cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buyer from UK wants me to ship via buyer's DHL account

I have the item available via EIS but the item does not show up in the UK. Uses 110 electrical plug might be the reason or just the category it is listed in. It is a $100 Power Distribution Unit. 

Anyways, buyer would like for me to ship using their DHL account and wants me to make the item available for them to purchase as they cannot purchase from their account at this time. Buyer is in Corby, UK.

I know there are a ton of ramifications for going along with this. Such as:

No seller protection if shipping with their account.

Item gets caught up in customs.'

Doubt that I would consider doing that.

I vetted their account and they are a large ebay seller and UK business owner.

What exactly does it take to ship internationally direct? Customs paperwork etc?

This is a first time for me, just fishing around for thoughts. All comments welcome..... Fire away,   lol.

Posting ID
Message 1 of 7
latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

I’m surprised someone in the UK would want a 110 plug. You would have to add an international shipping option for the UK in order for them to make the purchase.  If you use first class international shipping there is tracking to the UK.  I would not be comfortable using their DHL account.

When you print the label eBay adds the custom info to the label.  Since they put in the full listing title in the item line  I usually edit that and shorten it so that it shows only the info customs needs.

Message 2 of 7
latest reply

I wouldn't use their account but you can  easily mail direct to UK using pirateship's Asendia. Excellent service. It works in a similar fashion as ebay program. You send your item to their distribution center and from there, they deliver to UK.

You fill out the customs form/address label electronically. You use ebay's provided IOSS number (drop GB prefix) + a 10 digit harmonization number/code. Omit any periods, commas, no letters! If you find only an 8 digit code, you can add two 00 at the end. Also include buyer's phone number. Make sure you pick the right one and that the item is not on UK's prohibited list.

You can start figuring out the HS code, for example here:

http://www.transcustoms.com/World_HS_Tariff/HS_index.asp?language=English

or here:

https://hts.usitc.gov/

Your gadget would probably be found in chapter 85

The delivery to UK is very fast, 9-10 days, from the day you drop it off at the post office. Delivery scan 100% of the time. You can also insure your package.

Message 3 of 7
latest reply

So there are not any other shipping or customs hoops to jump through? Just print the label and ship?

Posting ID
Message 4 of 7
latest reply

@lakefor94 wrote:

I have the item available via EIS but the item does not show up in the UK. Uses 110 electrical plug might be the reason or just the category it is listed in. It is a $100 Power Distribution Unit. 

Anyways, buyer would like for me to ship using their DHL account and wants me to make the item available for them to purchase as they cannot purchase from their account at this time. Buyer is in Corby, UK.

You're correct on the ramifications, but collectively this is just looking really bad. In addition to the buyer taking full control of the shipment (to the extent that he could redirect it elsewhere, then file an Item Not Received dispute at the Ship To: address), all you need is one knucklehead who doesn't know the difference between a plug adapter and a plug converter (to drop the voltage from 220V to 120V) and it will be fried instantly as soon as he plugs it in, after which you get a Not As Described dispute coming your way.

Yes, you can ship internationally yourself via eBay First Class Package International, PayPal/Pirateship or other services, and the Customs forms will come up automatically, but if you're really determined to sell to this guy, I would specify eBay International Shipping only. That way, eBay will handle the Customs paperwork and, in case of disaster, any possible return and refund, not you. Good luck.

P.S. What does "they cannot purchase from their account at this time" mean, exactly? You need to see payment confirmation from eBay, not some emailed receipt only received via messaging.

Message 5 of 7
latest reply

@a_c_green wrote:

@lakefor94 wrote:

You're correct on the ramifications, but collectively this is just looking really bad. In addition to the buyer taking full control of the shipment (to the extent that he could redirect it elsewhere, then file an Item Not Received dispute at the Ship To: address), all you need is one knucklehead who doesn't know the difference between a plug adapter and a plug converter (to drop the voltage from 220V to 120V) and it will be fried instantly as soon as he plugs it in, after which you get a Not As Described dispute coming your way.

Yes, you can ship internationally yourself via eBay First Class Package International, PayPal/Pirateship or other services, and the Customs forms will come up automatically, but if you're really determined to sell to this guy, I would specify eBay International Shipping only. That way, eBay will handle the Customs paperwork and, in case of disaster, any possible return and refund, not you. Good luck.

"P.S. What does "they cannot purchase from their account at this time" mean, exactly? You need to see payment confirmation from eBay, not some emailed receipt only received via messaging."

The item does not show up in EIS as purchasable in the UK.

I have 1350 listings and ~350 show up as purchasable in the UK where as about 1300 are purchasable in Australia. 

I am kicking around the idea of doing some direct international shipping myself. The EIS program has not garnered many sales over the last several months since I opted in.

Posting ID
Message 6 of 7
latest reply

Thank you @martin2001 for the detailed information.  Appreciate it.

Posting ID
Message 7 of 7
latest reply