cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Managed Payment glitch

After being in Managed Payment since June 4th, my account is all of a sudden on Payment Hold status, and when I call customer service they say it is because my account was just switched to "casual seller" status on August 14th. Now, I have to wait until an item is delivered for the payment to be sent to my bank account. I have been selling on eBay for over 20 years, and have recently sales have been over 2k for the last 2.5 months. I am told my payments will be on hold until I sell 20 more items. When I call customer service, they cannot locate any documentation of the on the eBay website, and they said this detail was not included in the Managed Payment contract that I was forced to sign, or quite selling. So this is a glitch that needs fixed. This needs to be documented to that everybody knows their payments will now be on hold, until delivery is complete, for their next 25 items sold, no matter how many sales they have had in the past. The counter stared in August, and everybody in now a "casual seller" until they have sold 25 new items.

Message 1 of 11
latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

Managed Payment glitch

After being on hold to speak with a manager in customer service, I was told that all sellers must now sell over 25 items, in a rolling 2 year period, beginning when they enrolled in Managed Payments, to move out of "Casual Seller" status. It doesn't matter how many sales you have had in the past. That is irrelevant.  Once a seller moves out of "Casual Seller" status, their payouts will no longer be on hold until 2 business days after the item is delivered. Then, if a seller falls below 25 items sold, in any rolling 2 year period, they will drop back down to "Casual Seller" status, and their payments will automatically be on hold again. However, the manager could not find any documentation of this on the website. In addition, the seller cannot see their status (casual seller, or not casual seller) on the eBay website. Nor can the seller see how many more sales they need to reach the next level, for their payments to stop being on hold for "Casual Seller" status. There needs to be documentation of this change, that sellers can see online. There also needs to be a place online where sellers can see if they are designated as a "Casual Seller" or not, and how many more sales they need to move up to the next level, so their payments are not on hold. I was told to click on the link at the very bottom of any screen, where it says "User Agreement" to see this documentation. However, that documentation is out of date. It still talks about Paypal. The documentation found at the hot-link for "User Agreement" needs to be corrected. That is a tech issue. The hot-link is linking to the wrong documentation. The policies have dramatically changed, but the website has not been updated so that the seller can see these changes in writing. The manager I spoke with said he gets calls all day long about this. Maybe if the website was update, your managers would not have to spend all day telling sellers that the rules have changed, and it is not documented.

Message 2 of 11
latest reply

Managed Payment glitch

tyler@ebay

brian@ebay

What is this about?  Where is this documentation?  @affairs.of.estate   has submitted a very clearly worded message here and it needs responding to asap.  Thank you.

Message 3 of 11
latest reply

Managed Payment glitch

@affairs.of.estate 

I just asked about this on the Weekly Chat going on live right now.  Here is tyler@ebay  's response:

"Just like before eBay managed payments, there are situations where we will place funds on a temporary hold. There are a variety of reasons for the holds, and one of them is based on selling activity. For members that sell casually (used to be called 'occasionally') we will place funds on hold until the item is delivered. 

A casual seller who has their payments managed by eBay is defined as: A seller who has not completed 25 transactions in the last 2 years. These holds are eligible for an early release based on proof of successful delivery and that can be done by CS directly. 

As to public facing documentation, there isn't anything that goes into specific detail like I've shared, but it is briefly mentioned in the T&Cs for payments (the 'Holds' section in Section 7). Specifically, "Each hold may be based on factors including selling history, seller performance, returns, chargebacks, riskiness of the listing category, transaction value, the ability to make direct debits from your Linked Financial Account, or the filing of eBay Buyer Protection Program claims." "

Message 4 of 11
latest reply

Managed Payment glitch

@myhomeschooldelights wrote:

@affairs.of.estate 

I just asked about this on the Weekly Chat going on live right now.  Here is tyler@ebay  's response:

"Just like before eBay managed payments, there are situations where we will place funds on a temporary hold. There are a variety of reasons for the holds, and one of them is based on selling activity. For members that sell casually (used to be called 'occasionally') we will place funds on hold until the item is delivered. 

A casual seller who has their payments managed by eBay is defined as: A seller who has not completed 25 transactions in the last 2 years. These holds are eligible for an early release based on proof of successful delivery and that can be done by CS directly. 

As to public facing documentation, there isn't anything that goes into specific detail like I've shared, but it is briefly mentioned in the T&Cs for payments (the 'Holds' section in Section 7). Specifically, "Each hold may be based on factors including selling history, seller performance, returns, chargebacks, riskiness of the listing category, transaction value, the ability to make direct debits from your Linked Financial Account, or the filing of eBay Buyer Protection Program claims." "

@myhomeschooldelights  Good idea to ask on the Chat, .... yep, I guess they decided not to share that little detail with Sellers if I understand what was said on the Chat ... subterfuge comes to mind ... and OH, how nice Sellers have to contact CS directly to get money released ... now THAT'S a daunting task in this Covid world huh!?!  Not impressed, the Seller should have been notified directly by eBay to explain the Hold situation ...

@affairs.of.estateI am very sorry this happened to you ...

Regards,
Mr. Lincoln - Community Mentor
Message 5 of 11
latest reply

Managed Payment glitch

@mr_lincoln 

No kidding!  Agree totally.  Glad I asked on the WC though.  We got a pretty quick answer that way at least.  

Message 6 of 11
latest reply

Managed Payment glitch

@myhomeschooldelights wrote:

@mr_lincoln 

No kidding!  Agree totally.  Glad I asked on the WC though.  We got a pretty quick answer that way at least.  

@myhomeschooldelights   Too bad all the questions on the Chat aren't answered that quickly ...

Regards,
Message 7 of 11
latest reply

Managed Payment glitch

Still, the change is said to apply to all sellers. It does not matter if a seller had 100 sales last year, or even this year, before they signed. The count began when the new managed payment contract was signed, and the new policy enforcement began in August 2021. The manager I spoke to suggested I try to sell 20 more cheap item quickly, to reach the next level, if I want to get paid sooner. My sales since signing are only 5, and I sell higher priced items. 

Message 8 of 11
latest reply

Managed Payment glitch

@affairs.of.estate wrote:

Still, the change is said to apply to all sellers. It does not matter if a seller had 100 sales last year, or even this year, before they signed. The count began when the new managed payment contract was signed, and the new policy enforcement began in August 2021. The manager I spoke to suggested I try to sell 20 more cheap item quickly, to reach the next level, if I want to get paid sooner. My sales since signing are only 5, and I sell higher priced items. 

@affairs.of.estate   Well, if they did that I did not notice it ... I hit 25 in the first two weeks and am on Weekly Payouts ... so Payouts were the 2nd, 8th and 16th ... I did not see any money in the Hold spot ... $$ seemed to move from Processing to Available as it should have ...

Regards,
Message 9 of 11
latest reply

Managed Payment glitch

It is related to the immediate payment option.

Message 10 of 11
latest reply

Managed Payment glitch

Also, if a seller sold at least 25 items between the date they signed the new managed payment agreement, and the time that it went into affect in August 2021, they would not notice a difference. 

Message 11 of 11
latest reply