cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

First class shipping delays

It seems that first class mail is taking upwards of 3 weeks sometimes to reach a buyer, even in the same state!

Any other sellers experiencing problems with buyers starting cases on items not received after 5 days because EBay says there isn't a problem?

Message 1 of 27
latest reply
26 REPLIES 26

Priority isn't any better at this point. I shipped 2 packages on July 24. One was first class to Georgia. It arrived in 3 days. The other, a Priority box to Florida, still has not arrived. I refunded the buyer the cost of shipping-she was pretty mad and I don't need a black mark on my record for $8.50.  I've added a disclaimer to my listings about delays and hope that it helps. But I'm seriously considering dropping USPS shipping in favor of other services, at least for my heavier items in the near future.

Message 16 of 27
latest reply

Forgot to say I'm in Michigan and shipping- as a buyer and a seller- is abysmal.

Message 17 of 27
latest reply

@scifiwriter99 wrote:

Absolutely!  Ebay forced me to issue a refund for an item that was late even though it was in transit to the buyer.  I'm going to keep an eye on the tracking and when it gets delivered I will dispute the buyer's claim and hope that eBay reimburses me for the refund.

Many of my items are taking a week or more to be accepted by USPS. Angry buyers are accusing me of not shipping their items. Although Priority Mail is better, I even have a Priority Mail package that hasn't been accepted after a week.

Ebay should extend the expected delivery time so that buyers don't have unrealistic ideas about when they will receive their items.

That would be a great idea. It has been brought up, and falls on deaf ears.

Just today I did a label to ship tomorrow (Monday).  Going from the East coast to Hawaii. Suggests that it can be there in 2 days by 1st Class mail.  Shows next day for Priority, and Priority Express.  USPS dot com shows 2 days for Express.

Hawaii estimate  express - Copy.jpg

If I ship on Tuesday, instead of Monday, the 1st Class estimate jumps out a week.

Makes no sense what so ever.

Hawaii estimate  5 - Copy.jpg

Message 18 of 27
latest reply

The delays really started increasing rapidly a few weeks ago because of the actions of the new postmaster general, Louis DeJoy, who is a heavy Trump donor with no postal service experience. Trump believes the expanded mail-in voting being adopted in many states because of the pandemic works against his re-election chances. So any deliberate delay in mail delivery may help Trump (34 states require mail-in ballots be received by election day regardless of the postmark). So expect the delays to increase as we approach election day. It's quite possible this tactic will work and get Trump re-elected.

Message 19 of 27
latest reply

I, too am having the same problems with Postal Service mishandling that I’m reading about here. I completely understand everyone’s frustration, but also now realize the situation isn’t unique to me. 

Please read the the copy of my email to eBay Customer Service, below. I’m hoping that we, the sellers and buyers will be able to join together for an equitable resolution to the messy situation in which we find ourselves today. I am concerned for  the future of the eBay Community and it’s customer base.

Thank you...

Re: Email to eBay Customer Service 

August 02, 2020:

Greetings,

I am requesting assistance with recent eBay seller injustices, causing major disservice to our businesses. In my case, I've experienced an unusual number of USPS shipping delays with sale items, particularly over the last month. Buyers are reporting Postal Service Mail tracking irregularities, including missing scans for days after shipments have actually been received by the Postal Facility.

My eBay sale items are always labeled and shipped within 24 hrs. of checkout. Even so, over the last month a majority of these shipments have not been scanned as confirmed received by the Post Office for days, and sometimes not until the shipment has already been delivered.

Even when finally scanned, there are lengthy gaps between arrival and dispatch scans, with parcels being delayed in sort facilities for days at a time. I've monitored tracking status of my last 30 to 40 shipments for the last month. I've discovered consistent irregularities and delays with approximately 45% of them. In most of these cases, there are no (zero) scans of the labels, even after as many as 14 days from label creation and shipping.

Several "in transit" shipments are notated "delayed delivery" but still not received as of the estimated delivery date. As of this date, 7 to 9 of my items have been "in transit" for as many as 15 to 16 days.

This brings me to the issues of concern for myself and eBay sellers. Our buyers are getting very impatient with the, apparent U.S. Postal Service failure to perform their obligations. Most are not yet aware of the widespread reports of deliberate service disruption by the Postal Service, at the behest of Donald Trump. They may be aware of "COVID-19 pandemic delay issues," which is justified by reduced mail transportation availability as a result of the virus. But, this does not account for extraordinary handling delays during times packages are in possession of Postal Facilities, or Tracking Scan failures.

Buyers only see shipping delays and tracking irregularities as manifestations of "Seller" incompetence. Because I try to maintain a reputation of customer service excellence, I'vealready issued buyer requested full refunds for "delayed shipments," even though these items are eventually delivered. As a result of service failures beyond my control, I'm losing sales and being charged with "tracking upload" and "late shipment" penalties to my Seller Account Standards.

I have reason to believe many other eBay sellers are suffering these injustices and, like myself, may have to consider suspending eBay selling if this is allowed to continue. As a long-time eBay seller and account holder, I'm hoping eBay management will recognize that a serious problem currently exists for sellers and buyers. I would hope that adjustments in eBay policy will correct the unjustified harm to seller businesses and buyer concept of eBay customer service.

Regards,

Message 20 of 27
latest reply

South Georgia is bad right now especially median packages. Jacksonville is clogged up apparently 

Message 21 of 27
latest reply

The weird delivery times to Hawaii from one day to the next might be because the Postal Service may know when their flights to Hawaii are booked. Hypothetically, if the plane to Hawaii goes off every Wednesday for example, you need to have your mail in the system by monday. If you drop of Tuesday, you have to wait another week.  Just speculating a logical explanation. I don't really know.

Message 22 of 27
latest reply

Actually, the worst problem with Hawaii mail is when it has to go into a shipping container on the west coast.  Then it sits, with no updates, in the container for weeks until it is full and ready to go onto a ship headed for Honolulu, after which it gets distributed fairly quickly.  This used to only afflict Parcel Rate, but I think other grades of mail may be coming slow coach as well these days.

Coffee is my friend.

T&S Tool #10mm ratchet
Message 23 of 27
latest reply

sorry I bought from eBay have not received product

Message 24 of 27
latest reply

You can file appeals with ebay with proof of delivery.  You can appeal negative feedback when the problem in the feedback is beyond your Control. I even apealed a "wife didn't like" and got it removed. Ebay agreed with me that it wasn't my fault she didn't like it.

If you get emails first, tell the buyer the emergency at usps and try to assure them it takes 30 days now. I stopped selling. Looks like trumps new guy at the post office will have it messed up for a long time.

Message 25 of 27
latest reply

I have had multiple package delays in Jacksonville, Fl.  I have filed cases on 2 and had a call from a postal worker in Decatur, GA.  She had me on hold for 45 minutes before I hung up.  I am offering my buyers the option for Priority.  It seems to be getting to the destination on time.  No one has requested a refund.  All have been kind and patient, so far.  I sure hope USPS gets it's act together.

Message 26 of 27
latest reply

Guess I have been lucky, mail about 50 packages a week, mostly first class, all have been  delivered within 2 or 3 days, even the international are only taking about 5 days. I drop off at a distribution center in South Jersey, only thing off is I'm seeing some first scans from Trenton, Pittsburgh and Phila. centers instead of where I drop it off at.

Message 27 of 27
latest reply