cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can the combined cost of items in an eBay standard envelope be more than $20?

I'm new to eBay and asked a Mentor @inceptions question Can the combined cost of items in an eBay standard... - The eBay Community that I later realized might be better posted here having to do with shipping sports cards using the eBay standard envelope (ESE). I recently had an order where the pre-coupon price was over $50, but the post coupon price was less than $50. I could not use the ESE. When I contacted eBay they said the total value of the items sent in an eBay standard envelope could not exceed $20. I thought no single card could be more than $20, but the total value could be $50. I read and re-read the eBay standard envelope Terms and Conditions | eBay.com with eBay helpdesk. They insist they are correct. Can anyone provide a definitive answer to these questions:

1. I understand no single card can be over $20, but can the TOTAL value of the items in an ESE be up to $50 or is the TOTAL value $20?
  2. If the TOTAL of an order with more than one item can be up to $50, is that the pre-coupon applied total or post-coupon applied total?
Message 1 of 6
latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

Re: Can the combined cost of items in an eBay standard envelope be more than $20?

The total is $20 and you are only covered up to that amount if you have a claim. Personally I don't like sending cards over $9.99 using this service. Sending cards valued up to $50 in a regular envelope sounds crazy to me and I don't think many buyers would appreciate it if you did.

Message 2 of 6
latest reply

Re: Can the combined cost of items in an eBay standard envelope be more than $20?

Thanks for the response. How do you interpret this text from the eBay terms of service eBay standard envelope Terms and Conditions | eBay.com?

• You’re protected under this Shipping Protection Plan (“SPP”) in amount not to exceed the lesser of (i) the total sale price (excluding taxes) of those products or items contained in any individual shipment or (ii) twenty dollars ($20.00 USD) or for multi-item shipments up to twenty dollars ($20.00 USD) per item and up to fifty dollars total ($50.00USD) per shipment.
Message 3 of 6
latest reply

@bigrockstore 

Getting back to you with confirmation from eBay...

inceptions_0-1696439079302.png

So as I suspected, it's $50 (pre-discount) for multiple cards in one envelope. Hope that helps!

Inceptions
Volunteer Community Mentor, buying and selling on eBay since 2004

Message 4 of 6
latest reply

So, normally an eBay standard envelope should be sent in a  "metered mail" slot and if there is one in your city...especially if you are looking for tracking to show up...tracking does not always show up.

And envelope has to be bendable and under 1 / 4 inch thickness...other wise, a mail sorting machine might damage it in the big cities or it might get sent back or come with postage due to the buyer.

Although the amount is small for value...one should not stuff a bunch of cards in such an envelope.

Message 5 of 6
latest reply

https://www.ebay.com/help/selling/shipping-items/setting-shipping-options/ebay-standard-envelope?id=...

Envelope requirements

To use the service, it's important to ensure your envelope meets the below criteria. If it doesn't, the shipment may be returned to you, or the buyer may receive the item with postage due.

• No smaller than 3.5” x 5”
  • No larger than 6.125” x 11.5”
  • Envelope thickness is uniform, less than 0.25” inches at all points, and not too rigid
  • Weighs up to 3 oz.
  • Envelope contains NO clasps/strings/buttons or similar closure devices
  • Envelope has recipient address parallel to the longest side
  • Envelope is NOT enclosed or made of any plastic material

You can also use the eBay standard envelope template - opens in new window or tab to ensure the envelope you're using to ship your items qualifies.

Inceptions
Volunteer Community Mentor, buying and selling on eBay since 2004

Message 6 of 6
latest reply