cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buyer noted very specific packaging instructions.

I dont sell to often, and this is the first time I have ran across this.  A seller bought my item though Buy It Now where I offered free basic shipping and in the notes they put very specific instructions for packaging the item.  They said their carriers are carless and the item needs to be able to withstand being kicked.  A double wall box, bubble wrap, packing peanuts all greatly add to the shipping cost that I did not account for in my set pricing with basic shipping.  How would you handle this?  

Message 1 of 7
latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

Re: Buyer noted very specific packaging instructions.

The Buyer is trying to be helpful and doesnt realize that notes like this are annoying.

I usually pack just as I normally would.

Buyers can not dictate how to package or ship.

klhmdg  •  Volunteer Community Mentor
Message 2 of 7
latest reply

Just package it carefully.  Buyers have no authority to tell you what box to use and how to pack.  If they want special treatment they should pay more for handling.  Not all sellers have packing peanuts or bubble wrap on hand.  If they were this concerned they should have contacted you before they purchased. 

Message 3 of 7
latest reply

I don't let my buyers dictate my shipping methods, which are quite good. (Plus, the boxes do need to be able to withstand being kicked, dropped, stacked on, etc.) If it's the binoculars that you just sold, I would hope that you would already be prepared to double box with bubble wrap (around them) and bubble wrap around the inner box.

You made a good sale... I'd handle it by working hard to keep it! Good luck.

Message 4 of 7
latest reply

@mtgraves7984 wrote:

I don't let my buyers dictate my shipping methods, which are quite good. (Plus, the boxes do need to be able to withstand being kicked, dropped, stacked on, etc.) If it's the binoculars that you just sold, I would hope that you would already be prepared to double box with bubble wrap (around them) and bubble wrap around the inner box.

I was going to say, if it's the binoculars, OP needs to be shipping them like that anyway or there's a good chance they will not make it through the mail intact.

OP, how were you planning on shipping them? Because by saying that bubble wrap and packing peanuts would be an unaccounted-for expense, I'll be frank-- it sounds like you weren't going to package them properly for a trip through the mail.

Message 5 of 7
latest reply

I will be frank, I'm not sure you know my packing technique or the exact method requested by the buyer, but please assume I was going to send it incorrectly.  But thank you for making these assumptions about me!

Message 6 of 7
latest reply

I get (occasionally) buyers with long notes on how to ship.

It's really simple... I pack items in such a way that should satisfy even the most picky buyers. I don't change a thing about how I pack for anyone, I pack my way every time, because what someone requests is usually still below my average standard. 

I bubble wrap a lot of things that end up going into padded envelopes...honestly I get so much bubble wrap from my purchases and inbound orders that I barely use any of the bubble wrap I purchase. 1 240ft roll of bubble wrap lasts me nearly a year because I can re-use so much 

Message 7 of 7
latest reply