cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

why are sellers now cancelling completed sales?

I have had 3 sellers in the past week cancel a sale after the auction closed with no reason given. Am I to believe that is ok now? If you don't get as much as you want just cancel it? I thought that is what a reserve auction was for. I sold for years and lost money on many items. Can't even leave feedback staing the seller is sketchy...

Message 1 of 40
latest reply
39 REPLIES 39

I agree, but you have no control over ebay, you can only control your own actions and you must do so in a way to protect yourself. Ebay is serious about sellers cancelling sales and they will let the hammer fall on you if you exceed 2% and your claim/issue regarding visibility will fall on deaf ears and will not get your account reinstated or your suspension lifted.
"Those who enter the arena unarmed or unprepared are quickly dispatched."
Message 16 of 40
latest reply

I had a buyer ask me to cancel a sale from an auction she bid on because she "decided they just weren't right for her". (arg)

Anyway, am I going to get a neg for her irresponsibility? That wouldn't be right at all... I did state that the concellation was at the buyer's request, not mine.

To make matters worse, it's been 2 weeks and she won't confirm the cancellation!

Message 17 of 40
latest reply

The exception to this rule (or any other ebay rule for that matter) are big box stores. One has a 3,665 neg feedback in the last 12 months and 302 so far this month and it's only the 13th of the month. This is probably why ebay quit counting negs as a metric.

90% of these negs are for cancelling auction due to out of stock, other 10% for shipping damage. If ebay enforced their own rules for everyone equally, this one particular store which is not such a "best buy" (wink, wink) deal would have been kicked off ebay years ago.

Just as in real life, those with money have different laws and rules applied to them than us mere mortals.

A buyer cancellation request does not count as a defect. It's only a headache for you to hopefully receive the same item back instead of a box of bricks, before you have to refund.

Message 18 of 40
latest reply

... To make matters worse, it's been 2 weeks and she won't confirm the cancellation!...

Open a UPI case, now!

Message 19 of 40
latest reply

@phcd1 wrote:

... To make matters worse, it's been 2 weeks and she won't confirm the cancellation!...

Open a UPI case, now!

No can do. Once the cancel request is done by the seller, you are no longer able to request an unpaid case.

However, it does time out in approximately 10 days, if it's not timing out on it's own, check to see if the fees are recovered in your account. If they are, just archive it and forget about it.

If by 12 days have passed, you haven't got your fees back, place a call.

A buyer isn't required to confirm a cancellation and many of them who request cancellation don't confirm it at all. (I see this as a lack of courtesy to tie up a sellers item for 10 days while they wait to relist). But unfortunately nuissances is part of business.

C.

Message 20 of 40
latest reply

As long as the big box sellers are making a lot of money for ebay they will not get kicked off for canceled sales for out of stock. Their percentages figure the same as small sellers only they have volume sales. When someone sells in higher volumes the rate of out of stock items may go up drastically compared to a small seller. It happens on these big box stores regular websites as well. If you sell a jillion items there is much more chance of these out of stocks to happen.
Message 21 of 40
latest reply

I had this just happen. It's really frustrating. It was a buy it now and the seller accused me of being a bully because I did that I really wanted to post negative feedback but wouldn't. I do t think it should be so easy to cancel a sold item.
Message 22 of 40
latest reply

I had no idea this was even allowed until I experienced this for the first time just recently.

A seller listed an item at a price with no reserve.  I ended up being the only one bidding on it and won.  Less than 24 hours later the seller cancels the sale. **bleep**?!?  That is not cool and should totally violate selling policies.

Just like buyers are obligated to buy, sellers should be obligated to sell; especially if the item is won or bought properly.  Makes no sense to even have this option available unless it is AGREED upon first from either the buyer or seller requesting.  Both parties should be in agreement for it to happen is what i mean.

If a buyer doesn't pay, their account is at risk for suspension.  But if a seller doesn't sell, the worst that can happen is the buyer can leave a negative feedback?  Wow.

The sad thing is this seller has a perfect score of over 400 with no negs.  I have contacted him MANY times now with no reply.  To top it off, the seller has listed two items since this cancellation, so I know he or she has been active and has read my messages.  No excuses.

And eBay doesn't even have a topic for this already put in the policy.  I had to search for this topic in the community.  They need to fix this immediately.  How is this not in the policy or mentioned at all?  It really shows bias from eBay and that is not good.  This is a two-way street.  Both, buyers and sellers play equal roles to keep eBay alive.

