cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Having such a bad experience with a seller - it feels so unfair

I've always felt people were truly good, and have enjoyed buying and selling on eBay. I'm just a hobbyist. I recently won the bid on 2 vintage dolls sold together. There were few pictures, and I asked questions ahead of time. The reply was vague  and only partly answered. I have found when buying dolls, if there's a defect, they usually describe it or point it out in description. One doll was of little/no value, easy to know with these vintage dolls - she had a chewed off hand - no big deal, the value was in the other doll which is what I wanted. She was a valuable collectible. The seller listed in description "I'm not an expert on these dolls so ask questions". Which I did, and which they were vague on answer. Long story short, it felt like a punch in the gut when I received the dolls only to find the heads were on the bodies of the other doll. So - the valuable dolls head was on the cheap dolls body, and the body with the chewed hand with the cheap head on it actually belonged to the valuable doll. And of course the valuable dolls head was shoved on a neck knob too big so it was split. And there were pin holes in the bosom of the doll.

I wrote to the seller. They wrote back extremely insulted I would insinuate any deception (which I did not - just let them know how surprised and upset I was). Yada yada. They said send them back. It has taken forever to get them to press the button to Accept Return so the label generated. They wrote back saying "well, I was FORCED to pay for the shipping label, and I will not be reimbursing that part to you!". WTH. Is this how this goes? I don't dare rock the boat - I paid a LOT. Haven't been reimbursed yet. AND - they can retaliate and leave a nasty comment on my buyer profile. This just feels sooooo wrong.

Took away the joy of this fun hobby.

Message 1 of 15
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

You're covered.

For a Not As Described return, the seller cannot withhold any portion of the refund.

If they try, then in a few days you should see the option to "Ask eBay to Step In"

Also, buyers cannot get negative feedback.  It's impossible.  They can only get positives.  If the seller leaves you a nasty postive, you can get it removed by eBay and they'll get a policy violation too.

Sorry you've run into an issue with this seller.  There are some that have no clue about selling or what customer service is.  

Don't let one bad apple spoil the bunch. 

View Best Answer in original post

Message 2 of 15
latest reply
14 REPLIES 14

You're covered.

For a Not As Described return, the seller cannot withhold any portion of the refund.

If they try, then in a few days you should see the option to "Ask eBay to Step In"

Also, buyers cannot get negative feedback.  It's impossible.  They can only get positives.  If the seller leaves you a nasty postive, you can get it removed by eBay and they'll get a policy violation too.

Sorry you've run into an issue with this seller.  There are some that have no clue about selling or what customer service is.  

Don't let one bad apple spoil the bunch. 

Message 2 of 15
latest reply

First of all, let me say that I am sorry this happened to you--it is never fun to deal with a difficult seller. They ruin it for the rest of us honest sellers, those of us who care about our buyers and our reputations.

Secondly--do not worry about a thing.  It does not matter how long she takes to accept the return, you are more than covered by eBay in this situation. One thing that eBay has done for buyers here, is put into place strict rules about returns. You WILL get your money back--so don't worry about that.

Although what struck me the most about your post, and the real reason I am writing this response--is the complete unprofessionalism and rudeness your seller is demonstrating.  By taking her time and waiting to accept the return, and by refusing to cooperate, or admit any wrongdoing, they are acting very unprofessionally. However, telling you that they are not going to pay for the shipping back, is downright rude--and also could not be further from the truth. They have NO power or authority to deduct any money from your refund (again--eBay has rules about this), and by telling you that they do--they are either woefully misinformed, or they are just a ridiculous jerk. 

I get the feeling that you are a very nice person--and your seller is using slimy intimidation techniques to intimidate and essentially harrass you. It isn't fair and it isn't right. I advise you to show your displeasure with negative feedback. The seller CANNOT leave a negative for you in return--nor can they leave a positive with negative wording--you can easily have anything they leave in your feedback removed by eBay. AND they will be advised by eBay that leaving such feedback for buyers is prohibited.  Leave something like this: "Dolls were in very poor condition--not as described"  or "Seller lacks professionalism and courtesy--very bad experience."

