cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Difficulty Shipping to Brazil

I recently shipped two items to two separate buyers from Canada to Brazil.  Both were sent back by the customs agency there.  This results in unhappy buyers.  I am considering not shipping there anymore.

Message 1 of 7
latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

I thought about this.

I actually have had sales to Brazil without a problem yet.

There is probably a language problem in the customs agency there.

And here's where my thought came in. I notice what you sell....model airplanes.

And I notice in a translation or just misunderstanding what might be going on through customs.

I have traveled to Brazil and it's not always a pleasant experience for me.

Drones which can resemble model airplanes or ever maybe thinking there are cameras on them.

Sounds strange I know...have to understand how big Brazil is and everyone there may never have seen a drone or a model airplane or even understand English and such. Just a thought but have to give it a thought.

Message 2 of 7
latest reply

I looked at the Canada Post site about Brazil restrictions and one of the restrictions is on used consumer goods. That may have been the problem. It could also be because of the following statement I found on the Canada Post website. Either way, If I were you, I probably wouldn't ship there.

"Brazil Customs requires that any incoming parcels be clearly marked with the recipients name, address and tax ID number. For individuals, the tax ID number is a CPF (Cadastro de Pessoas Físicas) and for businesses it’s the CNPJ (Cadastro Nacional da Pessoa Jurídica)."

https://www.canadapost-postescanada.ca/cpc/en/support/personal/international-destination-details.pag...

Message 3 of 7
latest reply

We actually stopped shipping there we literally had 4 different packages in the same week have different issues and either returned, damaged, or held at customs and never heard from again.  Which was unfortunate prior to that hadn't had issue but wasn't worth the risk on losing more items.

Message 4 of 7
latest reply

Mostly the problem is incomplete or incorrectly filled out the customs forms (other than the prohibited items). The customs forms must include the phone number, the correct HS code ( 8 digits), the buyer's tax ID (you have to ask the buyer to provide it to you) so they can be charged the taxes etc. Brazil law requires, that the shipping label SHOWS the amount of postage (stamps.com have this on their site: Packages shipped to Brazil will not have the postage value hidden, as the Brazilian customs officials require the postage amount paid to be clearly-marked on the shipping label.) You also need to affix the packing slip in a transparent sleeve. The description of the item (on the customs form) needs to be concrete not general (not Garment, but a Silk Blouse etc) I always translate the description into Portuguese, although English should be sufficient.

Message 5 of 7
latest reply

Brazil has lots of unusual, and worse, vaguely worded prohibitions (the "used consumer goods" prohibition being the most vague and open to interpretation.)

I'd only ship there using EIS (if EIS currently supports Brazil), where eBay fills out the customs forms and assumes the liability if there are customs issues. There are a few other countries that have similar bizarre and vague prohibitions to watch out for.

Message 6 of 7
latest reply

I mean, right now people are having difficulty shipping from California to New York. Join the club.

Message 7 of 7
latest reply