cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ESUS tracking/eBay Delivery Services

Today I shipped a 2 ounce 7x5x1 Metallic Bubble Envelope using Ebay Standard Envelope. I had sold 3 Pennies to the same Buyer. When I setup the Auctions I had the choice of using USPS First Class Mail Large Envelope for $1.63 which is what the Buyer paid. On the Shipping Label Page that choice was not available & Ground Advantage was my next lowest choice that I knew of until I talked to a CSR that explained I could use Ebay Standard Envelope. After shipping the the coins I refunded the cost difference to the Buyer because it was the proper thing to do. After doing this I read old forum threads that stated that ESUS tracking is not reliable. 

Has it been improved to be reliable or should I just stay with Ground Advatage?

Message 1 of 28
latest reply
27 REPLIES 27

If tracking is important, then stay with Ground Advantage.

I don't know what a "Metallic Bubble Envelope" might be, but that does not sound like a machinable first class letter.

The nature of ESUS tracking is that it can only be scanned by the major high speed sorting hubs, and can not be scanned by the local post office. That means there will be no acceptance scan or delivery scan.

Shipping - USPS high speed sortingShipping - USPS high speed sorting

If the letter is non-machinable, then it will not enter the high speed equipment at all, and will never be scanned.  (See the corners, belts, and spindles, above, that make up the sorting equipment.)  It would travel like a letter with a postage stamp that would likely require extra postage as non-machinable.

Sellers whose post offices feed directly into a major sorting center probably have the most positive interaction with ESUS letters, as they are likely to get a hub scan right away. That would then qualify their letters for the ESUS insurance if lost along the way.

On the receiver end, the final "delivery" notification is estimated by the last hub. It could be hours or days off, so a buyer should be advised to wait at least 3 days beyond the "delivered" estimate for actual  delivery. If late by more than a week, then the buyer could open a claim with the seller. The seller could then open an ESUS claim, as long as there is at least one scan somewhere en route.

ShipScript has been an eBay Community volunteer since 2003, specializing in HTML, CSS, Scripts, Photos, Active Content, Technical Solutions, and online Seller Tools.
Message 2 of 28
latest reply

Bubble mailers are not eligible for ESUS.  Eventually you, or the buyer, will be charged the GA price.  

Message 3 of 28
latest reply

You can't ship bubble mailers Esus, they are non-machinable. 

If you want to ship 3 pennies Esus then use a cut up card binder page with one penny in each page and use a plain white envelope. 

ESUS tracking is imperfect but that isn't actually a huge issue, you have to learn how to pack things to get through the machinable system. 

I have a youtube video about how to ship cards standard envelope, coins are pretty much going to work the same way, a search should find the video easily. 

Message 4 of 28
latest reply

I have 3 Hubs that my shipments go to so I am probably okay for that. The rest of your accurate information sounds like the idea was not well thought out by ebay. I will watch the tracking & hope it will work out. Thanks for your help.

Message 5 of 28
latest reply

The number is an Intelligent Mail Barcode. It was never intended to be used for tracking merchandise.

Message 7 of 28
latest reply

@ourancestorsattic wrote:

Metallic Bubble Mailer. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07MYMY73N/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&th=1

@ourancestorsattic 

Thanks for the info. I see that it's just a shiny bubble envelope, and is non-machinable.

Here is how I tape clear coin holders to file folder material in a plain letter envelope. This illustrates the flexibility needed to avoid "non-machinable".

Shipping - eBay standard envelopeShipping - eBay standard envelope

By cutting the soft card stock to the full size of the envelope, the coin bumps are smoothed out and the leading edge feeds cleanly into the sorting equipment.  With the latest USPS sorting equipment (see earlier photo), the required curl can actually be more like a coffee can or gallon paint can, rather than a coffee cup.

There are some 6x8 cardboard envelopes that are almost flexible enough, but the failure rate is too high for some hubs. The folded overlaps around the edges build up too much material and it becomes too stiff when loaded.

ShipScript has been an eBay Community volunteer since 2003, specializing in HTML, CSS, Scripts, Photos, Active Content, Technical Solutions, and online Seller Tools.
Message 8 of 28
latest reply

I need an explanation about the tracking information.  Ebay is showing delivery on Feb 12 - Fri Feb 16 but this site is showing: Estimated date of arrival at the post office 17 Feb 2024 - 19 Feb 2024, 9 - 11 days remaining.  

https://parcelsapp.com/en/tracking/ESUS184759100

I have removed this shipping option from my coin listings until I see what happens with this shipment.

