cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Claim filed with USPS- package automatically insured up to $100.00

I shipped a packaged box to california using USPS ground advantage on 4/1/2024

The box arrived 4/10/2024 damaged, but yet the USPS never stated that it was damaged, nor did anyone from USPS state damage as it went through the system.  I went to USPS today to find out.  I was told if the box had holes in it they would have stated damage.  Unbelievable.   I filed claimed as contents were broken and other pieces were damaged cracks, due to box being damaged.  The box had FRAGILE labels on the tops and side.  I received letter from USPS they won't issue a refund due to I must have the box, contents, and packaging material.  Due to the documentation provided by the buyer, I choose not to have them return it.  1. You can clearly see damage, 2. why pay for return shipping.

I received documentation from the Buyer which I used to process the claim.  USPS is stating that I should have told the buyer to file a claim with USPS, USPS stated they don't write damage until there are visible holes in the box.  USPS stated the box could have been shipped pushed in on the side and pushed in on the top.   Unbelievable,  In the future I will not ship USPS any fragile items.  Even though there is "supposedly" insured up to $100.00 you will never see the refund.  I forgot this is the Government, not UPS or Fed Ex.   USPS damaged the product and the postman who delivered for what-ever reason should have recorded it as damaged.  The buyer should have refused the item, then could have emailed  advising me of this.  In the future, I will advise buyer, if the box is damaged do not open refuse, send me an email stating problem, and I will open a case for them.  Once the item is returned I will take pictures, file claim and have everything for the post office if I decide in the future  to use the USPS, which I doubt very much.

For All of you who use USPS seller beware,  if it is breakable use UPS or Fed Ex. as I know they will refund you with no problems as long as it is insured.  All items are insured up to $100.00.   I stopped using UPS as too many of my items were being damaged enroute.  So I started to us USPS.  this is the first damaged item and I am not going through hoops with the government.  Lesson Learned.

Message 1 of 6
latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

If it had gotten lost....then you might get $100. refunded.

USPS, FedEx and UPS.....will usually say it was not packed good enough...glass and fragile items do break.

Insurance works great for items missing.

Message 2 of 6
latest reply

Many sellers who experience damage in shipping have not properly packed their shipments.

Enough so USPS requires the packaging materials, and very often when they examine them, they refuse the claim.

UPS is only slightly less likely to refuse the claim due to improper packaging.

Sellers often inadequately pack because they are trying to avoid paying dimensional weight on their shipments, which could affect the ability to make a sale or their profit margin. As a result they lose their item to damage.

Once upon a time I shipped a lot of breakable items, even won the rare damage claim. I no longer offer breakables other than very small and easy to pack safely online.

Message 3 of 6
latest reply

Was it the candle holders? If you did not double-box them, they will deny the claim by default.

Message 4 of 6
latest reply

Unless it's lost USPS will almost universally deny a claim, UPS is hit and miss for damage claims, and FedEx will usually accept a claim if you completely fill out the form and provide evidence given to you by the customer(photos and statement describing damage).  In many cases for fragile items it's cheaper and faster to ship it FedEx anyway.

Message 5 of 6
latest reply

If you're having that many items get damaged during shipping, you need to look at how you are packaging the items.

Have a great day
Message 6 of 6
latest reply