cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buying USPS insurance is pointless for eBay sellers.

It seems that USPS does not accept eBay managed payments as an online payment provider for purposes of providing proof of value in the case of a lost item claim.  That means that any claim for a lost item that was purchased on eBay will likely be denied.  Therefore purchasing USPS insurance when shipping items with USPS is completely pointless for items sold on eBay.

Message 1 of 26
latest reply
25 REPLIES 25

Sorry - I'm posting now under the account I sold under.  If you can help shed any further light on this I'd appreciate it!

Message 16 of 26
latest reply

@real_solid_gold wrote:

Thanks for the insight.  It seems doubtful to me that the denial is for some other obscure reason since both the initial denial letter as well as the denied appeal both clearly stated "insufficient evidence of value" despite my having included the managed payment transactions.

Sorry, but you misunderstood me. I didn't say anything about "some other obscure reason[s]". 

You said that you had provided screenshots of the order details page (among a lot of other stuff), and the order details page should have been sufficient to demonstrate the proof of value. If it wasn't accepted, then the most likely explanation (based on other seller's experiences with this issue) was that you tried to claim the wrong amount of insurance, so the amount  you claimed did not match exactly the amount that was shown on the order details page.

I see that you have sold quite a few items recently in the +/- $600 price range, so I can't offer any more specific advice than that.

If you have only appealed once, then you do still have a chance, because you can do a second (final) appeal. Please post a screenshot of the order details page (with the buyer's personal info blocked out) so that we can advise you if you have grounds for another appeal and how to word it. Also, tell us exactly how much you tried to claim for the insurance.

Message 17 of 26
latest reply

Aha...OK the item sold for 720 plus shipping so my cut after ebay took it's fees was $643.79.  I purchased (and filed a claim for) $600.  So I was claiming less than the amount I lost as a result of the lost package.

OK I acually don't mind posting my entire 8 page pdf that I uploaded to USPS for my claim but as you point out there is buyer info in there.  If you know a free program that can easily block out lines of text in pdf's documents for mac please let me know.

Appreciate the help!

Message 18 of 26
latest reply

Never mind that last question.  That is extremely lazy of me.  You've already offered a lot of good advise and I appreciate it.  If I can find a way to post more info I will.   At this point it seems unlikely to me that USPS would deny a claim because I insured and asked for LESS than the item was worth.  So if USPS does accept managed payments as proof of value the only thing I can guess I used the wrong ebay pages to provide proof of value.  Perhaps because I used "order detail" pages instead of "payment info" pages.  I just don't know since USPS's denial letter was so generic.

Message 19 of 26
latest reply

@real_solid_gold/ @longtimejewelryseller 

Do you have documentation or a receipt that shows that you purchased the additional insurance? Also, AFAIK, priority mail includes either $50 or $100 of insurance, so you should have been covered for either $650 or $700. Why didn't you claim that amount?

@greg_oryeand @monster-deals, (or anyone else) what documentation did you provide to USPS to support your "proof of value"? Which eBay page(s)?

Message 20 of 26
latest reply

@lacemaker3 wrote:

Which eBay page(s)?

Order details page screenshot

Message 21 of 26
latest reply

Well when I talked to the postal worker at the local hub that lost the package it seemed he was able to see based on the tracking number that it had insurance on it so I'm guessing that the claims people can verify that there is insurance on the packages.  But yes, the 3rd page of my pdf was an ebay page showing shipment details.  And the 4th page of my pdf was the actual shipping label I bought from eBay..the top side of which you cut out and put on the package and the bottom side had the details including how much I paid for the insurance and how much it was covered for.

The reason I only bought 600 of insurance and claimed 600 of insurance was to be safe.  I figured if purchased (and claimed) a little less insurance than the item actually sold for they couldn't dispute it.  We see how that went lol.  Anyway I wasn't sure about the extra 50 or 100 you are talking about so I tried to claim an amount that was safe and I could be sure about.

Message 22 of 26
latest reply

Thanks for clarifying that.  Yup that's exactly what i provided as well.  The second page of my pdf was the order details page before I refunded the buyer.  The 8th page of my pdf was the order details page after I refunded the buyer and showed that the funds had been deducted from me.

Message 23 of 26
latest reply

@real_solid_gold wrote:

Thanks for clarifying that.  Yup that's exactly what i provided as well.  The second page of my pdf was the order details page before I refunded the buyer.  The 8th page of my pdf was the order details page after I refunded the buyer and showed that the funds had been deducted from me.

They almost always decline my first attempt...I think just to see if  I will pursue it.

Message 24 of 26
latest reply

***UPDATE ***

My final appeal was approved by USPS and I was paid!  So my initial assumption that USPS insurance simply does not cover items sold on eBay must have been incorrect.  It does leave me a little baffled however as to why my initial claim and first appeal were denied.  There are only 2 possibilities that I can think of:

1.  I believe the initial claim and first appeal are handled by a different department than the final appeal which I think is handled by the office of consumer advocate.  Perhaps the consumer advocate office simply handles things differently (perhaps with more care and/or honesty).

2.  The ONLY additional document I uploaded for my final appeal was a screenshot of the "view payment details" page related to the sale.  As previously mentioned my prior uploads had included the "order details" page screenshot instead.  So perhaps this was what made the difference.

So after this experience I would suggest the following if filing an insurance claim with USPS for an item sold on eBay.

1.  Use "payment detail" page screenshot instead of "order detail" page screenshot for your proof of value.  Or perhaps use both.

2.  If your initial claim and subsequent appeal are denied do not give up!  Make sure you file your final appeal since it goes to a different department that approved my claim after it had already been denied twice.

Message 25 of 26
latest reply

Thanks for posting this information. I am preparing to respond to my second and final USPS "Insufficient Evidence of Value" appeal. I'm hoping that using a screenshot from the "payment detail" page instead of the "order detail" page will be the additional information that is needed.

Message 26 of 26
latest reply