cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I sold a listing broke during shipment - buyer refuses to give package for claim

Hi everyone - I sold a listing with  figurines. 

I packaged them very well - but one did not make it - it broke. 

I insured the package. There is no doubt the insurance claim will be paid because I packaged them very carefully. 

The buyer is refusing to take the box and items to usps for insurance purposes. 

USPS says she has to take all 3 figurines (yes even the undamaged) to file the claim. She does not want to give up the undamaged.

So now she want me to pay her for the damaged one so she can keep the others. 

To replace the broken one would be at least half of what she paid for the whole group. plus shipping.  sob

I am afraid of feedback retaliation if I dont comply but it does not seem fair. 

Any advise would be appreciated. 

Thank you in advance

Message 1 of 8
latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

Re: I sold a listing broke during shipment - buyer refuses to give package for claim

I'm pretty sure she would have to take them all in for the inspection and they'd likely keep them all.

I'm not sure how to proceed so I'm going to wait for more knowledgeable sellers to weigh in
Message 2 of 8
latest reply

Re: I sold a listing broke during shipment - buyer refuses to give package for claim

Hi! 

Thanks for responding - yes the post office has comfirmed they want all of the figurines before they would start the claim. 

I dont understand why the buyer expects me to refund her if she wont at least give the stuff to the PO.

I think she should give the package to the post office and get her money back. 

Ill gladly do it for her - shoot she can send them back to me and Ill do it. Ill refund her in the meantime - but that is not what she wants.

Shes gone as far as forwarding the cost of a "new" one with shipping and expecting me to pay for it? I just dont know how to proceed. 

Message 3 of 8
latest reply

Having her return it will void your insurance.
So you're stuck with having her return it for a full refund and just eating the cost of the broken one, or issuing a partial refund for the broken one if she won't cooperate with your claim
Message 4 of 8
latest reply

My 2 cents is she bought 3 and one broke.  Since she doesn't want to take the to the PO for insurance purposes.  I would tell her you will refund 1/3 for the broken item (you are NOT responsible that it costs more for her to by another)  or Return for Refund.   Stick to your guns on it.  If she leaves negative feedback make a professional non-emotional reply, "We offered 1/3 partial or return for refund, customer declined" and move on.

Member of the Grumpy Old Man crew
Message 5 of 8
latest reply

I can't say this is what I would do, but it's what I would hope to be able to do and stick to my guns.  You purchased insurance for a reason - so you wouldn't be out any money for shipping damage.  The buyer is negating your insurance.  So, the buyer can eat the loss.

I would tell buyer to cooperate or to keep them at her loss - or perhaps I would offer to split the loss with her and give her back 1/6 of the price, less the insurance cost.  If she files a SNAD, she'd have to return them and we know she doesn't want to.  If she sends rocks back, I'd report her and file postal fraud, etc. If she was local enough, I'd sue in small claims.  

Message 6 of 8
latest reply

Have you asked for pictures of the package and damaged item? That's all you need to file a claim. I'm not sure why the post office wants to see all of it or why the mail carrier can't inspect it, if needed.

Everyone has options. Just be sure the best option is right for you.
Message 7 of 8
latest reply

Reluctance to take the package to the PO may stem from the fact that there may be no evident damage to the packaging.  That would go along with the idea that perhaps the buyer broke the item unpacking, or after unpacking.

Message 8 of 8
latest reply