Also, since it's not in the policy, what am I supposed to do?  I can't reply to the cancellation either because the option I want isn't available.  There's only two.  I didn't pay or I paid and didn't recieve refund.

Well, I want to pay but seller cancelled without my approval, that should be an option.  Again, shows bias.

This has to be looked at immediately.  It's so obvious that the seller did not get the price he/she wanted.  And also doesn't help that seller won't reply.  Ridiculous.

And lastly, there isn't anyway to report this kind of situation.  But a seller can promptly open up an UPI case against the buyer after 2 days right?  Again, wow.  SMH.

Message 23 of 40
latest reply

I have had it happen so many times it's ridicules.

Those sellers won't be able to do that too many times anymore. They will be gone.

Dear God, please help me to be
the person my dog thinks I am.
Message 24 of 40
latest reply

Auction closed June 14, 2016 and I won Item 182162304332 from Ponzo01.  eBay invoiced that day; next day - June 15 - Seller attempted to cancell by lying and claiming "non-payment"!  eBay sent the request to cancel which I "declined"  because I immediately paid before eBay's "deadline" of June 22.  PayPal then rescinded the payment!  Where do I file a complaint against the seller?  The "Contact Us" people are nothing more than a call center in the Phillipines who have no ability to do anything and no US contact.  This is an EBAY and SELLER issue so eBay needs to take care of it;.

Message 25 of 40
latest reply

@camerondelavan wrote:

Auction closed June 14, 2016 and I won Item 182162304332 from ********.  eBay invoiced that day; next day - June 15 - Seller attempted to cancell by lying and claiming "non-payment"!  eBay sent the request to cancel which I "declined"  because I immediately paid before eBay's "deadline" of June 22.  PayPal then rescinded the payment!  Where do I file a complaint against the seller?  The "Contact Us" people are nothing more than a call center in the Phillipines who have no ability to do anything and no US contact.  This is an EBAY and SELLER issue so eBay needs to take care of it;.

@camerondelavan

1st no naming on the boards allowed so I *** the sellers user ID which is not correct anyway.
2nd did you email the seller first? Paypal has been having major issues , buyers paid & Paypal kept refunding. Not sure if this is your case but just wanted to bring it up

http://www.ecommercebytes.com/C/blog/blog.pl?/pl/2016/6/1466010342.html

Today's problems come after issues were reported yesterday when PayPal was apparently processing payments and immediately refunding payments, preventing people from making a permanent purchase, as described on Ecommerce EKG.

Also this thread
http://community.ebay.com/t5/Selling/Ten-Payments-but-No-Sale-Multiple-Payment-Attempts-Reversals/m-...

Since about 8:30 this morning and for the past two hours I've received 10 payment attempts from the same buyer (through Paypal) for an item, but each time the payment gets reversed immediately.  eBay doesn't show the item as being "sold" just yet, presumably because the buyer's payment attempts are unsuccessful. 

Has anyone else experienced something like this?  I assume it's not a Paypal glitch, but rather just a problem on the buyer's end (insufficient funds in the bank account or a declined credit card)?   I logged into Paypal, and see that indeed the buyer has been attempting to make payment, but every time there's a corresponding payment reversal.

Message 26 of 40
latest reply

Ebay gives seller defects for cancelling orders. Too many defects and they boot you off. Many new sellers really have no clue because they don't read all the policy. Ebay weeds out sellers this way. Make sure you look at sellers feedback and sales numbers or positive feedback to be certain you get the item you bid on or purchase.

Dear God, please help me to be
the person my dog thinks I am.
Message 27 of 40
latest reply

Of course,  darlin,  I contacted the seller ponzo01 (@aol.com) multiple times regarding the fraudulent sale cancellation notice HE (Anthony Godfrey) initiated in the eBay site - not PayPal -  which you apparently missed.  And, why are you trying to direct to some blog you host?  Dont bother commenting again.  You must work for eBay.

Message 28 of 40
latest reply

And, northwoodstreasures, I am at a. complete loss as to how someone with ZERO feedback who has been a member for 3 weeks - since May 23, 2016 - can profess to be knowledgeable about anything on eBay.

Message 29 of 40
latest reply

It's a posting ID...

Message 30 of 40
latest reply