cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buyer wants refund after 30 day return day policy

So as an eBayer who specializes in selling pre-owned footwear I have practicully no restrictions on returns, just as long buyer pays for return shipping. Unless the issue is somehow in fault of our store. Well buyer buys item 12/02/16, then send me a picture of item with a broken heel 1/23/17. I was unaware when item was even purchased, until I tried to cancel the order and got message that item was unable to be canceled. I told them that our return policy was extended to 30 days due to our store having pre-owned items. They said item was worn just the day before and this is what happened after the first wear, and if I don't refund them they will ask eBay to step in and leave negative feedback. I called eBay myself and they said I was in the right. However, they open a case thr Paypal which in turn held my funds and gave them a refund. I was unaware that Paypal can overide return policy's.  I called them and they said a buyer has upto 60 days to file a claim. I was shock! Why have a return policy at all then if Paypal a can override and extended an additional 30days? Has anyone heard of this? Have you experience anything similar to this? 

P.S.

Thx for your time and interest

Believe And Make it Possible*BAMP*
Message 1 of 6
latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

Paypal has a 180 day  purchase protection policy (no matter the venue), which mirrors most credit card policies. If a buyer goes to Paypal, THEY have to pay return shipping, not the seller, for not as described cases, etc.

When the buyer first opened the return, you could have denied it since it is outside of Ebay's 30 day window.  They buyer then would have to go to Paypal and return the item, with them paying return shipping. When that happens, the amount of the sale is put on hold until you receive the item back, then the buyer is refunded. That's how it works.

I love you forever, Christie! Fly high, precious daughter 1/14/1987-12/20/2016
Message 2 of 6
latest reply

Wow I guess I got that mixed up 180 days is alot more than 60, 3x's more. Wow!

Believe And Make it Possible*BAMP*
Message 3 of 6
latest reply

Yes mam it sure did happen to me. Same thing I have a return policy of 14 days buyer pays shipping unless it's our fault.

It makes no difference if you have return policies or not. It's all about the buyer to ebay and what a shame that is because without sellers you have no buyers. It really boils down to the all mighty dollar.

I remember back when you could leave neg. feedback for a buyer but ebay did away with this stating it scares away business. anyway we take the blunt end it seems like. I had one just this morning that returned my item destroyed and then left me neg. feedback. NICE right.

I am seriously thinking of moving to another site just know where to go with this. Any ideas?

Message 4 of 6
latest reply

I recently had a buyer open a return after 30 days.  I clicked the see details link to view the comments and reason for return.  Subsequently the next window resolved to the accepting return page, but I surely didn't accept the return, I simply wanted to view the details of the return.  

There was no option to accept, deny, give partial refund, or send message. It by passed that option altogether, and went straight to accepting the return, prompting me to buy a label.  

There have been other system errors such as sold items appearing in the unsold manage area.   

Suffice to say, I have trust issues.  Ebay's system is buggy causing me to often call but it's never just one representative unless I am connected to one stateside.

My two sense regarding the 60 day return policy - who buys something only to return it 60 days later? Scammers.  

What could one buy that needs 60 day return that doesn't already have a warranty?

Credit  cards offer 180 days return due in large part to service oriented sales.  That's to say most retailers have a 90 day return policy, and 30 days for DVD's, but the caveat is the items sold are new.

Offering a 60 day money back gaurantee on an item that's either perishable or antiquated is a stretch. In fact, most used outlets and consignment shops don't offer returns because of the one of a kind nature of the item.

Being held to the same standard as Paypal who sells gift cards and the like seems like an unfair market.  There are only so many ways to goof a gift card order, a vintage quality stereo...endless. 

Message 5 of 6
latest reply

JAMA... 

Yes  PayPal  policy   has  been in   existence  fo  quite  a long time.   I think  this policy is  completely  unfair to  all  Ebay Sellers.   Their lower  profit  margins  and   and  having to   obey  endles  Ebay  rules----    make  their  businesses    NOT  COMPARABLE   to  regular  Retailers---or  those in  the Credit  Card  indusry.    So  this  is  PP  policy is  unjustified.     But  Sellers  hav no  choice  except  to  comply.Smiley SurprisedSmiley Sad

Message 6 of 6
latest reply