cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GSP Repackages AND removes items??

So, I received a shipment of what was supposed to be 140 comic magazines from the UK to North Carolina via GSP. The comics were shipped in a box with zero packing material, which caused further damage to the magazines. Seller's feedback showed that this has happened before, but when I questioned my dissatisfaction with the packing job, the seller actually blamed GSP for repacking the box, which I found very odd.

Later that day, I count the comics and see that I have 10 less than what was advertised. Contact the seller again and he/she states "In our experience, the GSP team will repackage some larger items to make sure that they are more generously under the weight limits of international couriers, in which case they will discard of some of a packages contents."

So, this seller is saying that GSP will remove actual product to get the package under a certain weight? Wouldn't that be an enormously big problem for a shipping program to remove part of what a buyer has purchased? Is this really happening or am I in the Twilight Zone right now...?

Message 1 of 8
latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

If you received ten fewer comics than you paid for, file a SNAD. Doesn't really matter what happened to them . . .

(That being said, I've never run across this complaint before. Maybe someone else has?)
Message 2 of 8
latest reply

Sounds more like you are getting jerked around by the seller. I don't usually like to suggest this,  but in this particular case I think you should file a NAD case with Ebay. I use the GSP and have had no issues with it. It appears the seller is trying to shift the blame. I don't think the GSP would be allowed to remove items from the packages for any reason. That amounts to theft. 

Message 3 of 8
latest reply

The GSP is known to repack things into smaller boxes and eliminate some packing materials if they feel it's necessary, but they don't get rid of the merchandise. It can happen if there's an error but it's not a standard practice. File a not as described claim.

Message 4 of 8
latest reply

It's not unusual. -Tom Jones, a Brit

eBay Global Scamming Program.png

Message 5 of 8
latest reply

Absolutely happens all the time.

Message 6 of 8
latest reply

@ibeforej wrote:

So, I received a shipment of what was supposed to be 140 comic magazines from the UK to North Carolina via GSP. The comics were shipped in a box with zero packing material, which caused further damage to the magazines. Seller's feedback showed that this has happened before, but when I questioned my dissatisfaction with the packing job, the seller actually blamed GSP for repacking the box, which I found very odd.

Later that day, I count the comics and see that I have 10 less than what was advertised. Contact the seller again and he/she states "In our experience, the GSP team will repackage some larger items to make sure that they are more generously under the weight limits of international couriers, in which case they will discard of some of a packages contents."

So, this seller is saying that GSP will remove actual product to get the package under a certain weight? Wouldn't that be an enormously big problem for a shipping program to remove part of what a buyer has purchased? Is this really happening or am I in the Twilight Zone right now...?

I have bought many items from the  UK with GSP. 

I have never had any of my packages even opened for inspection during shipment. They have always been shipped on in the original packaging, which I can tell has not been opened, with the GSP shipping labels applied in addition to the original shipping labels (usually over top of them). I believe the terms of the service say that they *may* open, inspect, and/or repack, but in my experience this has never happened, so I doubt that it is very common. 

Removing some contents of the package at random, without notice, would be unethical and illegal. It would be stealing. The GSP may have to decline to ship some items internationally, if they aren't allowed to be imported to the destination country, but in that case, they disallow the entire shipment and refund the buyer in full.

So I would so that no, your seller is trying to pass the buck. 

As far as the weight limit goes ... I did a google search, and found a thread discussing the weight of packaged comic books, and found that 5 oz was considered generous for a single comic, so 140 comics might weight 700 oz or  43.75 lbs.  That is 19.85 kg. So the package weight would be permissible, as long as the dimensions of the box were acceptable.

For the UK GSP program: "The item must weigh no more than 30kg and be no larger than 125,000 cm³, and no longer than 120cm on the longest side. It should be worth no more than £2,000. "

Message 7 of 8
latest reply

Too late to ^^edit^^.

https://sellercentre.ebay.co.uk/private/global-shipping-programme#prohibited

125,000 cc = 7627.96801 cubic inches

That would be a box  19.685 inches on each side.

If the package were too large or heavy to be shipped internationally, then the GSP would disallow it for shipping, and refund the buyer in full. Then they resell the item domestically to recoup the money.

Message 8 of 8
latest reply