cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Automatic USPS cost adjustment steals money without proof

I am really upset with ebay giving the Post Office the ability to automatically steal money from us without any proof whatsoever that the "box size didn't match the service purchased".

In the USA, if someone has a claim against you, they take you to court and present evidence before being awarded damages. On ebay, the Post Office just steals your money, makes you call in demanding photos, then apologizes that a "system wide error" made a mistake and took money by accident. Then you have to wait for a refund.

I have been selling on ebay for 20 years and I know how to ship. I know my products and I know my weights. I also know when I ship in a SMALL flat rate box vs. a medium flat rate box.   I have NEVER had this problem until the last few months.  None of them were my fault and they have all been "decided in my favor" only AFTER I dispute them and wait for them to return my money.

This has happened 3 times to me now this year! Each time they have to refund me. Each time it's only for $5.10 or so. I think it's a fraudulent way to take from people who might not take the time to make a phone call.

Ebay, if you're listening, you need to make the post office submit a claim just like a buyer or any other "Plaintiff" would have to. They should have to provide their photographic evidence UP FRONT proving their claim. Then the seller has the opportunity to reply in defense. Giving anyone open ended access to our funds without proof is a scam and should be illegal.

Your current method makes us guilty until proven innocent; whereas we should be innocent until proven guilty.

Message 1 of 22
latest reply
21 REPLIES 21

I doubt that ebay has a say in the matter. I think that USPS does the same thing if you use other ways of printing your labels as well.

Message 2 of 22
latest reply

They should have to provide their photographic evidence UP FRONT proving their claim.

I get your point, but would you be willing to pay higher postal rates to cover the costs associated with this?

It's still a pretty new program; hopefully the glitches will be resolved over time.

Message 3 of 22
latest reply

APV is a USPS program under USPS policies. You agree to it by using USPS services (and by clicking the eBay label "Purchase label" button with the big notice under it.)

Anyone paying attention has known about the APV system for more than a year and a half. eBay has no say in the matter, nor does PayPal, Stamps.com, Endicia, Amazon, you when you print labels through USPS Click 'n Ship, or any other online postage provider.

Don't like it? Ship your packages at retail rates at the PO counter to avoid APV corrections (retail postage is not subject to APV adjustments), and/or complain to USPS and your congressman.
Message 4 of 22
latest reply

I feel we're already "paying more".  A 1-pound priority mail package has doubled in price since ebay's inception, yet the post office's traffic and revenue due to the increase in online sales over the last 20 years has grown exponentially.

And the post office is already taking the photos anyway.  They supply them (if it's a valid claim) when you call to dispute.  All I'm saying is they should be held accountable and have to provide the photos up front so that only valid claims are filed and not system wide money grabs out of people's accounts with no accountability.

My concern is it's less of a "glitch" and more of an open door for a scam.

I'm surprised at how many people just defend the policy and accept it as the way things have to be "or else" go somewhere else.  What ever happened to speaking up for truth and expecting others to be held accountable for their actions?

Disappointing.

Message 5 of 22
latest reply

And TODAY they did it again!! 

2 more charges $5.30 each trying to claim that my product that fits in the palm of your hand and that ships in a small flat rate box was actually shipped in a medium flat rate box!

This is ridiculous!  I should not have to fight with "system errors" that are stealing from me every couple of weeks.  This is becoming a trend and it is not fair!!

Message 6 of 22
latest reply

I was wondering what the process looks like, well now I know.  It seems to me that the main culprit is flat rate boxes misread by the system.  I guess from now on I'll need to keep photos of those.

Message 7 of 22
latest reply

@kim_y_buran wrote:

I was wondering what the process looks like, well now I know.  It seems to me that the main culprit is flat rate boxes misread by the system.  I guess from now on I'll need to keep photos of those.

Then by all means take pictures of them. 

As an eBayer I have yet to have any adjustment charges on any of my packages.

As a mail carrier I find short paid packages almost daily. My Postmaster has to check and see if they have already been caught by the system or if I'm going to have to collect Postage due. 

Only this week I have found a 12" x12" x8" package with .10 cu/ft postage from zone 5,

local business received 2 LFRB's and a MFRB all with SFRB labels and the boxes were so heavy I had to carry them in one at a time. Local eBayer sent out a 4#3oz package with a 8 ounce FCP label (that one the Postmaster had me return to them the next day.

Message 8 of 22
latest reply

Rather than posting on these  boards have you contacted USPS to resolve  your issue(s -1.800.275.8777.  USPS does take pictures of your priority shipments while they are on conveyors and  can verify what type package you shipped the in.  You  may have to  wait on the phone a while to talk to a live person but if it is worth complaining about your time should be well spent.  Be armed with the respective tracking numbers.

I would expect time is of the essence as don't think they  keep those pics forever.

GL

"I have the right to remain silent but I didn't have the ability." Ron White, Fritch, Texas
"Stay away from negative people, they have a problem for every solution." A. Einstein
The Devil made me do it! - Flip Wilson
If the band can only play loud - they ain't no good - peps too J.R. Johnson
Message 9 of 22
latest reply

Were these the boxes that someone discovered had the wrong barcode?

“Birth certificates show that you were born. Death certificates show that you died. Photographs show that you have lived.” -Unknown
Message 10 of 22
latest reply

@jbow345305 wrote:

And TODAY they did it again!! 

2 more charges $5.30 each trying to claim that my product that fits in the palm of your hand and that ships in a small flat rate box was actually shipped in a medium flat rate box!

This is ridiculous!  I should not have to fight with "system errors" that are stealing from me every couple of weeks.  This is becoming a trend and it is not fair!!

@jbow345305 

Your situation may be related to a printing error on Flat Rate Boxes.  The Small Flat Rate Boxes should have a barcode that reads "ps00011000003", but apparently there are a lot in circulation that have a different barcode ... one that ends in "22" (a zone-based postage box) and this will trigger the APV to challenge your shipping. 

You need to (a) challenge the charges, and (b) get rid of any stock you have with the bad barcodes.

Here is a picture of the SFRB with the printing error:

Wrong USPS Small Flat Rate Box.jpg

Message 11 of 22
latest reply

@lja440 wrote:

As an eBayer I have yet to have any adjustment charges on any of my packages.

Neither did I, until last last night when I got a notification that two of my regional B boxes were changed to regular priority mail.  Hopefully I win the dispute.

Still, it's vastly preferable to your mail carrier knocking on your door asking for postage due.

Message 12 of 22
latest reply

So I got Regional Rate box A1 adjusted to box B. For 2 of my boxes! Are you saying there is an incorrect barcode on the A1 boxes I have?!

Message 13 of 22
latest reply

Yes I have contacted the post office. They blame ebay and said ebay had a system error that caused this. I reported it to ebay. They blame the post office and said the post office tells them what to adjust and they adjust it. I contacted the Post Office Inspector general and they said I need to take it up with someone locally. I contacted the Attorney General of my state. I contacted Paypal and they said they have to charge what they're told because of my "subscription" to the shipping service. I've spent HOURS on the phone and the computer trying to reach a resolution. Ebay claims they'll look into it.
Message 14 of 22
latest reply

Not to me it's not. If someone wants to knock on my door, I can tell them to their face that I don't owe them a dime. When they steal the money out of my account, that just makes me "guilty" until proven "innocent" and I have no say about it. That's not the way the United States works. We are innocent until proven guilty, and I am innocent. I ship in small flat rate boxes and they should not be stealing money out of my bank account without permission. It makes me very angry.
Message 15 of 22
latest reply