cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ebay scamming for shipping cost to the buyer

Ebay is over charging buyers on shipping cost and here is the proof. Cost is around $8.15-8.75 around the same as i was suppose to pay for the label out of my own pocket. Anyway around that cost is the actual cost but ebay charges the buyer around $3-4 more and for what reason? They are making money off of a shipping label thats only easly generated with there system. They dont print it or use any ink so im. Lost as to why they are making profit from a something thats federal?Screenshot_20240117-144021.pngScreenshot_20240117-143850.png

Message 1 of 9
latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

And thats not a discount for shipping cost on any level either. And its ground advantage and 1 lb item that i calculated on usps site and $8.15 was the cost for the label.

Message 2 of 9
latest reply

Buyer is charged shipping per your listing settings.

What the buyer pays is passed on to you.

For what ever reasons those charges seem to be for 3 # GA   Retail, and commercial rates.

Message 3 of 9
latest reply

You can go to your seller settings and change the cost of shipping your buyer pays to the cost that you actually pay.

Message 4 of 9
latest reply

EBay charges based on the information that you enter when set up shipping.  Your listing showed the buyer $11.80 so they paid that and then you paid $8.75 for the label. The remaining $3.05 does not go to eBay, it goes to you, the seller.

I’m  not sure what happened in your situation but some sellers set up to charge their buyers the discounted rate and some charge their buyers the retail rate so that they can cover fvf on shipping and packaging costs.  That is up to each seller.  Before accusing someone of ‘scamming’ it is a good idea to do research first or at least ask the boardies here what might be happening.  

Message 5 of 9
latest reply

@cnofear81 wrote:

And thats not a discount for shipping cost on any level either. And its ground advantage and 1 lb item that i calculated on usps site and $8.15 was the cost for the label.

————

Regardless what the problem was, if you believe the buyer was overcharged, you’re the one who has that extra money and can refund.  

It may be as simple as one wrong dimension or weight entered incorrectly on the listing.
Message 6 of 9
latest reply

The most recent item that you sold for $125 was "sega cd game lot".  The shipping calculator in that listing is set up to charge buyers the retail postage cost for shipping a 3-pound package via Ground Advantage.

The buyer was charged $11.80, which is the appropriate retail price to ship 3 pounds to Zone 5 via Ground Advantage  

The eBay label price to ship 3 pounds to Zone 5 via GA is $8.75.  

The extra $3 that your buyer paid wasn't some scam by eBay; it was due to your listing being set up to charge the buyer the retail price.  Any overcharge goes into your pockets, not eBay's.

Message 7 of 9
latest reply

OK, let's break it down @cnofear81 . Item # 134855503867, correct?

The listing charged, as Jack mentioned, the calculated 3 pound rate for Ground Advantage service. Your setting is to charge the retail rate. To zone 5 that's $11.80

When you purchase the label you're charged the commercial rate. To zone 5 that's $8.75.

Buyer paid you $11.80 for shipping and eBay charged you 13.25% fees on that amount ($1.56) which leaves you with $10.24 for shipping. Your actual label cost was $8.75 so that leaves you with $1.49 "profit" which can use to pay for your shipping supplies. Or, since you also paid fees on sales tax which amounted to $1.31, you can consider the $1.49 "profit" you made on shipping a wash to covers the fee on sales tax.

The price quote from USPS of $8.15 is for a 1 pound package to zone 5. But you charged the buyer for a 3 pound package. How much did your package weigh?

As for the difference of retail vs commercial, I demonstrated above why it's in the seller's best interest to charge retail rates. If you prefer to pass on the commercial discount to buyers you can.

The setting to offer buyers discounted rates can be found on your shipping preferences page under the carrier specific discounts setting: https://www.ebay.com/ship/prf

When you offer buyers carrier specific discounts it will apply to all USPS services, not just Ground Adv.

Since eBay charges a fee on total cost buyer pays (item + ship + tax), by charging commercial rates you are losing money on every single package. If you want to make up for that you can add a handling fee or increase your item costs - or simply charge retail rates for a built in cushion instead of passing on the discounts.

GLORIOUS!

Confused about the switch to eBay discounted shipping? Read this discussion to make an informed decision about opt in / opt out.
Message 8 of 9
latest reply

@cnofear81 wrote:

Ebay is over charging buyers on shipping cost and here is the proof. Cost is around $8.15-8.75 around the same as i was suppose to pay for the label out of my own pocket. Anyway around that cost is the actual cost but ebay charges the buyer around $3-4 more and for what reason? They are making money off of a shipping label thats only easly generated with there system. They dont print it or use any ink so im. Lost as to why they are making profit from a something thats federal?

You are in total control of what your buyer gets charged for shipping....

You, not ebay, not USPS, not FedX, not UPS...not the man in the moon....you

Message 9 of 9
latest reply