cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fine example why I'm not going to use the Global Shipping Program for this item from a US seller

Just check out this video, why does the Global Shipping Program think I should pay $8 import charges for a $2 item?    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n6ev8iqo4sI

Message 1 of 18
latest reply
17 REPLIES 17

Re: Fine example why I'm not going to use the Global Shipping Program for this item from a US seller

A $2 item should be purchased locally. 

Message 2 of 18
latest reply

Re: Fine example why I'm not going to use the Global Shipping Program for this item from a US seller

Sorry, don't take it personally, but why do you feel the need to give such advice? Do you think before typing this? Have you sought for a moment maybe that item can't be found locally?
Message 3 of 18
latest reply

That item is $27 ($33 CAD) so the $8 import charges (taxes + handling) are not that outrageous.

Also it can definitely be found locally here in Montreal.

She ❤︎ Her ❤︎ Hers
Message 4 of 18
latest reply

As for the $27, I am mentioning it in the message body, and it's also explained in the video, I made a $2 offer to see what the import charges are, and still get $7.50 import charges on a $2 item value.  

Message 5 of 18
latest reply

Let me guess: you're the one who posted the video and you're trying to get views. The video was posted yesterday, and I cannot believe you just stumbled across it within the first 18 hours it was posted. There have been only nine views on the video.

Here's the beauty of eBay, or any other online retailer, for that matter. You throw an item in your cart, you see the total cost of your purchase. You think shipping's too high? Don't buy it. You think the import tax is too high? Don't buy it. You don't like items sold through the Global Shipping Program? Don't buy them.

I don't know what your agenda is, but if you're hawking your YouTube video on an eBay discussion board, you lose all credibility.
Message 6 of 18
latest reply

The hole idea is a criticism of this aspect of the  Global Shipping Program.  I see there are people here who don't take criticism too well.  Good and fact based criticism has the chance to change and improve things.  If you disagree with the point of view of the topic, good thing, but use honest arguments, not attitudes and 'disciplinary' answers.

Message 7 of 18
latest reply

I don’t think it will take into the consideration for import charges until the offer is accepted.    A lot of times with auctions when you bid it won’t show you the correct new import charges until after the bid is made.  So I would imagine the offer is the same situation 

“Birth certificates show that you were born. Death certificates show that you died. Photographs show that you have lived.” -Unknown
Message 8 of 18
latest reply

I do remember indeed that import charges change (increase) on bid auctions, as the bid increases.  That is true, however this situation is about a Buy it now or rather Make an offer item.  It seems in a Make an offer situation, the import charges are set for the Asked price value, and won't adjust depending on the Offer value (assuming the offer is accepted).

On the other side, sending an offer with those import charges displayed, is accepting the import charges displayed at that moment.  From past purchases, I don't remember seeing import charges changing (lowering) at the moment of making the actual payment.

Message 9 of 18
latest reply

Yes, the Global Shipping Program is not suitable for all items. Especially for items being sent to Canada, and low-priced items in general. Nobody can force you to use the GSP. If you don't want to pay the import charges, then don't. Buy the item somewhere else. 

This is not new, it has always been the case. This has been known since the GSP started, years ago. This information is all over the internet.

Message 10 of 18
latest reply

Folks, it is not about being 'forced' to buy anything.  And please would you stop with this "if you don't want to pay then don't buy" thing?  We are adults and know about this already.

As for low cost items being shipped to Canada, fully agree, the GPS is killing most of these transactions.  In the end, for them is a matter of profit and have to live with it.  I remember ordering a car key fob, the US seller would send it to the local GPS for about $2 in a small padded mailer, then GPS would place the small mailer directly inside a huge box and ship it to Canada for around $25. 

I don't think GPS is a bad program.  Quite the contrary, it allowed US sellers to ship more items to Canada - and this helped both Canadians buyers and US sellers as they could sell the item at a higher bid - the more the bidders, the higher the price.  However, I think GPS needs to stay more transparent and upfront about their fees, and also to ask more reasonable fees on some situations.  As you mention, this has been a long debated issue - not a reason to keep it quiet since it doesn't seem to have been properly addressed to this day.

Message 11 of 18
latest reply

@oragex wrote:

The hole idea is a criticism of this aspect of the  Global Shipping Program.  I see there are people here who don't take criticism too well.  Good and fact based criticism has the chance to change and improve things.  If you disagree with the point of view of the topic, good thing, but use honest arguments, not attitudes and 'disciplinary' answers.

The WHOLE idea...

Message 12 of 18
latest reply

Pitney Bowes’ handling fee is actually lower than Canada Post’s ($9.95CAD). For a $2 or $27 item, Pitney Bowes’ fee (which covers both taxes and handling) would therefore be around the same.

But just like shipping a $2 bowling ball domestically might not make financial sense, importing a $2 item across borders might not either?

She ❤︎ Her ❤︎ Hers
Message 13 of 18
latest reply

So ask the seller to ship it directly to you. Shipping to Canada is easy and I love selling to my northern neighbors. I have Canada on most listings but if I don’t ans a buyer asks I add it.
Patricia
eBay member for 25 years
Message 14 of 18
latest reply

Thanks Patricia, this is what I would usually do - even if often times it's not successful.  As is everywhere else, US Ebay sellers have various preferences about selling to Canada, some will kindly help, others feel it's too much hassle - to each it's own.  Always a pleasure to be able to purchase there and to see the communication working nicely.

@ nocoolnamejane  That is very true, Canada Posts have quite high shipping fees even for small items, even just when shipping within Canada, the low competition here and the very high Canada Post employees incomes make shipping fees quite surprisingly high for us, Canadians.  We don't even come close to the costs of shipping using USPS or alike services by the US neighbours.  Canada Post is a federal government department, not a private company, which surely explains the high employees income and service fees.

Message 15 of 18
latest reply