cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Driver released?

First time I've seen "package was driver released".  Anyone know what this means?  UPS shipment.  Still not marked as delivered.  

Message 1 of 16
latest reply
15 REPLIES 15

Driver released?

Not sure but it sounds like the driver released the package to SOMEONE,,,,,

If you're the seller please don't  ask the buyer if they received the package. Don't poke a bear. Let sleeping dogs lie.

If the buyer doesn't  get it they'll contact you. If they did get it and you're asking then they know you don't  know which puts a bee in their bonnet they can get a free item.

Message 2 of 16
latest reply

Driver released?

It generally means the driver left the package at the residence without obtaining a signature.

Message 3 of 16
latest reply

Driver released?

Hmmm, I just two of these also. First time I've ever encountered this off UPS. However, rather than 100% worry about buyer honesty (I think my two deliveries are OK) you can go directly to the UPS site with your tracking numbers and get their print out. Basically the print out will say 'Package delivered to residence' citing where at residence and time of delivery. But don't waste time waiting to do this as UPS claims this info has a time limit staying up on their site.

Message 4 of 16
latest reply

Driver released?

You were right.  Per UPS tracking, package was delivered to front porch....  but what now?  Does ebay not recognize these?  Going to print it out for my records just in case but did your 2 ever update in ebay?

Message 5 of 16
latest reply

Driver released?

I just had a package delivered and signed for yesterday but on ebays end it says.......signature obtained. UPS website shows both delivered and signed for but it wont update on ebays end and I have never seen this before. Also for who ever is reading this. If you use UPS and you want signature confirmation you have to chose Adult Signature Required for them to actually get the signature. If you pay for just signature the driver has the option to scan it......ID Verified or in this case......driver released. This was a deal that was struck with the UPS drivers union. Its absolute **bleep** that you have to pay extra to get them to get the signature. I am really curious about the tracking snafu though. 

Message 6 of 16
latest reply

Driver released?

Something must have changed with UPS's system because currently 6 out of 7 of my latest UPS packages that were delivered had a final scan that showed "PACKAGE WAS DRIVER RELEASED"  and only one showed up with the traditional "Delivered" scan.  Since they both mean the same thing ebay needs to modify their system so that UPS packages showing "Driver Released" count as being delivered. If not, all of a sudden I can imagine a lot of people are going to get falsely dinged for "Tracking indicates late delivery" on the late shipment report.

Message 7 of 16
latest reply

Driver released?

@analog215 wrote:

I just had a package delivered and signed for yesterday but on ebays end it says.......signature obtained. UPS website shows both delivered and signed for but it wont update on ebays end and I have never seen this before. Also for who ever is reading this. If you use UPS and you want signature confirmation you have to chose Adult Signature Required for them to actually get the signature. If you pay for just signature the driver has the option to scan it......ID Verified or in this case......driver released. This was a deal that was struck with the UPS drivers union. Its absolute **bleep** that you have to pay extra to get them to get the signature. I am really curious about the tracking snafu though. 

Even with adult signature, doesn't mean you're going to get it.

A few weeks ago, my granddaughter was to receive a laptop, which I was supposed to sign for.

He drops it by my door and by the time I got out there, he was almost back to his truck and he ask my last name, told him and he got in his truck and left.

Have a great day.
Message 8 of 16
latest reply

Driver released?

Yup, since my first package that showed it, every single one of my UPS packages are now in this limbo state.  I messaged one of ebay's social media accounts and they said let them know if it still doesn't show "delivered" after 48 hours.  I'm guessing they are going to be getting a lot of messages about this.  Hop on board guys!  Let's have them fix this before we all get dinged.

Message 9 of 16
latest reply

Driver released?

No, the ebay tracker is still in limbo on my two sales as of now. I'm going to call ebay CS Monday and ask what's going on with their software and what can be done to change to delivery accomplished. Can't help but wonder if is this a new angle by both ebay and a carrier to put the onus of discovery on the seller should a buyer file a claim of 'item not received'.

I dunno what to do about this new twist 'driver decision' with no closure on ebay's tracking once delivered unless I revert to exclusively relying on USPS or FedEx for shipping or have Signature Requirement on every UPS sale. I did do this 1 time on a $20 item sent USPS where Google Earth determined location to be unsafe for package delivery. That buyer got mad, refused signature, cancelled order, demanded refund and had the local USPO sit on return until past the 30-day limit for an ebay final value fee refund I would've gotten on item cancellation.    

