cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Global Shipping Program is is a money grab

I have been buying a few items of late that are not all that expensive, under $25US, and are not all that heavy. (ie. a small wrench for a micrometer weighs about 1/4 oz.) and end up paying upwards to $30US for shipping to me here in Canada. Throw it in a padded envelope and should cost at most $3US.

I don't have a problem with paying shipping charges for items, I don't expect Free shipping, it is a service. But why does one have to pay such exorberant fees on top of the normal shipping fees?

I just asked a seller if I could get a better price, and he said he only was charging $10US (which I would have been very happy with) and I was charged another $15US ($25US total) for the Global Shipping Program which then ramped up my total (item + shipping) to a whopping $51US (after exchange rate it is $86).

Certain things it is cheaper to buy new in a store here.

Whose pocket am I lining, or child am I helping pay to go to Harvard?

Message 1 of 24
latest reply
23 REPLIES 23

Re: Global Shipping Program is is a money grab

@buyselljack2016 wrote:

@freeshipusa1 wrote:

correct,GSP SELLERS must ship all intl packages via GSP,he may not even be able to make a new listing opting out of GSP,but he can use another seller ID to ship USPS .

Most sellers haev more than one eBAY Id,FOR selling, for buying,for mischief 

I am no longer playing GSP, but when I was, I was able to "opt in", or "opt out" on a listing by listinging basis. Some things just did not make sense(value, cost,shipping wise) to be in the GSP.   Not sure if some sellers are not afforded that option, but at that time I was. Did not need to use another ID for GSP, non-GSP.

$3 shipping( shipping without tracking), as you have already proven by your cited  example is not practical for any eBay seller. Refund INR, refund INR, refund INR................................

Not all goods qualify for GSP,may be the items you are able to opt out are not GSP candidates,

Message 16 of 24
latest reply

@freeshipusa1 wrote:
intl first class now goes to 15 ounces,so a small item could go first class with tracking to Canada.
go to USPS website and check.
most sellers welcome intl business,Canada is a safe place to do business,he could make a new listing for you ,may be under a different Ebay id and ship USPS first class to save you money

First Class Package International actually goes up to 4 pounds (even for Flats).  The cheapest Package range is the 1-8 ounce - for $9.50.

The ranges are:

1-8 oz

9-32 oz

33-48 oz

49-64 oz

The prices to Canada are $9.50, 15.50, 24.50 and 36.50

Message 17 of 24
latest reply

First class international is NOT only for up to 15 ounces - it is all the way up to 4 pounds. Really different from our normal postal rates.
Message 18 of 24
latest reply

Since the introduction of E-DELCON tracking I've found USPS 1st Class International to be very good to Oz. I wish US sellers were not so slavishly committed to the GSP for lightweight smaller items.
Just this week I watched an item I'd have liked to buy not sell. It is dolls clothes - hardly a large heavy item. The seller has relisted the item $15 US dollars cheaper...but the GSP to Oz is $29.89 US (that's $39.48 AU). I don't want to pay nearly $40 for a slow inefficient shipping service when I know USPS 1st Class Int (at a far more reasonable price) can do the job better. The item still hasn't sold and I had considered contacting the seller but all their listings are GSP so I'm guessing it's that or nothing where overseas sales are concerned. Sigh.
Message 19 of 24
latest reply

I know track-able shipping isn't available at $3, but I did also say I would have paid $10 which then would have been track-able as an option I believe.
As long as my total cost (item + shipping) is reasonable, I buy.
I just hate seeing unexpected costs added onto along the way.
Even with the horrible exchange rate of late. (.75 cents on the dollar atm)
You all should travel up here for your holidays, they will last 25% longer 😛
Message 20 of 24
latest reply

@javaman2kwrote:
I know track-able shipping isn't available at $3, but I did also say I would have paid $10 which then would have been track-able as an option I believe.
As long as my total cost (item + shipping) is reasonable, I buy.
I just hate seeing unexpected costs added onto along the way.
Even with the horrible exchange rate of late. (.75 cents on the dollar atm)
You all should travel up here for your holidays, they will last 25% longer 😛

$10 isn’t enough and wouldn’t cover shipping. You can’t ship anything internationally for less than $10. First class international package Starts at

over $14. 

One life is all we have to live
Love is all we have to give

**Formerly known as MissJen316**
Message 21 of 24
latest reply

@missjen831wrote:

$10 isn’t enough and wouldn’t cover shipping. You can’t ship anything internationally for less than $10. First class international package Starts at

over $14. 

The op is in Canada so the retail price starts at $10.🙂

Message 22 of 24
latest reply

@pjcdn2005wrote:

@missjen831wrote:

over $14. 

But isn’t he a buyer complaining about high shipping costs from the US/and GSP?

One life is all we have to live
Love is all we have to give

**Formerly known as MissJen316**
Message 23 of 24
latest reply

@missjen831wrote:

@pjcdn2005wrote:

@missjen831wrote:

over $14. 

But isn’t he a buyer complaining about high shipping costs from the US/and GSP?

Yes, the price for USPS first class package to Canada from the US starts at about $10 so they said they were willing to pay that. For Gsp the  shipping portion starts at about $14 if the sellers domestic shipping is free.   I was referring to first class.

Message 24 of 24
latest reply