cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

USPs tracking no longer real time

I have contacted USPS about their system not showing accurate information.  I have gone to several Post Office locations and am having the same issue.  Recently, when I use the lobby kiosk, the online message says "USPS expects item for mailing."   Also, when using the counter staff, the online message says "The seller has provided a tracking number.  The tracking status will be updated once the shipment reaches the carrier."  SO, tracking information/status is no longer real time.  There is a significant delay, whichever option you use (kiosk or counter).    My concern is how this delay may affect my shipping window with ebay. 

BTW, the USPS technical support response was that it was not a technical issue.  Yes, it is.....in my opinion, since it has to do with how the system is now operating.  They have not responded to my reply. 

Anyone else have this issue?

Message 1 of 15
latest reply
14 REPLIES 14

@thetreasuredbutterfly wrote:

I have contacted USPS about their system not showing accurate information.  I have gone to several Post Office locations and am having the same issue.  Recently, when I use the lobby kiosk, the online message says "USPS expects item for mailing."   Also, when using the counter staff, the online message says "The seller has provided a tracking number.  The tracking status will be updated once the shipment reaches the carrier."  SO, tracking information/status is no longer real time.  There is a significant delay, whichever option you use (kiosk or counter).    My concern is how this delay may affect my shipping window with ebay. 

BTW, the USPS technical support response was that it was not a technical issue.  Yes, it is.....in my opinion, since it has to do with how the system is now operating.  They have not responded to my reply. 

Anyone else have this issue?

How "real time" do you expect it to be? Like, seconds?

Message 2 of 15
latest reply

Really, sarcasm?  I've been selling on eBay for approximately 15 years and have watched many changes over the years.  There appears to be a recent change in how USPS uploads the online information that could potentially impact a Top Rated seller's late shipment rate numbers, certainly if they cut it close to whatever timeframe they have designated.

PS.  I asked the Clerk at the PO counter today and she said that the online tracking information/status should be in the system and available immediately......so seconds would be accurate.  🙂

Message 3 of 15
latest reply

I shipped 3 boxes two weeks ago on a Saturday.  All 3 were scanned at the counter.   The 2 priority mail ones  arrived on Monday.  Tuesday was the 4th of July.   On Wed, when I checked for the 3rd one, it said that I had printed a shipping label! Yikes.  Anyway, by Thursday,  it had arrived and  the tracking was correct.  So I don't know why there was no information on this one first class package until Thursday and not Saturday afternoon (I mailed early in the morning).  To me, it was some sort of glitch  since I did see the clerk scan all 3 boxes.  

Message 4 of 15
latest reply

Glad all went well with you.

I was away from 7/11-16 and placed my store on vacation.  The last shipment I made, before vacation, was 7/9 and all was as it should be - tracking in the system immediately.  I always follow up and confirm on-line tracking with each shipment, as I had made a mistake in entering the wrong #s and was "dinged" for not fulfilling my 2-day shipping requirement.  However, I noticed the change when I returned and shipped on 7/17, 7/18, and today, 7/19.   The wording has changed, as well. 

Message 5 of 15
latest reply

Really, sarcasm?  I've been selling on eBay for approximately 15 years and have watched many changes over the years.  There appears to be a recent change in how USPS uploads the online information that could potentially impact a Top Rated seller's late shipment rate numbers, certainly if they cut it close to whatever timeframe they have designated.

PS.  I asked the Clerk at the PO counter today and she said that the online tracking information/status should be in the system and available immediately......so seconds would be accurate.  🙂

don't believe that... the tracking seems to have times when it is updated...and maybe there are p.o. or facilities that it DOES process asap..but semms to get scanned andf then updated at certain times, BUT sometimes you will find the USPS site has updated sooner than EBAY...but i believe ebay is using the time the scan shows... but have never watched that close.... 

no method is going to work perfectly..ebay depends on USPS(and others) to update...and thier system can have its own issues...so it is something that has to be watched if it seems that it could be an issue...but i doubt it will ever be excact.... 

Message 6 of 15
latest reply

If you ask three different clerks or carriers you will probably get three different answers. The website is vague too. It's a huge operation and isn't always very precise. But I've had many scan hiccups (it's annoying, I know) and have 100% on time as far as ebay is concerned. Good luck~

Message 7 of 15
latest reply

Yes, that is why I brought up this subject, so that others could be aware and watch closely (should they need to).   Small and/or low volume store sellers, like myself, could be affected more when online tracking validation is delayed.   

Message 8 of 15
latest reply

True, about the clerks.    🙂    Annadryl, you are a long time seller.  Have you noticed the change this week?

Message 9 of 15
latest reply

True, about the clerks.    🙂    Annadryl, you are a long time seller.  Have you noticed the change this week?

...Not this week specifically, but I'm in that Summer Slump myself. I did however notice a gigantic drop in scans altogeather maybe six months ago. Not just here, everywhere. Overall no problems with ebay but general irritation Smiley Frustrated (*fingers crossed*) Good luck~

Message 10 of 15
latest reply

Yep, Summer Slump.  Wishing you well during the "season".  

Message 11 of 15
latest reply

UPDATE, as of 7/20 pm:  Talked to clerk at different post office.  He also thought that tracking info should show immediately upon payment processing at the counter; however, he indicated that USPS has "upgraded" their system recently and everything (his words) has slowed way down. 

Message 12 of 15
latest reply

UPDATE, as of 7/20 pm:  Talked to clerk at different post office.  He also thought that tracking info should show immediately upon payment processing at the counter; however, he indicated that USPS has "upgraded" their system recently and everything (his words) has slowed way down. 

That might make some sense. In that case it would be like one of ebay's "updates"! Thanks~ 

Message 13 of 15
latest reply

I have to say that I have never, ever seen tracking show up immediately-- for me, it typically shows up after 5 PM when the post office closes and they upload all of their tracking data.

Message 14 of 15
latest reply

Perhaps it depends on the size of the post office.  There is, however, a new system that is affecting tracking, and other actions, within the USPS.

Message 15 of 15
latest reply