cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

😧 I mixed up 2 buyers packages! What’s the best way to fix it?

Buyer 1  got  buyer 2s item and visa versa!!  Haven’t yet heard from one buyer, but their package tracks as delivered today, so I messaged them just a bit ago.  Is there a way that I can pay for each buyer to ship to each other?  Oh geez 🙄 

Message 1 of 5
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Re: 😧 I mixed up 2 buyers packages! What’s the best way to fix it?

No that is not the correct way to handle it and giving our their addresses breaks the rules.  You have to provide paid labels for both of them to send the items back to YOU. Then you can reship to the correct buyers.

In some cases one buyer won't return the item if they received a better value. Then you will just have to refund the other if you don't have another to send them.

Like mucking out a stable, there is no "best" way to deal with it.

View Best Answer in original post

Message 2 of 5
latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

No that is not the correct way to handle it and giving our their addresses breaks the rules.  You have to provide paid labels for both of them to send the items back to YOU. Then you can reship to the correct buyers.

In some cases one buyer won't return the item if they received a better value. Then you will just have to refund the other if you don't have another to send them.

Like mucking out a stable, there is no "best" way to deal with it.

Message 2 of 5
latest reply

That's happened to many sellers at one point or another @marymelodee - it's a pain but it'll be in your past before you know it.

The problem with asking buyers to ship to each other is it's based on trust, and if one of the buyers does not follow through it creates a more difficult situation. On top of that, you'd need to get permission from each buyer to share the address with the other buyer.

The best thing to do is proactively send each buyer a prepaid return label. I suggest creating the labels through pirateship.com because when the label is generated you have the option of downloading a PDF or getting a URL that you can send to the buyer via eBay message so they can print the label. Plus if one or both buyers flake, you can void the unused label up to 4 weeks later. Be thorough when you generate the labels - you can enter your address in both the return address and ship to fields, but you will need to put in the buyer's address as the ship-from address.

Once you receive the returns you can offer to either ship the correct item or issue a refund, whichever they prefer.

If the second buyer chooses to not cooperate and keeps the item there is nothing you can do to force the situation.

Hopefully these were not expensive items to ship. Good luck.

GLORIOUS!

Confused about the switch to eBay discounted shipping? Read this discussion to make an informed decision about opt in / opt out.
Message 3 of 5
latest reply

No, pay to have the items returned to you, then you ship them to the correct buyers.

As a buyer, I'd be a little ticked if some seller gave my name and address to another buyer.

Have a great day
Message 4 of 5
latest reply

@marymelodee wrote:

Buyer 1  got  buyer 2s item and visa versa!!  Haven’t yet heard from one buyer, but their package tracks as delivered today, so I messaged them just a bit ago.  Is there a way that I can pay for each buyer to ship to each other?  Oh geez 🙄 

IMO, you can't trust the buyers to ship so the better way (even though you can't depend on the return either) is to forward return labels to you and you reship to the correct buyers.

albertabrightalberta
Volunteer Community Mentor

Message 5 of 5
latest reply