cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to report excessive shipping charges by sellers

Here is how to report excessive shipping on an item.  I was given this by talking to Ebay support today:  1) Select REPORT ITEM on the auction page, 2) Select LISTING PRACTICES, 3) Select AVOIDING EBAY FEES, 4) Select PAYMENT SURCHARGES.  These steps will allow EBay to look at the listing and take action.  I only did this because I am fed up with sellers who charge $22 for an item that weighs less than 1 pound that could be shipped first class.

Message 1 of 13
latest reply
12 REPLIES 12

They really aren't getting out of paying fees, as eBay charges the same percentage on the item, shipping, and sales tax.  So unless it is a tax avoidance thing, they aren't saving any fees.

Sellers can charge as much as they want for "shipping & handling".

As long as the shipping and handling charge was what you agreed to when you purchased then there is nothing to report as long as  they shipped by the method in the listing, or one with the same expected delivery time.

If the listing charges show as being for "overnight" service, and then comes "slo-boat", then there would be an issue.

Shop by total cost.

Message 3 of 13
latest reply

Did your eBay customer service rep identify what possible actions will eBay possibly take, other than to just ignore

your report?

Message 4 of 13
latest reply

@cgmcpo wrote:

Here is how to report excessive shipping on an item.  I was given this by talking to Ebay support today:  1) Select REPORT ITEM on the auction page, 2) Select LISTING PRACTICES, 3) Select AVOIDING EBAY FEES, 4) Select PAYMENT SURCHARGES.  These steps will allow EBay to look at the listing and take action.  I only did this because I am fed up with sellers who charge $22 for an item that weighs less than 1 pound that could be shipped first class.

Always best to remember shipping is chosen by the seller by what ever they feel comfortable in using. Or they are not always aware of all the options that are available. Remember to take into consideration rates involve weight, sometimes dimensions depending on the service, your location(total distance) and the amount they choose to use as a handling charge because of packaging expenses and eBay fees. As these factors change, the number of available options can change.

-Lotz

Message 5 of 13
latest reply

3) Select AVOIDING EBAY FEES

@cgmcpo 

^^^ This won't happen. They're unavoidable.

Message 6 of 13
latest reply

The best way to handle such sellers it not to buy from them.  

Message 7 of 13
latest reply

eBay is ok with a seller charging for & not shipping with the method specified in the listing for example USPS PRIORITY & shipping with a slower, much cheaper method for example First class or Media, no penalty levied on the seller if the package should arrive to the buyer by ebay's last estimated date for arrival.

Even if the seller ships by a slower ,cheaper method than specified in the listing & the package does arrive late, buyer will not be entitled to some refund of the excess postage paid to & received by the seller.

Message 8 of 13
latest reply

@ed8108 wrote:

eBay is ok with a seller charging for & not shipping with the method specified in the listing for example USPS PRIORITY & shipping with a slower, much cheaper method for example First class or Media, no penalty levied on the seller if the package should arrive to the buyer by ebay's last estimated date for arrival.

Even if the seller ships by a slower ,cheaper method than specified in the listing & the package does arrive late, buyer will not be entitled to some refund of the excess postage paid to & received by the seller.

But that would be a reason to be upset😊

Message 9 of 13
latest reply

eBay charges 10% fvf on shipping so they'll do nothing.

Also first class and priority mail are moving extremely slow, so maybe the seller wants to ship FedEx or UPS

Message 10 of 13
latest reply

@ed8108 wrote:

Many sellers, Canada, USA and Internationally use generic terms for shipping services. Something eBay has no problem with (Flat rate shipping byproduct). My favourite:  International Priority. It's nothing close to priority!! Personally, if I pay for a service I would like to know what service I am getting. I have a very dreamworld mentality but how I roll. 🙂  Similar to the sellers who use broad terms for where they ship from. (I realize there may be sellers who ship from several warehouses, but still that could be noted. Plus doing so gives bad intel when a buyer searches by distance.) When someone says they ship from Canada that to my mind is a bit vague. Like saying Europe.

-Lotz

Message 11 of 13
latest reply

Whoever you talked to was trying to get you off the phone.

Avoiding eBay fees is offering to sell outside of eBay.  

You never have to pay more than the shipping in the listing. If you think the shipping and handling is excessive don't bid.

Message 12 of 13
latest reply

Hi everyone,

Due to the age of this thread, it has been closed to further replies. Please feel free to start a new thread HERE if you wish to continue to discuss this topic.

Thank you for understanding.

Message 13 of 13
latest reply