cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buyer not signing for delivery

Buyer paid for expensive item.  I shipped via USPS.  Purchased insurance and due to the value , the package requires a signature.  I notified the buyer that it would require a signature.  He said he had to work out of town over the weekend but would try to arrange things.  Now it is Tuesday night and the tracking still says the package has been "Intercepted" at the town's Post Office, which I take to mean that there has been a delay in getting his signature / delivering the package.  

I tried contacting the buyer with no response.  If he has had buyer's remorse and does not want to claim the package, do I have any recourse but to wait until the USPS returns the package to me and then refund him?  Or can he claim he never received it and I be required to refund before I get the package back?  Would I have to refund shipping as well?  Uuughhh...

Message 1 of 6
latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

Re: Buyer not signing for delivery

An intercept is normally done by the seller to recall the item and have it returned. I would contact USPS ASAP.

Message 2 of 6
latest reply

If he has had buyer's remorse and does not want to claim the package, do I have any recourse but to wait until the USPS returns the package to me and then refund him?  Or can he claim he never received it and I be required to refund before I get the package back?  Would I have to refund shipping as well?

@eggs3 

A lot of information here, but... if USPS returns the package to you (because they couldn't deliver), you'd be protected against an INR claim. But if the item comes back to you, it'd only be fair to refund the buyer, less shipping charges, upon its return. Well, that's my kneejerk reaction. Good luck to you.

Message 3 of 6
latest reply

"Intercepted' feature lets the sender or recipient stop delivery or redirect a package. So you need to wait till tracking shows delivered 

Since this package is redirected, you need to wait. Don't think ahead. Let  Buyer do whatever he needs to do. It'll be few more days.

DON'T REFUND. Then you're giving the item away!

Just wait, give it few more days. You're fine 

Message 4 of 6
latest reply

@eggs3 wrote:

the tracking still says the package has been "Intercepted" at the town's Post Office, which I take to mean that there has been a delay in getting his signature / delivering the package.  

The buyer might have had the package redirected. If that happened they just voided their eBay MBG protections. Wait to see what the next tracking scan says. If you're impatient you can call the PO and ask them why it's showing intercepted.

@eggs3 wrote:

If he has had buyer's remorse and does not want to claim the package, do I have any recourse but to wait until the USPS returns the package to me and then refund him?  Or can he claim he never received it and I be required to refund before I get the package back?  Would I have to refund shipping as well?

It doesn't sound like the package is being returned to you at this point because of the intercept notice. However, if the package were to eventually come back to you then:

• You would be protected from an INR (item not received) claim filed through eBay if the package was refused or non-deliverable to the address the buyer provided.
  • You would have the option to refund the buyer through the transaction, subtracting your shipping and non-refundable eBay fees.
  • You would have the option to cancel the transaction which would trigger a full refund and your eBay fees would be credited.
  • If the buyer filed an INR through their credit card (a payment dispute) then you might be protected by eBay, but really we've seen these cases go both ways. That's not something I would worry about in this case though.

Wait to see what happens with tracking (or call the PO to ask about the intercept) and go from there. Come back and let us know what happens @eggs3.

GLORIOUS!

Confused about the switch to eBay discounted shipping? Read this discussion to make an informed decision about opt in / opt out.
Message 5 of 6
latest reply

Happy to say that the buyer did pick up the package and is very pleased with his purchase, so all ended up well.  Thanks to all for info and advice!

Message 6 of 6
latest reply