cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does USPS perform random audits on packages?

Mainly to ensure the proper shipping method is used? Such as mailing perfume first class, or shipping non media items through media mail? IF they do, how do they repackage the box? Use the same one, or a new one? Is there any indication placed on the box that a random audit was performed like they do on your luggage at the airport?

Has a seller ever been contacted that the package the buyer received appears to have been tampered with or opened and retaped shut, and then find out later the package was reviewed by the PO to ensure proper shipping methods were purchased and deployed?

Are Ebay sellers expected to compensate the buyer for their perception they have received an item that's been tampered with after I ship and before they receive if the tampering occurred while package is in shipper's possession?

Message 1 of 20
latest reply
19 REPLIES 19

USPS employees are allowed to open any Media Mail package at any time if they suspect that it contains an item that is not eligible for shipping via Media Mail.  An opened package that is found to be not eligible will be delivered with Postage Due.  An opened package that IS eligible after all will get a special stamp that shows that it has been inspected, primarily so that other USPS employees will know not to bother with it.

Message 2 of 20
latest reply

So the random audit only applies to media mailings?
Message 3 of 20
latest reply

I have not dealt with media mailings and in all my years of buying and selling on ebay have never experienced a package that was audited by the USPS. Maybe it does not happen or maybe it's coincidence I have not been involved one way or another.

energy flows where attention goes

Message 4 of 20
latest reply

@flyinhawaiiangirl

I was reading a post yesterday where a buyer got a package with postage due, $40 some dollars because the seller sent it media mail and the post Office opened it.

I think with all the media mail fraud, they'll start to check more packages.

Have a great day
Message 5 of 20
latest reply

Unless something has changed, the only mail that is not sealed from inspection is Media Mail. For all other mail classes you have to have a warrant to open and inspect it.

Our old Postmaster would open each and every MM package that comes in to our Post Office. He started doing that when he caught a guy trying to ship two 40 pound boxes of car parts MM. (Hint to MM abusers - books don't clank)  The package is opened, inspected, resealed and stamped as opened for inspection.  I don't know if the current PM does this or not.

The easier you are to offend the easier you are to control.

We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did. - Thomas Sowell
Message 6 of 20
latest reply

Retail and Commercial Express Mail, Priority Mail, First Class Mail (letters/flats), and First Class Package - retail are sealed against inspection.

Media Mail, Library Mail, Parcel Select (retail and commercial), and First Class package - commercial are subject to inspection.

Most outbound international mail is protected against inspection (but not all - non-document GXG, and all PMI are examples)

With limited exceptions, all inbound international mail is subject to inspection by U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) and [redacted].

Any mail may be opened under "exigent circumstances" (ticking, leaking, bomb-sniffing dog sniffed, etc) or with a warrant.

No idea if they audit anything other than MM. (reasons for inspecting specific non-MM would likely be for public safety reasons not looking for postage cheaters)

Never had anything audited coming or going myself.
Message 7 of 20
latest reply

Wouldn't USPS possibly posess equipment to X Ray the contents of  packages ?

Message 8 of 20
latest reply

I asked about the x-ray once, was mailing film. They said they didnt do that.

Message 9 of 20
latest reply

As ds mentioned, film is a problem, and Also, x-ray equip isn't cheap, there are safety issues with especuially long term exposure even to low level radiation, x-rays wouldn't be much good at distinguishing a clock radio from a bomb, and even less use in making fine determinations about media mail contents (would be able to spot an anvil in a MM pkg though).
Message 10 of 20
latest reply

Yes they audit. 

It isn't just packages. I have been audited twice so far this year and sometimes they audit the whole zipcode, sometimes just a route.

The auditor does not work in our office she travels all over. Mail is counted, items looked for are missused bulk permits, letters with used or insufficient postage. They check on the DPS system How many mistakes the machines made. They check raw mail for items that could have been run in the DPS. They check the postage and weigh all packages. And yes they will open MM and check under the paper on wrapped packages.  

We are not informed of an audit and the Postmaster gets very little advance notice. Thankfully when audits happen she moves fast and efficiently and doesn't hold up the days mail for very long. 

Message 11 of 20
latest reply

Depends on the post office if they inspect media mail or not . A bigger busier one might just spot check a package here or there. But if it goes thru a smaller less busier place they can check more often. Like the post office i use is so slow they check every single media mail packages being shipped out and any media mail that comes in that doesn't have the inspection stamped on it.  Besides just stamping the outside of the box saying it was open for inspection they put a letter inside  that explains it in more detail to the receiver of the package.

Just a little post office but it is amazing how many they have caught trying  to cheat the system. 

Message 12 of 20
latest reply

Smaller POs not only have more time to check up on MM packages, they also have more motivation:  staffing levels and even branch closure decisions are based in part on dollar volume of transactions. 

Message 13 of 20
latest reply

Just recently had an audit on an item Amazon said was media.  Cost me 2.66 to ship it media and first class would have been 2.66 as well.  I didnt even notice it when I shipped it.  Package came back and said in bold letters this isnt media mail.  No postage due because 1st class was the same price.  Ironically, Amazon still insists the item is media.

Wherever you go, there you are. Please remember, when you are asked if you are a god, you say yes.
Message 14 of 20
latest reply

when i worked at the PO .. I had an oversized Media Mail package for my route... braced myself to load it into my vehicle as it should have been fairly heavy ... ended up being very light ... filled with stuffed animals ... my customer was not happy with her postage due notice ....

also caught several packages with wrapped priority boxes ...

Barb
i don't suffer from insanity ~~ i enjoy it ...
Message 15 of 20
latest reply