cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Am I paranoid or is this a scam someones seen before?

New account created today buys and pays for an item.  I have UPS as the shipping option which the buyer chooses.  They list a physical address but also put a PO box on line 2.  Ebay won't let me use UPS due to the PO box.  Googling the physical address shows a college marine lab that's currently closed to visitors.

I messaged the buyer and am waiting for a response to make sure they're good with USPS (shipping wouldn't be much different).  

Am I just being paranoid?  I'm not sure how it could be a scam considering if USPS "delivers" I'm in the clear correct?  The package should go to the post office in the same city right?

Message 1 of 6
latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

I can't speak to the validity of the address. BUT if a buyer has a street address followed by a P O Box you can simply edit the address to remove the P O Box. That will then let you select UPS. Yes, it looks like you are "changing" the address. But you ARE shipping it to the address on the screen so there is no risk.

Message 2 of 6
latest reply

If the buyer doesn’t respond, and in my experience most newbie buyers don’t. I would cancel the transaction as problem with buyers address. 

Message 3 of 6
latest reply

Ahh, it's a college!!🤔🤔

Might just be paranoid, which honestly is not a bad thing whatsoever.

When I was in college, we had (mail) boxes. (Hah, I'm surprised I remember I was Box 472). It was the box the mailroom provided. It was NOT a PO box. It was technically private (thru the college). Mailroom placed my mail in there, USPS delivered centrally to the college.

Whenever I ordered from Amazon, I had no idea how to put the address. It was a physical address. Turns out the proper way was

Street Address

Box # 472

City, state, zip.

So buyer may very well have just placed the box number under PO box because they are just filling in the field provided to them by EBay. There (I dont think) isn't a separate field for box vs PO box so buyer put it as PO box, even though it isnt. 

Honestly sounds like an innocent mistake / issue and you can just blame it on EBay's systems.

Message 4 of 6
latest reply

I wouldnt remove the PO box, I would maybe remove "PO" though. Leave it as "Box"  *explained in my previous comment*

I doubt the buyer put a Box # by mistake, but i bet the PO aspect is improper.

Message 5 of 6
latest reply

@ajs_coins_and_alchemy wrote:

I wouldnt remove the PO box, I would maybe remove "PO" though. Leave it as "Box"  *explained in my previous comment*

I doubt the buyer put a Box # by mistake, but i bet the PO aspect is improper.

Yes. I agree.

Message 6 of 6
latest reply