cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buyer saying damaged item

I sold a ringo doorbell for £85, I actually didn’t realise I had the top quality one going for £185 and £120 on amazon prime!! 

The buyer is saying the item is damaged but all the pictures I put on the listing show no damage.. they are saying that it is scratched but all working okay, even though they have set up the camera now, they want a full refund.. which would mean they had used it and it was no longer new for me to resell?!

has anyone had any experience with this and can offer advice.? I heard the buyer usually wins, I will be so out of pocket it will be unfair!

Message 1 of 4
latest reply
3 REPLIES 3

Though UK and USA policies are similar, there can be differences.  Thus, you should post your question on the UK boards:

https://community.ebay.co.uk/t5/Discussion-Boards/ct-p/13

If this happened to a US seller, here would be my guidance:

1. If the buyer has opened a Money Back Guarantee return request for damaged or not working item, you have to take it back ... as far as eBay is concerned, it is the opinion of the buyer (and not the seller), that determines the true condition of the item.  In the USA, the item can be automatically returned.   Refund when received back, and report the buyer if the buyer is lying or has used the item.  (The item could be OK, but the seller has changed their mind and wants to return it .. since you have a "no returns" policy, the only way they can return it is to activate the Money Back Guarantee).
  2. If the buyer opened a remorse request return, and you have the option to decline the return, then you can.
  3. If the buyer is only messaging you, then you don't have to act.
Message 2 of 4
latest reply

@orangehound 
Does that still apply if they've installed it? For some reason I thought if it has been installed then MBG was void? 

@pollyaellis 
I'd tell the buyer to return the item for a refund. He might be hoping for a partial from you as a discount. He may have scratched it installing. Like Orange stated UK could be different, but if you have free returns listed then you can deduct for item not being returned in same condition on certain categories. 
Follow up with reporting buyer (if violates policy) and add to block buyer list. 

Message 3 of 4
latest reply

@charity_scents wrote:

@orangehound 
Does that still apply if they've installed it? For some reason I thought if it has been installed then MBG was void?

@charity_scents 

Sometimes a buyer can't know if it is operational until it is installed, and this is particularly true of electronic parts.    The eBay policy that you are likely thinking of says that an item can't be "used".    So, if I install a video card and it doesn't work, then this isn't used but rather defective.  But if I install it and use it for 3 weeks and then it breaks, then this is "used".

Even if clearly used, however, eBay's enforcement of the condition of returned goods is very liberal.   I could sell a gallon of paint, the buyer could paint their room with it, and then want to return an empty can saying that the color wasn't as depicted in my listing ... eBay would want me to do a full refund.   SMH

Message 4 of 4
latest reply