cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2 Customer Service Representatives give 2 opposite solutions to buyer's remorse return.

I offer 30 day returns, buyer pays shipping on my listings. I sold a vase for $7, shipping was over $9. I got a notice that a return had been started, reason being "Doesn't match description or photos" buyer stated "The golden openwork is not as shiny as the photos, perhaps from the reflection of the camera, and I was looking for something a little bit more ornate." First of all there is no openwork and how can not as shiny as pic and her giving a reason of camera reflection, then she was looking for something a bit more ornate be a legitimate reason for item not as pictured or described. I would gladly refund the purchase price of the vase, but I should not be responsible for her postage. I called Customer Service as soon as the return was started. Representative totally agreed it was a buyer's remorse case and suggested I do not refund the money, when I receive package, she told me to call back and appeal the case. So I got package back today, called Customer Service and today's rep suggested I refund the money so it wouldn't be held against me. WHAT???!!!! Ebay, it's no wonder sellers are leaving. NO SUPPORT! 

Message 1 of 9
latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

Re: 2 Customer Service Representatives give 2 opposite solutions to buyer's remorse return.

@sebil wrote:

1. I called Customer Service as soon as the return was started. Representative totally agreed it was a buyer's remorse case and suggested I do not refund the money, when I receive package, she told me to call back and appeal the case.

2. So I got package back today, called Customer Service and today's rep suggested I refund the money so it wouldn't be held against me. WHAT???!!!! Ebay, it's no wonder sellers are leaving. NO SUPPORT! 

1. The first step was to get you to accept the return and provide a return label.

THIS IS FOR YOUR OWN BENEFIT so that you would likely get your actual item back.

2. The second step was to avoid asking eBay to step in and force a refund.

THIS iS FOR YOUR OWN BENEFIT or you would earn a deadly case closed without seller resolution defect.

eBay is looking out both ways for you.

Message 2 of 9
latest reply

Re: 2 Customer Service Representatives give 2 opposite solutions to buyer's remorse return.

I don't see it that way.
Message 3 of 9
latest reply

I really wish the CS agents would just say over stuff like this, “When someone wants to return something, they usually get upset if they are denied and especially if they have to pay return shipping.” Buyers send things back all the time for all kinds of crazy and legitimate reasons. If you force the issues as a seller you will get a strike against your account for doing so. So decide what is more important. Good customer service, even if the buyer is not being as good, or a strike against your account and a  bad feedback.

Message 4 of 9
latest reply

The question is who should pay the return shipping.

In a case of Buyer Remorse, the buyer should be paying the shipping, but since all human beings are selfish, insisting on the buyer paying return shipping is likely to lead to a Not As Described dispute where the seller is required to pay return shipping if she wants the item back.

Hindsight as we all know is 20/20. 

Did you tell the buyer to return for refund before any Dispute was opened?

Sometimes, that will encourage an honest but unhappy buyer to pay for the shipping.

But ....

as things stand,  if you got the vase back in saleable condition, I'd call it a win and refund the full original payment. 

Maybe try refunding the original payment less return shipping and see if you can do that?

The main thing is not to court a Defect by refusing to refund at all even partially, because that will be much much more expensive than $9.00 or even $18.00.

If you have one percent or fewer of your transactions going bad annually, you are about normal for eBay.

Not all transactions will go perfectly.

Message 5 of 9
latest reply

You are lucky ONLY to have 2 different solutions. I have had multiple suggestions, then hang up on me multiple times and finally not even answer my phone call. Your phone number is there so they know who calls. I have been able to call in successfully these times by using my husband's cell phone which they don't know. It' hilarious. I even had one rep ask how I managed to get through - I said 'magic'.
Message 6 of 9
latest reply

If the buyer opened a return request stating that the item doesn't match the description, it is not a remorse return but rather a SNAD and you are required t pay the return shipping under the MBG.  I'm not sure how a CSR could say it was not.

Alas!  The CSR staff on eBay are not as reliable as they should be.  Frankly, I've always wondered how eBay can hire people to act as customer service representatives for the company and not have to be responsible for what they say as a representative of the company.  Sort of reminds me somewhat of politics. Smiley Frustrated

"It is an intelligent man that is aware of his own ignorance."
Message 7 of 9
latest reply

@reda3615 wrote:

eBay is looking out both ways for you.

That isn't even remotely true to the point of giant full belly guffaws.

Message 8 of 9
latest reply

Sorry, but you are lucky you only got 2 different responses from eBay reps.  I have gotten 4-5 at times with none of them ending up correct.

Message 9 of 9
latest reply