cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fedex direct signature required vs adult signature required, Which one do I need?

I sold an item that requires a signature and will be shipping by Fedex.

There are 2 options, direct signature required vs adult signature required, Direct signature required (shows no aditional fee) or  adult signature required (which adds $5.50).

My guess is Adult  signature required but want to see if anyone knows for sure.

Thanks

Message 1 of 11
latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

Fedex direct signature required vs adult signature required, Which one do I need?

All I know is my medicine comes fed ex overnight, direct signature required & an adult over 18 has to sign for it. Preferably myself.

Important to note, I get my meds every month so I get to know my driver. It might be different if the receiver doesn’t know their driver well.

Patricia
eBay member for 25 years
Message 2 of 11
latest reply

This is from fedex. My answer was my own experience.

Direct Signature Required
A signature can be obtained from any individual at the address specified on the package. Select this option by coding the field as 2399,"3" to deliver the shipment with when a direct signature is obtained. FedEx charges a fee for this service. This service option is available for FedEx Express. Address corrections are permitted.
Adult Signature Required
A signature can only be obtained from an individual 21 years of age or older at the address specified on the package. Select this option by coding the field as 2399,"4" to deliver the shipment only when an adult signature is obtained. A government-issued, photo ID is required for age verification. This service option incurs a fee for all deliveries. This service option is available for FedEx Express. Address corrections are not permitted.
Patricia
eBay member for 25 years
Message 3 of 11
latest reply

@custom-blinds wrote:

I sold an item that requires a signature 

Your $639.99 item does not 'require' a signature by policy here.  Did your listing mention it would?  Has your buyer agreed to that and stated they will be available to sign?

If so, USPS also has a signature option.

Forget keeping up with the Joneses. Be the Finklegrubers!
OK kids, time to get the Dodge loaded up again. I hear 'Poppy's By the Tree' calling. This trip might be a long one too.
Message 4 of 11
latest reply

So I dont need a signature to be coverd by eBay and or Pypal with the seller protection if the buyer says they never got it but it shows as delivered?

For some reason I thought anything over $250.00 required one.

Thanks

Message 5 of 11
latest reply

$750 last I heard.

OK kids, time to get the Dodge loaded up again. I hear 'Poppy's By the Tree' calling. This trip might be a long one too.
Message 6 of 11
latest reply

As others stated, it doesn't require a signature for eBay or PayPal seller protections unless the transaction total is $750 or more. Any signature (Indirect) is sufficient to satisfy that requirement.

Don't know where you got direct signature having no charge. Indirect and Direct are $4.50 while Adult is $5.50. And there are 3 option not 2.

* Indirect Signature Required: FedEx obtains a signature from someone at the delivery address; from a neighbor, building manager or someone at a neighboring address; or the recipient can also leave a FedEx Door Tag authorizing release of the package without anyone present.
* Direct Signature Required: FedEx obtains a signature from someone at the delivery address. If no one is at the address, we reattempt delivery.
* Adult Signature Required: FedEx obtains a signature from someone at least 21 years old (and possessing the required government-issued photo ID) at the delivery address. If no eligible is at the address, we reattempt delivery.

Indirect is the easiest way to satisfy the seller protection requirement while making it easiest for the buyer (a neighbor can sign for it or after first attempt the signed door tag will work). More restrictive signature required options (Direct and adult) may result in redelivery attempts (and you only get 3 total attempts)
Message 7 of 11
latest reply

OK,  if I pay for insurance the direct signature is free but if I select the adult signature with insurance there is still a fee.

There are only these options for me. No signature, direct signature or adult signature.

I went ahead and picked the direct signature option.

Message 8 of 11
latest reply

@custom-blinds wrote:

I went ahead and picked the direct signature option.

Again, was that in the listing, or did the buyer agree to it?

I recently had an item sent to me that way and since I wasn't available to sign (two attempts) and they wouldn't accept my signatuire on a note, or on their notice tag, the item was returned to the sender.

Message 9 of 11
latest reply

A seller who wants to do more than required in an effort to help make a

buyers purchase decision a happy

one. 

Potential outcome : repeat business, & referrals

Message 10 of 11
latest reply

Ah. Declared value.

The Direct Signature Required FedEx Delivery Signature Option will automatically be applied to packages shipped to or within the U.S. and to Canada that have a declared value equal to or greater than $500. Direct Signature required fees will not apply for those packages.

If it was an item with a declared over $500 you had no choice and direct sig was the right choice.

(if the declared amount had been revealed initially all that speculation wouldn't have been needed scream)

Message 11 of 11
latest reply