cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Changing the delivery date after the sale

This is a slimy practice: A seller waits to the last day of the DELIVERY window to send an item and provide tracking. The expected delivery window is then extended, preventing the buyer from complaining about a late delivery.

When I select a seller, I often use delivery date as one of the selection criteria for an item. I have between know to pay a little more for a faster delivery date.

Who is being slimy (contractually fraudulent) here? Ebay or the seller?

Yes I have the original purchase emails that have the original delivery windows.

Message 1 of 15
latest reply
14 REPLIES 14

I have "been known" not "between know".....

Message 2 of 15
latest reply

The only date that matters is the original estimated delivery date when you purchased and paid for the item.  After that date you can file a dispute.

When a listing is still active the date changes depending on the day you look at it, but if you view the original lising from your Purchase history it will show the original date that applies to you.

Message 3 of 15
latest reply

@bridog2010The Delivery date also includes the handling time specified by the seller. You can open a case for Item Not Received if you do not receive it by the Delivery date shown on your order. Sellers have to ship within the handling time they specified or they get dinged by ebay. We have shipped thousands of orders, and the delivery date is not something a seller can delay once the item is paid for. I had a buyer who was angry because his order arrived 3 days earlier than he was expecting.

Message 4 of 15
latest reply

I've never noticed if that date is fluid.    The measurement for filing INR is when it's supposed to be delivered,   Not when it's supposed to be shipped..

Not received,   is not received.    If you have an item that was purchased on the 1st,    and is supposed to be delivered by the 10th,    and the seller waits to ship till the 9th,     The buyer can file INR on the 11th

Even if the tracking shows enroute,    IMO the buyer can still file. 

Message 5 of 15
latest reply

There is a lot of incorrect info there. Two photos below to help you understand the slimy nature of this behavior:

1) The original order with a delivery window that ends on the 27th.
2) An email received on the 27th "updating" the delivery window to the 31st and providing tracking that was generated on the 27th.

Since the delivery date never expired without a delivery, I could not dispute the failure to delivery by the agreed upon date.

1) Order placed on the 17th

2) the update.....

Message 6 of 15
latest reply

Uhhhhh - I'd redact a lot of that if I were you.

Also, what was the seller's handling time?  If they gave themselves 4 days, say, the update would make sense.

“The most common way people give up their power is by thinking they don’t have any.”
— Alice Walker

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 7 of 15
latest reply

If having the item promptly is very important for you, and you are willing to pay more for shipping, why not buy from a local store. Sometimes even with expedited shipping, the transit time is the same as regular shipping, besides most shipping companies have dropped their guarantee delivery windows.

Message 8 of 15
latest reply

eBay provides you with an estimated delivery date at the time of purchase based on how long it usually takes something a seller ships to be received by a buyer. Unfortunately, sellers can’t adjust the date eBay shows you, but it is an estimate only, not a guarantee, which is subject to change based on transit delays and/or unforeseen circumstances.

Even if a seller adjusts their handling time from, say, 1-Day to 5-Day, eBay will still show the buyer a date based on the shipping history of the seller at the time of purchase. For example: if I ship something on a July holiday weekend, my shipments from June provide a horrible forecast for when my July packages will be received, but that’s still what eBay will use as an estimate to display to my buyers.

Once an item actually ships, eBay adjusts the estimated delivery date again, based on current (and more realistic) conditions. 

This entire issue has been an ongoing source of frustration for many years on eBay, for both buyers and sellers alike.

Message 9 of 15
latest reply

Once an item actually ships, eBay adjusts the estimated delivery date again, based on current (and more realistic) conditions. 

But it is my understanding that the buyer can still file a claim after the original estimated delivery date.  Is that not true?

Message 10 of 15
latest reply

no thats not true, Until the ESTIMATED date passes they can not file. 

No matter how many updates... The final updated "estimate" must pass before filing.

And if they file all the seller has to do is supply a tracking number showing movement of the package.

The date is an "estimate" not a guarantee. 

klhmdg  •  Volunteer Community Mentor
Message 11 of 15
latest reply

@pjcdn2005 wrote:

But it is my understanding that the buyer can still file a claim after the original estimated delivery date.  Is that not true?

Yes, sorry, I should've clarified that part. That's absolutely true - the date for which an INR claim can be filed is based on the estimated delivery date shown to a buyer at the time an item is purchased

I can only assume that the adjusted date (shown to the buyer when the item actually ships) is provided by eBay as more of a 'convenience', as it can also be estimated to arrive earlier.

Message 12 of 15
latest reply

@klhmdg wrote:

no thats not true, Until the ESTIMATED date passes they can not file. 

No matter how many updates... The final updated "estimate" must pass before filing.

And if they file all the seller has to do is supply a tracking number showing movement of the package.

The date is an "estimate" not a guarantee. 

Maybe something has changed very recently, but it's been my overwhelmingly extensive INR experience that a buyer can file an INR 24 hours after the first estimated delivery date (shown at purchase). 

At one point last Christmas, I had over 50 INR's opened against me because eBay would not adjust this date - despite extending my handling time and shut-downs at my USPS sorting facility, eBay still consistently gave buyers an est. date that was no more than 5 days from their date of purchase. Incidentally, all of my shipments were shipped and scanned on time.

I was put "on notice" by eBay then, and again when I went through the same thing with INR's around Easter this year. I constantly have buyers opening INR's with messages that say: "Why does my delivery date keep changing?!".

If the timeframe to open an INR was based on the adjusted date, the buyers wouldn't have been able to even open the INR's in the first place.

Message 13 of 15
latest reply

I’m currently experiencing this exact issue except in my delivery date has also changed in purchase history too,the only evidence that I have that the original date was earlier is my order confirmation,sadly I cannot wait the extra time added and my experience of eBay’s support has been a let down so I hold no hope of getting any help with this,the only thing I can do is to buy the item elsewhere and take video footage of me refusing delivery and requesting the item be returned to sender to support another dang chargeback via my bank,I was only awaiting this last order before requesting a full account and data deletion due to being let down at every turn by eBay,so any advice is hugely appreciated as I’m getting very confusing signals,im reading posts stating that sellers cannot change estimated delivery date after purchase (although this is exactly what has happened to me) and other posts stating the opposite so I’m desperate for advice on what I can do (please note that I’m a severely disabled non weight bearing person who is completely housebound so I’m sadly limited with a lot of things,especially as I don’t have a printer or access to one).

thank you ever so kindly in advance and hope you have a great week.

Message 14 of 15
latest reply

Hi everyone,

Due to the age of this thread, it has been closed to further replies. Please feel free to start a new thread if you wish to continue to discuss this topic.

Thank you for understanding.

Message 15 of 15
latest reply