cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buyer trying to return working item

Hello all,

I'm looking for some advice. I recently sold a PS4 to a customer who is now telling me it has come up with an error message that requires a software update to fix it. I have explained to him that this is a normal, routine task for a PS4 owner to undertake, software updates come out regularly, but he does not want to perform it and has officially requested a return claiming the system is faulty. He literally just needs to update the software, it will take 30 mins of his time.

Does anyone have any advice here? Do I really need to accept the return because he doesn't want to update the software? Would eBay rule in his favour and make me refund him?

Thanks all

Message 1 of 10
latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

@rhiordy1. You need to accept the return or ebay will force you to then you don't get your fees back, you get a defect and the buyer may be allowed to keep the item. 

Comics-scifi_collectibles Is a Volunteer Community Mentor.
I have been a seller since 2003

Message 2 of 10
latest reply

Hi there, thanks for your response. Would I still need to accept the return given I had a no returns policy and the item is clearly working, simply in need of a simple software update?

Message 3 of 10
latest reply

No returns doesn't mean no returns  buyers can still return items with MBG

eBays  buyers money back guarantee  4 30 days  still is in effect if buyer wants 2 return 4 any reason

Stay safe

Message 4 of 10
latest reply

@rhiordy1  yes you have to accept the return. 

Your no returns policy only applies if a buyer files a return with a buyers remorse reason such as changed mind, wrong size etc. 

When a not as described case is filed you have to take the item back 

Message 5 of 10
latest reply

Thank you for clarifying. This strikes me as extremely unfair as the product works perfectly, the buyer just doesn't want to update its software. I'll get in touch with ebay and hope they can reimburse me for the postage costs.

Message 6 of 10
latest reply

@rhiordy1  

Do not ask ebay to step in. They will not refund you the return shipping and they might rule the case against you even before you get the item back. 

Message 7 of 10
latest reply

@rhiordy1 wrote:

This strikes me as extremely unfair as the product works perfectly, the buyer just doesn't want to update its software. I'll get in touch with ebay and hope they can reimburse me for the postage costs.

Unless the listing mentioned the system needed updating, it wasn't described right and buyer has a right to return it.

Don't contact Ebay, you could loose the money and item.

Have a great day.
Message 8 of 10
latest reply

I see, this strikes me as extremely unfair but I shall just have to accept it. Do you also know if the final value fee will be automatically refunded upon the return being processed or will I need to make a claim? Many thanks

Message 9 of 10
latest reply

The buyer is clearly taking advantage of eBay's return policy. Offer a partial refund if you want, otherwise, accept the return and block this buyer.

As a seller, I've gotten pretty lucky when it comes to buyers trying to take advantage of the return system, but since it's an "error" message (despite an easy fix), I don't believe eBay would side with you.

Message 10 of 10
latest reply