Past experience: if I tack Signature Required to anything I have to deal with buyers who are never home, too busy to sign off pre-delivery so onus won't be on me if package suddenly walks off after delivery. If a buyer is not home for signature required UPS will eventually return the package to me and that has happened where I've had to work, influence a buyer where to send something 2nd time so they can actually get it. Many have opted using Mail Boxes or a designated package receiver as destination while others get frustrated re trust issues and say so in my ebay feedback section. The drawback to using a mail receiver is the nominal fee the buyer will be charged using their service. Gosh, what a PIA selling online has become!

Message 10 of 16
latest reply

Driver released?

Used ebay chat yesterday re 2 recent delivered sales via UPS driver released. Here's part of my/their chat exchange:

Ebay: The main factor as to why the tracking is not yet updated on eBay is because of the delay in the data transmission from the carrier's side to eBay. However, we will still based the tracking update on the carrier's website. It means that it won't affect you negatively if it's not yet updated on our side.

Me: I went to UPS site and tracked both items

Me: OK. I worry buyer might believe they didn't receive item when actually they did

Ebay: I get your point on that. No worries since we will protect you in this case. Both tracking shows delivered on the carrier's website and that's what we will focus on.

I have endured buyer 'Item not Rec'd' & 'I don't recognize transaction' fake outs when they use a cc. That time was USPS Signature Required on a $200 sale. Buyer tried to initiate chargeback using both those avenues to no avail though my sale receipt was in escrow for a month on 1st attempted steal while storm cloud of chargeback from own banked receipt (finally) lingered on the 2nd attempt. Ebay Seller Protection did protect me first time though I really had to read thru a lot of online rules rhetoric where ebay suggested I was at fault and should refund buyer no matter what. Rather than abide by ebay rules re can't file many claims on same item this buyer was savvy enough to unregister himself from ebay after 1st strike failure and initiate another attempted chargeback thru his cc provider as a victim. This time even the cc's investigatory work backed up my dispute though I did worry buyer would send me a fake return during that process then claim seller treachery....fortunately, that did not happen.

Summation: re UPS Driver Released we're protected even though ebay's delivery status seller page suggests otherwise

Message 11 of 16
latest reply

Driver released?

I spoke with a UPS rep that told me because of a union deal that with signature confirmation they can scan it......id verified or whatever they want but with adult signature they are required to get it. Will that happen 100 percent of the time....no but you can absolutely get that driver wrote up if they dont get it. That situation with your granddaughters laptop........I would put money on the tracking showing that you signed for it. Thats why he asked for your last name. Im betting the tracking shows your first initial and last name. The drivers will do whatever to cut corners. As long as the tracking shows someone signed for it.......thats all I care about. 

Message 12 of 16
latest reply

Driver released?

I spoke to ebay about it as well. the main issue about this to me is not customers opening false cases because on UPS as we all know it says "delivered" and thats what ebay will go by but the issue to me is new sellers such as myself. I sell 20k a month and now i have to contact ebay every 2-3 days with order numbers of items delivered so i can get funds released. 

Until the fix the issue none of my funds get released on there own (because the ebay system doesnt show items  as delivered) just driver released. So i contact them often with order numbers in hand and i have them manually release funds. 

this is a hassle but what can I do?!?

Message 13 of 16
latest reply

Driver released?

Wow, your situation  re this new delivery delivered twist is dire compared to me. My ebay update is they did finally mark all my driver delivered sales as delivered; however, it took ebay 6 days to update. Am hoping this issue has gotten rectified by ebay software but don't know.  

Message 14 of 16
latest reply

Driver released?

Hey @tthodgepodge. Devon from eBay just posted this info on another thread - delivery status should be fixed on orders going forward (meaning any orders impacted while this error was occurring will stay the way they are).

The Shipping Team reached out and wanted to share the following with you:

"Thank you for the report. The shipping team has resolved a delivery status mapping issue for this use case. Going forward, eBay status will reflect as ‘Delivered’ instead of ‘Package Was Driver Released’ "

Message 15 of 16
latest reply