cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anyone else find a higher shipping cost when decreasing one of the package dimensions?!

I came across a curious thing when printing a label for a 9 lb package that was 34"x7"x7".  If I decreased the length to 33", the cost increased.  Typically, I find the price on FedEx does not change when any dimension is changed an inch or two.  A change in price means I've hit a different rate tier.  But I've always found that decreasing dimensions or weight lowers the shipping cost.  I'm just wondering if others have encountered this situation. 

In this particular case, the difference is .90, which would be significant if I was shipping hundreds, or more, of the item (assuming this difference held true for any zip code).

Any shipping gurus here want to share thoughts .... 

Message 1 of 3
latest reply
2 REPLIES 2

Anyone else find a higher shipping cost when decreasing one of the package dimensions?!

Notice that in the 34" eBay is giving a FedEx discount of 20% while in the 33" the discount is 14%.

SO it is not that FedEx increased the price so much as it is a different discount structure through eBay.

Simple solution Use the 34" box.

Message 2 of 3
latest reply

Of course the discounts were noted. This was an observation of final cost, not a problem. In 10+ years if shipping, I hadn't ever encountered this. Was curious if others had.

I could ship the item in a 32 inch box with a  "34 inch" label.

Message 3 of 3
latest reply