I take offense to sellers who act like yours is--and I feel strongly that they need to be weeded out--we have enough issues here without bad sellers running off good buyers. You did nothing wrong here--you absolutely should not be forced to keep a doll with a split head--furthermore, you shouldn't even be asked to accept (no matter if it is cheap) a doll with a chewed up hand. To not include those defects in the description or to disclose them when you asked questions--before you purchased your items is completely negligent on the seller's part. IF you start to feel bad about it, I advise you to ask yourself this, "If you were the seller here, would you have sent those dolls, in that condition to a buyer? Would you have failed to disclose the flaws? And when called to task for misrepresenting your items, would you have then been difficult and rude" I think not. 

Message 3 of 15
latest reply

Thank you soooo much! I have goosebumps and could almost cry. I needed to hear these encouraging words. I can't believe how bad and sick I have felt about this - afraid I've lost my money and will get more nasty messages from her. I have found nothing but wonderful people when buying and selling my fun little hobby treasures. And you're absolutely right - when I sell something, I'm extremely proud of it and provide all the pictures that will fit in a listing and every detail of the item. I would bend over backwards to make it right if I did not delight a buyer. This seller feels they have covered themself by saying: "I'm not a Barbie expert, so I'll do my best to answer questions". And I DID ask questions (I still have the message). She did not answer them in her reply. I just trusted it was because all was ok. Minimally, how could a vintage Barbie doll with large pinholes in each breast be considered "the other doll has no damage"! That's pretty damaged for a collectable doll. "I don't much appreciate you insinuating I've deceived you or anybody else with this". I'm pretty sure it's why she didn't include any pictures of the dolls without their clothes - but I did not say that. Even called her ma'am and apologized for causing her upset. If I lose the $8 she's holding out for shipping, so be it. Lesson learned - buyer beware.

Thank you for your kindness in replies. I really needed to hear these encouraging words.

Message 4 of 15
latest reply

Take emotions out of it, seriously.  Seller is being a jerk, follow ebay return rules.  File the not as described, give the seller the time to fix it, when they dont, get your money back.  Pretty easy.  You do not have to pay return shipping either.  

Wherever you go, there you are. Please remember, when you are asked if you are a god, you say yes.
Message 5 of 15
latest reply

I'm sorry you ran into a bad seller.   I assume that you opened a return case for Item Not As Described.  Just stick to the facts and you'll be able to return the dolls for a full refund.  The last thing to do, after it's all over, is to leave appropriate feedback. 

Message 6 of 15
latest reply

Well - I was so nervous when I went to choose the Reason for Return, I chose "Arrived Damaged". Will the seller still be able to hold back part of the refund for that option? Again, thank you for your support and words of wisdom - such a great eBay community.

Message 7 of 15
latest reply

No they won't.  YOU are in the driver's seat here - you don't need tow orry aboout anything.  Just use the eBay system the way it should be used.  Wait the alotted time frames for each step, them move to the next action. 

You have opened the case, the seller has to accept it.  If she doesn't, then contact eBay through the case.  They will either send you a return label, or they will refund your money witout you having to return the dolls.  Do NOT pay any attention to any ranting the seller does.  IGNORE her, and absolutely do NOT answer her. 

If you end up sending back the dolls, do not worry about good packaging except for being sure the package won't get torn open.  The dolls are worthless, no need to be excessive in protecting them. 

When you ship, you must keep a copy of the tracking number so you can check it.  When the seller receives them back she has 2 days to refund your money.  If she doesn't - again contact eBay through the case (ask eBay to step in),  eBay will refund your money. 

Take a deep breath or two or three, take your emotions out of this, it is a business transaction, and nothing else. 

