cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Beware with choosing Fedex for shipping

Hi all,

I wanted to let everyone know to be very careful when selecting FedEx as your delivery choice when purchasing labels. I just got off the phone with their billing department, and they are now doing a $3.26 surcharge on all packaging that are mailed to a residential address. The 4 lables I purchased with the ebay label maker last week had no mention of this additional, mandatory fee. They also said that the discount ebay says I get if I buy my lables from them are only a suggestion, and not set in stone. One of my packages got it's ~$10 ebay discount lowered to $5 on top of the $3.26 'residential fee'. The ebays costumer service representative I spoke to said that a lot of people had called today asking about the extra fee fedex had charged them too.

Message 1 of 13
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Re: Beware with choosing Fedex for shipping

But isn't the weight more important then the size, as long it isn't considered oversized?

Not on UPS or FedEx. The size determines the price, not the weight generally. Try this. Next time you have a package to ship by either of them, enter 3 pounds and a size of 6x6x6. Then leave it at 3 pounds and change the size to 10x10x10 (weight stays the same, price goes up). THEN leave it at 10x10x10 but change the weight to 4 pounds. (weight goes up but price stays the same). It's the size, not the weight.

And UPS and FedEx have ALWAYS charged a residential fee.

You have no doubt noticed that gas prices have taken a WICKED jump in the past month or so. UPS and FedEx have ALWAYS had a fuel surcharge as gas prices rise.

In the words of Kenny Rogers - if you're going to play the game you've got to learn to play it right.

View Best Answer in original post

Message 4 of 13
latest reply
12 REPLIES 12

You'll see additional FedEx charges billed at the end of the month. The residential surcharge is not new, nor is the fuel surcharge.

The big question is: What are the package dimensions and weight of what you shipped? You could potentially be hit with massive dimensional weight charges depending on the size of the boxes you shipped.

GLORIOUS!

Confused about the switch to eBay discounted shipping? Read this discussion to make an informed decision about opt in / opt out.
Message 2 of 13
latest reply

This was part of the case. I've only ever used usps and they only care about weight, and not really the dimensions. The fedex person in the billing department said that my boxes were 5 inches longer and 2 inches taller then what I entered in on the lables.  I estimated the size, as I used the suggested size that ebay recommended when I created the listed. But the weight was spot on, and I even rounded up a few ounces, like ebay suggested. But isn't the weight more important then the size, as long it isn't considered oversized? 

Also, why not tell me about this residential fee when ebay quotes me the price for the label? This seems very dishonest to say the lable will cost one price, but add on a $3.26 exra charge because it is going to a house instead of a buisness (and not not even mention this when buying the label). I had went with FedEx as they were the cheapest, but then they added $4-$9 to the price of each of the 4 labels I bought. And what's this about a fuel surcharged you mentioned?

Message 3 of 13
latest reply

But isn't the weight more important then the size, as long it isn't considered oversized?

Not on UPS or FedEx. The size determines the price, not the weight generally. Try this. Next time you have a package to ship by either of them, enter 3 pounds and a size of 6x6x6. Then leave it at 3 pounds and change the size to 10x10x10 (weight stays the same, price goes up). THEN leave it at 10x10x10 but change the weight to 4 pounds. (weight goes up but price stays the same). It's the size, not the weight.

And UPS and FedEx have ALWAYS charged a residential fee.

You have no doubt noticed that gas prices have taken a WICKED jump in the past month or so. UPS and FedEx have ALWAYS had a fuel surcharge as gas prices rise.

In the words of Kenny Rogers - if you're going to play the game you've got to learn to play it right.

Message 4 of 13
latest reply

@burger_boy wrote:

This was part of the case. I've only ever used usps and they only care about weight, and not really the dimensions.

USPS also uses dimensional weight.

Message 5 of 13
latest reply

Thank you for explaining this to me. One could only hope that ebay and FedEx could be this transparent about the extra fees.

Message 6 of 13
latest reply

UPS also   Disgusting practices

Message 7 of 13
latest reply

Theres a bigger fedex problem (EBAY PROBLEM REALLY, Fedex works fine) that has gone UNRESOLVED for at least 1+ years now. 
DONT USE FEDEX FROM THE EBAY APP FOR ITEMS $500 AND HIGHER (IOS APP confirmed, not sure but I bet same for Android) 

EBAY IS ADDING $5+ for SIGNATURE CONFIRMATION FOR THESE ITEMS WHEN IN REALITY SIGNATURE IS FREE FROM FEDEX FOR ITEMS $500+.
If you go to the ebay website and buy ur label there. It works fine and no fee is added. ONLY in the app (IOS FOR SURE, android likely, but pls confirm) 

I recommend Anyone who has been charged for fedex signature via ebay for items $500+ seek a refund from ebay asap, and/or prepare for potential class action lawsuit I am exploring

they like to nickel and dime us / me (top rated seller, 22 yrs on ebay, near pristine history in 850+ sales, yet ebay decides to punish me, then an agent lies to me (i even recorded it), and ebay ignores what their agent told me to do, which costed me hundreds of $$. And tells me agent was wrong and they will correct her training, but NOT credit me back for her mistake!! 

Now I will be sure to be VERY VOCAL and ensure the right thing is ALWAYS done, especially when ebay is at fault and the wrongdoer. 

Message 8 of 13
latest reply

Wow, ebay will do anything for a buck!

Message 9 of 13
latest reply

You learned your lesson for a bargain amount. Some sellers have been billed hundreds of dollars for the surcharges on a single item with both FedEx, and UPS.

Message 10 of 13
latest reply

True, everything looks differently with perspective. I still made money on the sale, and that's definitely better then loosing a ton of money.

Message 11 of 13
latest reply

I think due to cheap shipping service, so that we'll get what we pay for.

Message 12 of 13
latest reply

So true, it happened to me as well.

Message 13 of 13
latest reply