cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buyer wanted to cancel shipped purchase, then claims damaged

Hello, I'm just hoping for some information regarding a recent transaction. I'll attempt to be brief. Any guidance is greatly appreciated.

I sold a used video camera, printed the label, and shipped it within 30 minutes. After I returned from the Post Office, I had a message that the buyer wante to cancel the transaction. EBay apparently let buyer know it might be too late, but they should contact me. I simply messaged the buyer that I'd already shipped the item.

An hour later, the buyer messaged me through eBay that she was considering refusing delivery because she really didn't want the camera. It wasn't posed as a question and it wasn't my decision, so I chose not to respond. I really didn't know what would happen. I was very concerned about this camera making another trip halfway across the country, but that's another issue.

Today, the item was delivered to the buyer via USPS, and she promptly claimed on eBay that the item was defective and wants a refund.

My response (of the 3 choices) was not to offer a refund or a compromise, but instead chose the option of messaging her, recounting that this was a matter of her trying to cancel the order that had already shipped, and then falsely claining the camera was broken. She actually claims the infrared doesn't function, yet this older camera was sold without a battery charger AS STATED CLEARLY in the listing. I mention this because she'd have to buy a very specific battery charger to even test the camera. And to be clear, I'm a professional photographer and this camera was fully tested and 100% functioning. In fact, the function used on her claim is not something that ever malfunctions in this camera. It's akin to claiming the sun visor on your car doesn't work. She would have to purposely break off a switch (that's intact in all photos) to support her claim, which means she likely damaged the camera.

PayPal froze the funds.

I filled out a "report buyer" page on eBay.

I'm of course resigned to the buyer either keeping the camera and having eBay give her the full refund, or the buyer sending back a camera she took a hammer to and me being out the cost of the camera and shipping. As for my history, I have 984 feedbacks at 100% positive. I've always been fair and honest. I've always tried to do the right thing when buying and selling on eBay.

Lastly, I packed this camera so carefully because it's a transaction that would wipe out the profit of so many of my small sales. I know it's small beans to most, but this one nearly $200 sale represents 40 of my other sales, and thus a ton of work.

Thanks in advance for any insight.

Message 1 of 7
latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

accept the return. thats it.

Message 2 of 7
latest reply

Count yourself lucky if the camera doesnt come back damaged.

Wherever you go, there you are. Please remember, when you are asked if you are a god, you say yes.
Message 3 of 7
latest reply

@cole88888 wrote:

An hour later, the buyer messaged me through eBay that she was considering refusing delivery because she really didn't want the camera. 

Today, the item was delivered to the buyer via USPS, and she promptly claimed on eBay that the item was defective and wants a refund.

Realize that you don't have the ability to prove the camera was not damaged during transit.

Accept the return and refund.

In my opinion some people  believe they exist in a world expected to coddle and should not hold them responsible for their actions.

Message 4 of 7
latest reply

Yep.....the minute she wanted to cancel the order you were in trouble. I assume you insured the camera? You need to take it back either way otherwise you'll end up without a camera and without funds and in a situation like this - damaged claim on an item someone tried to cancel - I would take it back regardless just so they didn't get to keep it.

Assuming you insured the camera - which I would have done at that amount, you can file a insurance claim. USPS has a minimum 100 coverage for priority mail if you didn't opt for the full coverage - which is better than nothing.
Message 5 of 7
latest reply

•USPS has a minimum 100 •coverage for priority mail

USPS default coverage is $50 unless OP is TRS and printed label through eBay.
Message 6 of 7
latest reply

You need to pick return for refund and do it fast. You only have three days from when she opened the case before she can have eBay step in. If that happens you'll be out the camera, the money and get a defect.

Send her a return shipping label and refund her when you get it back.

Message 7 of 7
latest reply