cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FedEx Delivery Exception (required by Ebay?)

Is ebay imposing "delivery exceptions" now as a standard?

I ordered an item which was supposed to be delivered yesterday, but the FedEx tracking stated that "signature" was required. I tried to have it held at a location using the manage delivery function, but the system did not allow me after multiple attempts. Incidentally, I had another package arriving yesterday that I ordered outside of ebay and I was able to have it placed on hold.

So I called Fedex, and to my surprise, she told me that the shipper had put restrictions on the delivery so that only I can sign for it. It cannot be rerouted or even held at one of their pick up centers! The agent on the phone then advised me to have the seller attempt and remove this restriction or "delivery exception." In the mean time, this agent advised me to put a "vacation hold" on all shipments. That way, there won't be multiple attempts that would be counted against me, and the package would be marked for return.

I messaged the seller on ebay and she denied putting those restrictions. She states that she shipped it using ebay and there was only one option for shipping out. Further, she states that she had called FedEx this morning and they told her that she is not allowed to modify the terms of the shipment because of eBay.

I work in healthcare and I am on call at my work place this whole week, so no one is at home. Either I take time off work and drive 35 miles to the nearest FedEx pick up point, or wait til my vacation hold expires and hope that the rest of my packages are delivered when I'm at home.

The difficult thing with FedEx is that they don't give you a window time for delivery (unlike USPS or UPS). The FedEx tracking doesn't work.

Worse, it seems every FedEx driver doesn't know what a Ring camera is. I have one, and instead of ringing the doorbell, they knock lightly and scuttle away and wait inside their van.

Anyone know how to resolve this or to whom I can write or call to complain? (I requested a callback from Ebay last night and all the agent told me was that I should just file a claim, once the shipment is returned to the seller!)

Message 1 of 7
latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

what was the price of this item??

Message 2 of 7
latest reply

Transaction total was $540.

The seller told me that the minimum for adding signature was $750. She states that she was unable to untick the box that says signature required.

When I spoke with the ebay agent last night, she did make a comment that my transaction was not large enough to require that "delivery exception."

Is this a system glitch? with Ebay or with FedEx???

Message 3 of 7
latest reply

Further, she states that she had called FedEx this morning and they told her that she is not allowed to modify the terms of the shipment because of eBay.

That is true because eBay is the account holder and the shipper of record, so FedEx will only deal with eBay, not the individual sellers.

What's funny is all the stories about FedEx drivers signing for packages and dumping them wherever, due to COVID-19.

You should be able to reschedule it for delivery on a day you'll be home next week?

So there's currently a "vacation hold" on that package, and it will expire this Saturday. So I'm hoping this all gets resolved by next week.Incidentally, I am off work first half of next week.

Do you guys know if there is anything else I need to do for a "vacation hold"? (Do I just let it expire, or do I have to call FedEx? I get different answers from different agents.)

It is troubling to me that ebay will just put these restrictions at will with no warning. It will make purchasing through ebay much harder because it will be unpredictable.

Message 5 of 7
latest reply

This is confusing. Call fedex again. Get a supervisor. Say you are getting conflicting answers. Ask what can you do to have it delivered so you can sign for it? You dont want it to go back. Extend it few days. Redelivery on Monday or Tuesday.

What we say here may not be correct for your situation. FedEx has the package. They need to tell you what to do. Hope it works out

Message 6 of 7
latest reply

I went to pick up my other FedEx package late yesterday at the (far away) pick up point. This was the package I was able to re-route prior to placing a vacation hold. The lady at the Walgreens pick up point for FedEx said many packages are being tagged as "signature" required because of theft.

This morning, another ebay order is coming in but this time through UPS. Mysteriously, I am unable to change the delivery date or modify it like I used to.

I am thinking this is all Ebay's policy.

Message 7 of 7
latest reply