cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can a buyer open an item not received case when it hasn't even had 24-hours to get to them

I cannot tell you how mad I am at eBay right now. A buyer opened an item not received case when the item was bought on Sunday and the case was opened on Tuesday morning, early afternoon. This platform is plain stupid at this point in time.

I have provided tracking and sent a message to the buyer to say it hasn't had a chance to get there. I have called eBay several times and they cannot do anything. This is plain abuse by the buyer and eBay needs to fix this issue right now. They should close the case and give the buyer another chance later on to open it if it hasn't gotten to them. Also eBay should do something to the buyer because they are abusing the system as a whole. 

Message 1 of 28
latest reply
27 REPLIES 27

How can a buyer open an item not received case when it hasn't even had 24-hours to get to them

Something doesn't sound right.

The buyer is not suppose to be able to file an Item Not Received case until AFTER the last estimated delivery date.

What is the item number?

disneyshopper
Volunteer Community Member

Message 2 of 28
latest reply

You have one, very impatient buyer I must say. Just wait it out and eventually the buyer will receive their package, then the INR case will close in your favor.

Message 3 of 28
latest reply

I had a similar experience and it all worked out in my favor. A buyer, who turned out to be a male senior citizen, purchased an item on a Saturday, which I shipped out on Monday morning with tracking. He opened an INR by Tuesday morning. I am on the West Coast and he was midland somewhere.
I didn't worry much at the time because I knew the package would arrive early, it was small and tracking was moving along just fine. I did send the gentleman a short message pointing out Monday morning was the soonest I could have shipped this out. He replied something along the lines that he was just making sure he got his package. He wrote very formally and included his full name with middle initial. That prompted me to look him up on Facebook so that's how I know what he looks like. I didn't respond back and his package was delivered by Wednesday morning. The INR case auto closed.
I sent him another message after delivery as I wanted to see what his reaction would be. He said he was "now happy" and actually left me positive FB.
Some people are incredibly impatient, more so in the days of online shopping. Just keep an eye on the tracking and you'll be fine....
Message 4 of 28
latest reply

@disneyshopper wrote:

Something doesn't sound right.

The buyer is not suppose to be able to file an Item Not Received case until AFTER the last estimated delivery date.

What is the item number?

The item number is 202218825899.  The order id is 20-03904-80004. I have called eBay more than once about this. They seriously should not be able to do this. It really is abusing the system in many ways. It looks like it may get delivered sometime today, 9/25. As soon as it is delivered I will call eBay again to get it closed.

What angers me even more is it also counts on my service metrics which I don't have a high rate of anyways. I have called way more than once about buyers being able to open item not received case when they received the item before even opening a case and no one can seem to remove it from service metrics.

Message 5 of 28
latest reply

Also, the estimated delivery date is September 30.
Message 6 of 28
latest reply

@computeraidllc wrote:
Also, the estimated delivery date is September 30.

For this transaction?  Because it shows me a estimate of sept 30 if I buy one today 

“Birth certificates show that you were born. Death certificates show that you died. Photographs show that you have lived.” -Unknown
Message 7 of 28
latest reply

Yes for that one transaction. Remember the buyer was also in the same state and Media Mail was the shipping method.
Message 8 of 28
latest reply

Maybe this person opened the case for another item that did not arrive. People can get confused sometimes and hit the wrong INR.

Message 9 of 28
latest reply

I do agree with you on the system allowing a buyer to open a case like this. Just plain stupid.

Message 10 of 28
latest reply

@computeraidllc wrote:
Yes for that one transaction. Remember the buyer was also in the same state and Media Mail was the shipping method.

That actually makes it make less sense that it shows sept 30th for me and the buyer. I'm further away, still media mail, two days after your buyer purchased it shows me sept 30th.  Further away and buying later would logically show me a later date then the transaction with your buyer 

“Birth certificates show that you were born. Death certificates show that you died. Photographs show that you have lived.” -Unknown
Message 11 of 28
latest reply

as you mentioned the word " may be" it has hurtled thousand of sellers on eBay, scammers never get confused when they do such kind of things. finally from OCT 1st reporting buyer reports will be taken very seriously by ebay.
Once one buyer placed order and i shipped it and then after its delivered he sent me message that his 1 year baby placed order by mistake...seriously!!! baby knows how to add the item to cart and do checkout and then review order and place order????
Message 12 of 28
latest reply

Yeah, but I would still wonder how they were able to open a case that early. I always thought that you couldn't open a INR case until the last delivery date. But maybe that has changed.

Message 13 of 28
latest reply

I also physically shipped it First Class because it was cheaper and faster to get to them. The listing has it as Media Mail with an option to pay for the faster service. I essentially upgrades the shipping.

Media Mail takes usually 7-10 business days to get to the buyer. So eBay's system might be factoring in you to be 10 business days away and my buyer 7 business days. Since it was bought on Sunday that would be 2 days difference.
Message 14 of 28
latest reply

I did call eBay today and had them close the case in my favor but still the system should not have allowed them to open a case this soon. It hadn't even been 24-hours since it shipped.

Message 15 of 28
latest reply