Message 9 of 28
latest reply

@ourancestorsattic 

As you can see from tracking, there is no scan yet. If you dropped it in the mail yesterday, and if your local mail goes straight to a high speed sorting hub in Illinois, it should get a scan by at least tomorrow. If it doesn't, it may be on the way back to you for non-machinable postage or may have been kicked into manual handling or package handling.

The bubble mailer is not likely to see any tracking and will probably arrive at its Georgia destination without tracking, so the tracking will likely sit at "label created" for the duration.

Since travel time is just an estimate, the tracking sites are showing their best guesses based on other similar items that use the same shipping method. eBay estimates are based on a very large number of items on their site, and are probably better estimates than the 51 items referenced on the tracking site.

Message 10 of 28
latest reply

I do the same with baseball cards but I cut the cardboard a little bit smaller on the ends so the machines can grab only the envelopes for more flexibility.

Message 11 of 28
latest reply

@ourancestorsattic 

The problem you are experiencing may result from your use of the "metallic bubble mailer" instead of a #6 or #10 envelope, which is the method used by most eBay sellers who ship using the eBay Standard Envelope (ESE).

Your bubble mailer may have been kicked out of the system for being "nonmachinable," and may be on its way back to you (with postage due) -- or, even worse, continuing on its way to the buyer, also with postage due:  bubble mailers are not intended to be used for the ESE.

The lack of an initial USPS "Accepted" scan suggests that you did not mail your package in the "Metered Mail" slot in your post office lobby.  That initial "Accepted" scan is received when an ESE initially arrives at the USPS Distribution Center (and NOT your local post office), which is usually located in another city, and often in another county.  Normally, the "Accepted" scan is posted a day or so after being dropped in the "Metered Mail" slot, although that "Accepted" scan may be delayed if the ESE is mailed on a Friday, or before a three-day USPS holiday weekend.

And the initial "Accepted" scan is critical for any insurance claims which may be made through eBay (not USPS), for lost packages:  the lack of ANY scans will result in NO insurance payouts, since there is no proof that anything was ever mailed.

And there is NO guarantee that an ESE will receive that initial "Accepted" scan if the ESE is just handed over to a USPS counter employee or USPS delivery driver, or if dropped off at your home mailbox or a USPS "blue box."  Those methods result in "mixed mail," which causes additional delays at the USPS Distribution Centers, and the "Accepted" scan may be missed entirely.

I agree totally -- the inauguration of the ESE on eBay was done very poorly, with too much critical information either not communicated adequately, or not understood by eBay.  And, obviously, there are many local post offices, scattered around the country, which are not handling the ESE as it should be administered -- simply put, as "business metered mail," rather than as "personal" metered mail.

We are several years now into the ESE program, and the jury is still out for far too many eBay sellers who are still having mailing and delivery problems.  On the other hand, the data suggests that the vast majority of eBay sellers who use the ESE are satisfied with the process, and are using it successfully for their mailings.  

Furthermore, the evidence suggests that the buyers who have been receiving their items through the ESE system have also been satisfied -- mine are, anyway, and I've been using the ESE for the last couple years, with no returns, no mailing issues, and no delivery problems.

If eBay sellers follow the ESE rules to a "T" -- and that includes the suggestions provided by other successful sellers who regularly use the ESE without any problems -- the ESE can be a very useful and money-saving delivery method for the low-value, limited number of items for which it is intended.

But "work arounds" are probably not going to cut it -- so I would avoid using "metallic bubble mailers," and just use a #6 or #10 envelope.

Good luck.

Message 12 of 28
latest reply

I talked to ebay customer service about t he tracking information not updating. They told me to wait up to 48 hours &  it will update. The Agent said he could see exactly where the shipment is at so I said I should be able to see it what he is seeing & that ebay needs to fix what I consider to be a problem so Sellers can see all the tracking information. Of course I doubt that will ever happen. 

https://parcelsapp.com/en/tracking/ESUS184759100

Message 13 of 28
latest reply

I gave up on seeing normal tracking information. The shipment is lost somewhere in the system & I have refunded the Buyer's full payment. I will never use this form of shipping until ebay fixes the problems they have caused which if it ever happens will take years to do. I Am So Disgusted!!!!

Message 14 of 28
latest reply

Did you file a claim on the insurance that's included with the service?

Message 15 of 28
latest reply