cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buyer wants return for item exactly as described and no returns offered, no responses...

Since I don't sell on eBay that often I never offer returns.  I make sure any listing I have is as detailed and accurate as possible along with adding "sold as is, no returns offered..." all that jazz.

I recently sold two GBA games together, one that works and one that doesn't.  This was obviously stated as such and even the title reflected it.  I also had a picture showing the problem with the contacts on the non working game.  I mentioned it was possible the game might be fixable if you know what you're doing, but I couldn't make any promises. "Purchase at your own risk."

Fast forward to a few days ago when the buyer received the items, they sent a short return request saying the game that I said doesn't work...does not work.  I responded politely saying how this was already stated as such multiple times on the page and due to those facts I cannot offer a return.  But trying to be understanding, I offered a partial refund for the shipping costs.  The buyer declined without comment.

Unsure of what to do I sent another message asking if they were content now or if they were still seeking a full return, I wanted to solve this as best we could.  That was just over a day ago and they still have not replied.  Being a holiday weekend I know it might take some time, but this buyer is new (only 3 ratings) and I get the feeling they won't reply anyways.

With all that in mind...any advice on what to do?  I have until the 30th to try solving this without getting eBay's input.  After that I assume the best course of action would be to contact them to...void the return?  Or what exactly?  Like I said, I don't sell often and never offer returns.  No experience on this matter.

Message 1 of 11
latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

Buyer wants return for item exactly as described and no returns offered, no responses...

It sounds to me as if the buyer realized that the listing said "does not work" and now realizes that he purchased exactly that.  I say let sleeping dogs lie. No response is good response as far as I am concerned.

If he does come back and says he's still not satisfied, tell him to return the items at his expense, then refund. Otherwise do nothing.

Have a nice day!

Message 2 of 11
latest reply

Did they just send you a message asking for the return, or did they file an official return through the resolution channels? If just a message, then I wouldn't do anything else, no more messages to them unless they respond.

If they sent an official return request from the resolution center, then you have to do something, you have to follow the instructions in the return. If they filed a "Not as Described" case against you, then you will probably have to take the return. If you don't, ebay may give them the refund and not require them to return the item.

Message 3 of 11
latest reply

It was an official return request, but the reason was for "Doesn't work or defective" with their one comment referring specifically to the game I said did not work.  So even if it was "not as described" wouldn't I still be in the right since it was as described?

Message 4 of 11
latest reply

@zonified wrote:

It was an official return request, but the reason was for "Doesn't work or defective" with their one comment referring specifically to the game I said did not work.  So even if it was "not as described" wouldn't I still be in the right since it was as described?

Nope, eBay goes by the reason the buyer selected. You will have to click Accept the return and issue a return label. Otherwise, the buyer will wait 3 business days then ask eBay to step out, and you get a case closed without seller resolution defect.

Otherwise, click Refund now without requiring a return, and buyer keeps item.

Message 5 of 11
latest reply

@zonified wrote:

I make sure any listing I have is as detailed and accurate as possible along with adding "sold as is, no returns offered..."

There is no such thing on eBay as "sold as is, no returns or refund".  You can have "no returns", but that doesn't mean "no refunds".

I recently sold two GBA games together, one that works and one that doesn't.  This was obviously stated as such and even the title reflected it.  I also had a picture showing the problem with the contacts on the non working game.  I mentioned it was possible the game might be fixable if you know what you're doing, but I couldn't make any promises. "Purchase at your own risk."

Terms such as "buyer beware" or "purchase at your own risk" have no authority on eBay because of the Money Back Guarantee which guarantees that a buyer will receive an item in THE CONDITION THAT THEY EXPECT (these are the operative words, not the details of the policy) or they get their money back.

I looked at your listing, and despite whatever you might put in your listing, the overarching condition that you listed these as was "good" ... this implies that the games are expected to work, but may have cosmetic problems.  Here is the text for "good":

An item in used but good condition. May have minor damage to jewel case including scuffs or cracks, or to the item cover including scuffs, scratches, or cracks. The cover art and liner notes are included for a CD. VHS or DVD box is included. Video game instructions are included. No skipping on CD/DVD. No fuzzy/snowy frames on VHS tape. See the seller’s listing for full details and description of any imperfections.

With all that in mind...any advice on what to do?  I have until the 30th to try solving this without getting eBay's input.  After that I assume the best course of action would be to contact them to...void the return?  Or what exactly?

If you want to pay to have the games returned, then select that option, wait for them to come back, and then refund.

If you don't want to pay to have the games returned, then select that option and refund.

If you choose to do nothing, the buyer can ask eBay to step in and (a) you will be forced to refund their money,  (b) you will lose eBay and PayPal fees you paid, (c) you will get a seller strike, and (d) they will keep the item.

Message 6 of 11
latest reply

@orangehound wrote:

@zonified wrote:

I make sure any listing I have is as detailed and accurate as possible along with adding "sold as is, no returns offered..."

There is no such thing on eBay as "sold as is, no returns or refund".  You can have "no returns", but that doesn't mean "no refunds".

Of course, I wasn't suggesting there is.  This was a warning to the buyer to understand the condition the items were in.  The main game = works, the included game = does not work.  This is also just a common phrase I've seen numerous listings include so I was trying to keep it as clear as possible.

