cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Package stuck in transit... How long should I wait before requesting refund?

I recently purchased a pricey item from a seller. He provided great customer service and shipped the item the next day. The item was due to arrive between dec 2nd and 6th. It was marked as in transit from the 3rd to the 5th. It updated every morning at 9:05am. It hasn't updated since the fifth. The seller has done well on his part and I want my package. This is an issue that has never happened to me before. I called USPS, they attempted to consider the case closed after someone from my local office called and did nothing more than tell me that she would contact me when it arrived at my local post office. The problem there is that, according to the tracking, it hasn't even arrived in my city. It just stuck at the last update of 'in transit' on the 5th at 9:05am. I called today and had them reopen the case. They requested i give them until monday to find out where it is. If this package does not get moving again after monday, how long should I wait before requesting a refund on package that is not surfacing?

Message 1 of 10
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Since eBay allows a buyer 30 days to file a claim through their Money Back Guarantee, including an INR claim, I would count forward from the purchase date and wait close to that date. You know the seller has shipped and it’s on it’s way so have some patience, but keep the 30 day deadline in mind.

View Best Answer in original post

Message 6 of 10
latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

How pricey is 'pricey'?

Is it bigger than a breadbox?  Smaller packages are more likely to get misplaced along the way.

This time of year, packages take longer and tracking is less accurate.  I would wait at least a week after the last estimated delivery date.

If you get refuned and the package arrives later, you WILL re-pay the seller, correct?

Forget keeping up with the Joneses. Be the Finklegrubers!
OK kids, time to get the Dodge loaded up again. I hear 'Poppy's By the Tree' calling. This trip might be a long one too.
Message 2 of 10
latest reply

@the_wolf_and_phoenix_shop wrote:
 ... The item was due to arrive between dec 2nd and 6th. .... I called USPS, they attempted to consider the case closed .... I called today and had them reopen the case. ...

Seriously you opened a case and called USPS multiple times about a package that was one day overdue?  This is the busiest time of the year for USPS, and with the surge in online shopping, they are absolutely backed up.  

Give it a few more days, at least,  beyond next Monday.   You are covered by eBay's buyer protection policy, AKA the "Money back guarantee" if the package never shows up.

To try to reassure you, I'm including an image from the tracking history for a package that I received yesterday: No scans at all for 10 days!  Apparently when USPS is backed up, they don't take the time to scan the package at every stop.

EMILY DOLL TRACKING 10-DAY GAP.png

Message 3 of 10
latest reply

Answer to both questions. Yes, i opened a case with usps. I would rather neither I or the seller loose on this.  This package was close enough that it should have arrived within three days shipping. Normally packages take no longer than two days (with priority mail) to get to me. Ive been purchasing online, monthly, for over 10 years and have never had this problem, hence needing to ask advice.  I am willing to wait long as something positive comes out of this. Even if it means i miss out on the item I wanted and have to deal with the refund. Pricey is more than a 100 but less than 200. It was priority mail so it automatically includes 50 dollar insurance. And of course I would pay the seller if I request a refund and then recieve the package. I am happy with the purchase and the price and therefore I am currently happy with the seller and would rather not request a refund unless absolutely necessary. If a package gets lost, it often hurts the seller more than the buyer (i.e. ratings, profit-loss, etc.). And thankyou, partialeclipse, for sharing that screenshot with me. While what i paid may not be pricey for others, it is pricey for me. I've never spent this much on a item through the mail either. So naturally, I am a bit anxious with the repetive update and then no updates...

Message 4 of 10
latest reply

By the way, was your package priority mail (the one stuck for 10 days)?

Message 5 of 10
latest reply

Since eBay allows a buyer 30 days to file a claim through their Money Back Guarantee, including an INR claim, I would count forward from the purchase date and wait close to that date. You know the seller has shipped and it’s on it’s way so have some patience, but keep the 30 day deadline in mind.

Message 6 of 10
latest reply

A few years ago during the Christmas rush, I had a Priority Mail package take 15 days to be delivered about 400 miles away.

You should relax.

Message 7 of 10
latest reply

Just a helpful hint. I had a package stuck with UPS worth 200$ for 15 days recently 3blocks from my house in their warehouse. Give it time. It's that time of year.

Lea

Message 8 of 10
latest reply

Do you mean you had a USPS put a trace on the package? Because they won't treat a package as lost until 21 days after it has been shipped.

Message 9 of 10
latest reply

i recieved a message about the address,having extra info such as a p.o.box attached to the address. you may deliver to the address not the p.o.box at the address if you so choose. it wont matter either way. the address is allso the receiving address a buisness is present there,and would except the item at the counter.sighned cherrree pittman

Message 10 of 10
latest reply