cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bought an item, seller sent it with insufficient postage?

USPS left a Missed Delivery note(PS form 3849) on my mailbox indicating that the item could not be delivered because "it requires a payment of $3.40 for postage due".

I was under the impression that if I missed the mailman, they would attempt a re-delivery or I could simply go pick it up at the post office. However, this note indicates that more postage is due, so I am confused.

How did the seller ship it out in the first place if the postage was insufficient?

If I decide not to pay/pick it up, will USPS return it to the sender?

Upon looking at the seller's feedback ratings I noticed several other people complained of the same insufficient postage problem with this seller, so I'm wondering if this is some sort of new scam. Please advise.

Thanks.

Message 1 of 4
latest reply
3 REPLIES 3

Re: Bought an item, seller sent it with insufficient postage?

Sounds like your seller sent something Media Mail that didn't qualify and the PO caught it. The USPS is suppose to charge eBay the extra postage when this happens, eBay then charges the seller. Since we don't know if the seller used eBay to print the label or not, can't really say what happened. You'll have to decide if you want the item or not. If you refuse it, however, you may no longer be covered by the MBG. Personally, I'd message the seller asking for the extra postage. If he doesn't cooperate, you'll have to decide the next step you want to take.

Postage due is one of the few reasons a buyer can refuse delivery and still be covered by buyer protection.

"It is an intelligent man that is aware of his own ignorance."
Message 3 of 4
latest reply

I'd probably not pay postage due over the price I had paid in the sale... unless maybe it was a hard-to-find item and it was worth another $3.40 to me. Rather... the seller can clean up this  mess and sell the item to you again later, if you're both ready, willing and able. 

@element2631 

"How did the seller ship it out in the first place if the postage was insufficient?"

The seller printed a label that wasn't left 'hands on' with a Postal Counter Clerk... maybe dropped in a bin or left with his/her regular carrier. It does happen. Good luck.

Message 4 of 4
latest reply