@orangehound wrote:

Terms such as "buyer beware" or "purchase at your own risk" have no authority on eBay because of the Money Back Guarantee which guarantees that a buyer will receive an item in THE CONDITION THAT THEY EXPECT (these are the operative words, not the details of the policy) or they get their money back.

Again, not saying that somehow protects me, it was to try to keep things understood for the buyer.  This is also where I'm confused.  If "the condition that they expect" is not the condition that I have described, how is the seller meant to argue against this?  What I mean is couldn't I buy an item said to be "good" but I am EXPECTING it to be "like new," meaning I could ask for a return/refund.  But the item was not described as "like new" it was "good" so where is the line drawn exactly?  At least in terms of how eBay's policy works.

@orangehound wrote:

I looked at your listing, and despite whatever you might put in your listing, the overarching condition that you listed these as was "good" ... this implies that the games are expected to work, but may have cosmetic problems.  Here is the text for "good":

An item in used but good condition. May have minor damage to jewel case including scuffs or cracks, or to the item cover including scuffs, scratches, or cracks. The cover art and liner notes are included for a CD. VHS or DVD box is included. Video game instructions are included. No skipping on CD/DVD. No fuzzy/snowy frames on VHS tape. See the seller’s listing for full details and description of any imperfections.

Since you can only refer to one item's condition, I chose good to reflect the main game in question while describing the other separately since that's what the listing was for, the main game.  This seems to be similar to other listings I referenced when trying to be as accurate as I could.  But this gets to the core of my confusion on how to go about this:  if I described the items exactly as they are (the main game works, the included one does not) then am I not allowed to fight against a full refund?  In my understanding (and please correct me if I'm wrong) eBay's policy states that I will be required to give a refund if my description is not accurate.  And while that is not the reason for the buyer's return request (defective vs not an accurate description) how does it fit in?  It was described as defective but they want to return it for being defective (forgive me if I'm repeating myself, I'm having a hard time wording what I mean).  Does this not fall under the whole "accurate description" thing?  Or does eBay just not care about any of that in general?

@orangehound wrote:

With all that in mind...any advice on what to do?  I have until the 30th to try solving this without getting eBay's input.  After that I assume the best course of action would be to contact them to...void the return?  Or what exactly?

If you want to pay to have the games returned, then select that option, wait for them to come back, and then refund.

If you don't want to pay to have the games returned, then select that option and refund.

If you choose to do nothing, the buyer can ask eBay to step in and (a) you will be forced to refund their money,  (b) you will lose eBay and PayPal fees you paid, (c) you will get a seller strike, and (d) they will keep the item.

Right, that's what I thought.

I guess I'm mainly hung up on the principle of the entire thing.  Being that the buyer wants a return/refund for an item that does not work even when described to not work.  I'm also just a little frustrated that the buyer won't respond to me so I can better understand where they're coming from and hopefully solve this so we are both happy.

Message 7 of 11
latest reply

@zonified wrote:

I guess I'm mainly hung up on the principle of the entire thing.  Being that the buyer wants a return/refund for an item that does not work even when described to not work.

I get that.  We all get that.  It is not fair.

But, buyers may not fully read a listing ... they may only look at the title and/or pictures and then impulse buy.  This is why eBay basically allows the Money Back Guarantee to be used for any and all reasons.  Messaging them to basically say that they are in the wrong will cause a buyer to not respond, or get angry ... and this leads to negative reviews.

So, the best approach is to be polite even to an idiot buyer, follow through on the return, put them on your Blocked Buyers List, and report the buyer to eBay as abusing the Money Back Guarantee.

It is frustrating as a seller, so you have to develop some thick skin as an eBay seller.

Message 8 of 11
latest reply

@orangehound wrote:

@zonified wrote:

I guess I'm mainly hung up on the principle of the entire thing.  Being that the buyer wants a return/refund for an item that does not work even when described to not work.

I get that.  We all get that.  It is not fair.

But, buyers may not fully read a listing ... they may only look at the title and/or pictures and then impulse buy.  This is why eBay basically allows the Money Back Guarantee to be used for any and all reasons.  Messaging them to basically say that they are in the wrong will cause a buyer to not respond, or get angry ... and this leads to negative reviews.

So, the best approach is to be polite even to an idiot buyer, follow through on the return, put them on your Blocked Buyers List, and report the buyer to eBay as abusing the Money Back Guarantee.

It is frustrating as a seller, so you have to develop some thick skin as an eBay seller.

Quite so.  I've put the return through now that I understand the circumstances a bit more, but I'll take that advice for next time.  Thanks for the input, much appreciated.

Message 9 of 11
latest reply

@zonified wrote:

Or does eBay just not care about any of that in general?

Ebay does not care. You can describe everything accurately, proper condition, crystal clear pictures and have the buyer tell you it was their fault.

You still have to take the return on your dime.

Buyer wins no matter what.

Message 10 of 11
latest reply

RE:  I mentioned it was possible the game might be fixable if you know what you're doing, but I couldn't make any promises. "Purchase at your own risk."

You sold the buyer a GBA Game that does not work and is not fixable.  Assuming you combined the shipping and do not want a non working GBA Game back, divide the total amount paid for the 2-GBA Games and issue the buyer a 1/2 refund.  Do this ASAP before Ebay issues a full refund!

Message 11 of 11
latest reply