----------------------------
Successful and experienced seller since 1997, over 70,000 feedback, boardie since the boards were begun.
Message 8 of 15
latest reply

As a long time seller, you are the buyer I don't mind.  When I screw up and find out I have screwed up I take care of you.  I have messed up a hand full of time over the years an always make sure the buyer is made whole.  On the other hand I do not mind taking out sellers that sell junk.  You stay unemotional.  I want to return because the item is not as described.  Simple.  You might have to return the dolls but you do not have to pay shipping.  Do not give into the seller for this.  You do have to make sure it gets to the seller.  Definitely, use shipping.  That being said, I would pack them as well as I could because the seller could raise some kind of stink.  You dont want the package becoming destroyed in transit.  The easiest thing to do would be use the original box and materials.

Wherever you go, there you are. Please remember, when you are asked if you are a god, you say yes.
Message 9 of 15
latest reply

@prima63 wrote:

Well - I was so nervous when I went to choose the Reason for Return, I chose "Arrived Damaged". Will the seller still be able to hold back part of the refund for that option? Again, thank you for your support and words of wisdom - such a great eBay community.

That’s the correct return reason. There are 2 types of returns on eBay-remorse and not as described. “Arrived damaged” falls under “not as described”. You’ve done everything correct here and the seller cannot issue a partial refund.

One life is all we have to live
Love is all we have to give

**Formerly known as MissJen316**
Message 10 of 15
latest reply

@missjen831 wrote:

You’ve done everything correct here and the seller cannot issue a partial refund.

They can offer it, the buyer doesn't have to accept it.

Message 11 of 15
latest reply

@robot-hands wrote:

@missjen831 wrote:

You’ve done everything correct here and the seller cannot issue a partial refund.

Interesting. I was wondering how this will go next.

I followed all the advice here: packed them up in original packaging, (nicely); took pictures as I packaged them. Sent them back, followed via tracking link. I called eBay in the meanwhile because the seller said: "send your item back for a full refund of your original purchase however we will not reimburse the return shipping fee. Also we will be out of town for an extended period of time coming up so the sooner we receive your item the sooner you will get reimbursed."

eBay said: "no worries, they have 3 days to reimburse you. If they don't, we'll take care of it. You will be reimbursed." I'm assuming even if that means they're away for a month or more. The package was received yesterday, and eBay sent an email acknowledgment. So if the sender offers a partial refund, now I know not to accept it. I will wait for eBay to step in and allow my full refund.

Thank you all again - this is back to being a joyful hobby for me 🙂 

Message 12 of 15
latest reply

UPDATE!!

Just after I pressed the send button for my last reply, my email "binged" and lo and behold, a message from eBay stating my refund has been sent - the full amount! They must have discovered they couldn't send a partial without somehow contacting eBay. The saga is over!!

Thank you eBay Community - you're wonderful. I learned a lot from this, and will continue with my buying fun more carefully. "Don't assume" is my new motto.

Wish I could click the "Accept as Solution" button for every reply. All very helpful.

Message 13 of 15
latest reply

OP - click Archive to save all of her responses so you have a history of working with her. (eBay deletes emails after a period of time)
If you're anything like me - I forget a bad experience and, months or years down the line, cannot remember who to avoid.
Then if you're shopping and wonder "hmm, was this that person from Aug 2018?" you can check Archives.
Also, before purchase, click ID history on a potential seller to see if they changed their name.

Message 14 of 15
latest reply

@robot-hands wrote:

@missjen831 wrote:

Nope. Because the return was already approved. This is a different situation. The seller can offer a partial refund when the buyer opens a return request. But once the SNAD return is approved, the seller is required to refund in full. I. This situation the seller did NOT offer a partial refund. He was trying to issue a partial after the fact and for invalid reasons.

One life is all we have to live
Love is all we have to give

**Formerly known as MissJen316**
Message 15 of 15
latest reply