cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I need advice on a shipping issue.

So I sold an item and shipped out the day of purchase.   It's an intenational shipment and it's been 2 weeks, the buyer claims that because I didn't use tracking I must be fraudlent and that if it doesn't arrive in 3 days they will open a paypal claim.

I called Canada Post and they said it can take up to a little over 3 weeks sometimes depending on the border for a package to cross.  So I told them the situation and they asked me if I want to have the package halted which is something they do now by contacting the depot in the recievers city.  I told them to hold off.

So I contacted the buyer and offered two options.  

1) I could have the package halted and sent back and offer them a full refund as soon as Canada Post tells me its on it's way back which would be in about a day.

or 

2) They wait until the 3 or so weeks is up and if it doesn't arrive I would give them a full refund at that time.  I even sent them an e-mail to show to paypal stating that if they wait till then I wave my right to dispute a refund.

Ok obviously it would've been better to send with tracking but I was trying to keep my shipping costs down and avoid taxes and duty on the international shipping because they don't charge it on just regular mail.

So I've been waiting a couple of days and no response from the buyer.  What should I do?  I'm trying as hard as I can to make sure the buyer knows they are in no danger of losing money on this. 

Message 1 of 14
latest reply
13 REPLIES 13

You've done okay. I probably wouldn't have called the postal folks. And I wouldn't ask them to halt the shipment.

Where did you pay for the postage? Post office? You could send a copy of the receipt. Maybe a copy of the customs forms.

Depending on the value, (if it's kind of cheap and you can afford the loss) and we've done this before, we've offered to refund their payment as long as they send it again when the package arrives. I know most others will disagree with this but we've done this a few times and no buyer has ever asked for the refund. They seem pretty happy with the offer. But of course, that is only if you can afford to lose the money because there are a few dishonest folks out there.

Good luck!

Message 2 of 14
latest reply

I'm just worried that the buyer will try to keep the package and the money.  I know I can have the package reversed, but I'll see if I can have it halted at least till the buyer responds and we work out some kind of arrangement.   I just dont know why the buyer isn't responding. 

Message 3 of 14
latest reply

I send almost all of my international packages under 4 lbs First Class which will not have any tracking. Buyers would just complain more than they already do if you tried to charge for Priority or registered mail on cheap or small items. I do insure all International through Inkfrog which is very cheap to do. I would definitely not put the hold on the package. I also had buyers that were complete JERKS about the situation and NEVER responded back and there is nothing you can do. I would ask them to please be patient and and if it doesn't show up in the next couple of weeks you will have no problem issuing the full refund. Also state that it is not uncommon for items to take longer than this to get there. Save all of your messages from this buyer to use if there is a dispute. However, if the package does not ever show as delivered Ebay and Paypal will ALWAYS side with the Buyers unfortunately.
Message 4 of 14
latest reply

I did all that already and the buyer wont even respond.   The package was over 4lbs im pretty sure.  I told them to be patient and no answer so I might have no choice, as I said I just dont want to lose both the package and the payment.  Maybe if I put it on hold just long enough to get some proof of shipping or something that shows the package is there.

Message 5 of 14
latest reply

I ship all international packages thru ebay's global shipping service...then its on them if something goes wrong...Out of the hundreds of packages shipped throughout the globe, I have never had a package lost and maybe just one package that took 15 days to get to Australia...other than that, no complaints...I ship every package to the global shipping hub in Kentucky and they take it from there...I always use 1st class mail for under a pound and priority mail for anything 1 pound and over...hope this helps

Message 6 of 14
latest reply

The only reason I did it through regular shipping was to keep my shipping costs down and avoid taxes and duty for the buyer. 

Message 7 of 14
latest reply

MO.. Well, I you are not putting Tracking on some of your items---then this situation probably has happened to you before. But that is the risk you were willing to take. Or were not realizing this was a risk? If you did know the risk, I do not know why you expect this---or any buyer ---to trust you. Or why you would expect them to cooperate with you--in this arrangement you have offered to them. ???
Message 8 of 14
latest reply

MO..But without Tracking how are you going to prove ANYTHING TO the buyer or to Ebay. And while you have stated your reasons for doing thi---I do not think you asked the buyer whether this w\as going to be ok with him or nol???
Message 9 of 14
latest reply

ALL international packages have tracking.  Most countries use the number as the customs number AND the postal tracking.  Look for a number that starts with CA for Canada post.  It can be tracked on the CanadaPost site (in English or French) using the customs number off the label.

Message 10 of 14
latest reply

@highpoint55 wrote:
I send almost all of my international packages under 4 lbs First Class which will not have any tracking. Buyers would just complain more than they already do if you tried to charge for Priority or registered mail on cheap or small items. I do insure all International through Inkfrog which is very cheap to do. I would definitely not put the hold on the package. I also had buyers that were complete JERKS about the situation and NEVER responded back and there is nothing you can do. I would ask them to please be patient and and if it doesn't show up in the next couple of weeks you will have no problem issuing the full refund. Also state that it is not uncommon for items to take longer than this to get there. Save all of your messages from this buyer to use if there is a dispute. However, if the package does not ever show as delivered Ebay and Paypal will ALWAYS side with the Buyers unfortunately.

Even First class AND first class international have tracking numbers.  On international it is the customs number.

Message 11 of 14
latest reply

MO... You don't even know why buyer is not responding! He is not required to do so---and he probably already has decided you never sent him that package. He is probably pretty ticked off by now.
Message 12 of 14
latest reply

It's been 5 days, and even if he is ticked off. How does that help the situtation?  And I offered him two options involving a full refund.   

What more can I do?  invent a time machine and go back?   I understand he wants to be protected but I do as well.  

Maybe it is a **bleep** situation but at least I'm trying to find a solution and looking out for him making sure he knows if he doesnt get the package he will for sure get his money back.

Message 13 of 14
latest reply

This one's a mess but for the future......

Save on shipping costs by doing calculated shipping...that way the Buyer pays for shipping and not you.

If you sent it under the radar without tracking to save the Buyer customs fees, then the item must have some value or else there would be not much of a customs fee.  Sending something without tracking for all practical purposes means you gave it away and are wholly dependent upon the recipient Buyer being honest and not filing a bogus INR claim.

Message 14 of 14
latest reply