cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does seller refund shipping cost when item is damaged?

My customer is threatening opening a case against me because I did not refund original shipping cost on her item that was broken by the USPS.

I packaged it well, but the USPS did not care for the package and marked it as visible damage upon arrival. 

Customer is demanding for FULL refund, including the shipping, while I just refunded the item amount. 

What would you do? or what should I do? 

Message 1 of 6
latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

You have to give the buyer a full refund.  You are responsible for getting the item into her hands in the same condition as described in the listing. If she files a claim for item "Not as described" then eBay's buyer protection policy (which they call the Money Back Guarantee) will force you to do so.  Giving a full refund is the only way to get a credit for the final value fee.

Here are the terms of the money back guarantee:

https://www.ebay.com/help/policies/ebay-money-back-guarantee-policy/ebay-money-back-guarantee-policy...

Message 2 of 6
latest reply

@northernnode wrote:

What would you do? or what should I do? 

In case you are wanting a second opinion, the guidance above from nobody*s_perfect is correct.

Message 3 of 6
latest reply

Agree with the above response. 

But, if you mailed it Priority Mail, you should be able to collect the insurance from the USPS. First class mail does not have insurance.

Message 4 of 6
latest reply

@northernnode wrote:

Customer is demanding for FULL refund, including the shipping, while I just refunded the item amount. 

If the item was damaged during shipping, the buyer gets a full refund, including shipping, if they paid it.

Have a great day.
Message 5 of 6
latest reply

Yes, you are required to give the buyer a full refund of everything they paid and pay for the return shipping if you want the item back.

"It is an intelligent man that is aware of his own ignorance."
Message 6 of 6
latest reply