cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

whether any sellers won in the case the item was not as described?

Hi,
I sold the Gucci hat, the buyer opened a case about the item does not match the description. She says the size M is not true. In the description of the lot, I indicated the exact measurements of the head circumference taken from the inside of the hat. This measurement corresponds to the size M, based on the headwear sizing charts available on Google. Also my size S, the hat falls over my ears. I received a letter from Ebay, from which one thing is clear - I can lose both money and a hat. Can someone advise on how to proceed? Shipping cost $ 40. If I pay it back and forth, it breaks my heart.

Message 1 of 16
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Re: whether any sellers won in the case the item was not as described?

There is a lot of misinformation here. Pay for the return shipping and report the buyer. The buyer also has to prove that the item is not as described by showing evidence and if they cannot do that, you can provide the information to eBay to confirm that the hat is in fact a Medium and report the buyer for abusing returns. This is a proactive way of letting eBay know ahead of time to look into the specifics of the transaction and listing details, description etc. I have won multiple "item not as described" situations where buyers will change their minds about their purchase and state the reason for the return is that it's not as described. eBay looks into these cases seriously because of the impact it has on your business if the buyer is lying and abusing returns. Just because the return is approved does not mean it will happen. 

View Best Answer in original post

Message 11 of 16
latest reply
15 REPLIES 15

you will have to refund and you will have to pay for the shipping to get your hat returned to you. if you do not pay the shipping to get your hat back you will lose your hat. DO NOT  refund until you receive your hat back. unless you tell the buyer to keep it and save the money to have it shipped back to you. that will be your call

Message 2 of 16
latest reply

All buyers need do is lie and they win. All long term sellers take such hits. Just grin and move on. Sorry

Message 3 of 16
latest reply

You will NEVER win "not as described" case.   Allows customer to claim anything and they do NOT need any proof.

If you do NOT approve refund....EBAY will do it for you (and tell customer to keep the hat).   You would be given a "penalty" (for not obeying rules).

Welcome to EBAY!

Message 4 of 16
latest reply

i check out the buying boards and they say the same thing about us sellers lying.  people will tell lies when the the truth would sound better.  its just human nature at its lowest.

Message 5 of 16
latest reply

@kooky_on_fashion wrote:

Can someone advise on how to proceed?

If you want the hat back before refunding, accept the return and have Ebay send them a return shipping label.

If you don't, Ebay could refund the buyer from your account and let them keep the hat.

Have a great day.
Message 6 of 16
latest reply

If you checked the box to allow returns you have to do it I think. 

I have no returns checked but decide returns based on case.   If you can prove the buyer is lying you can win.  Usually with pictures and a good description.  Like if you wrote the size and that size is what ebay says is a medium, that is the buyer's fault. 

Sometimes buyers are fishing for discounts and just go away if you refuse to partially refund and explain as you did here too. 

Message 7 of 16
latest reply

I'll think you will find that your No Returns policy will not protect you in a SNAD , Damaged, or Fake item item case.

It will allow you to decide how to handle Buyers Remorse case, but not the others. 

Shipping costs is one of the main reasons I do not sell internationally.  If the item is lost, damaged, or receives a SNAD the financial risks simply become too high.

Message 9 of 16
latest reply

the buyer opened a case about the item does not match the description

This is ebay.  As soon as your buyer chose that reason, your description no longer matters.  It will not be considered in any dispute, nor will your photos, or return policy.  The "does not match the description" becomes the TRUTH as far as this marketplace is concerned and you have to  go along with the program to accept the return, supply a shipping label (or send money if international) for a return or risk losing the item as well. 

Message 10 of 16
latest reply

There is a lot of misinformation here. Pay for the return shipping and report the buyer. The buyer also has to prove that the item is not as described by showing evidence and if they cannot do that, you can provide the information to eBay to confirm that the hat is in fact a Medium and report the buyer for abusing returns. This is a proactive way of letting eBay know ahead of time to look into the specifics of the transaction and listing details, description etc. I have won multiple "item not as described" situations where buyers will change their minds about their purchase and state the reason for the return is that it's not as described. eBay looks into these cases seriously because of the impact it has on your business if the buyer is lying and abusing returns. Just because the return is approved does not mean it will happen. 

Message 11 of 16
latest reply

Thank you for support! I still hope and will continue to fight. The example of those who have won in similar situations is inspiring.

Message 12 of 16
latest reply

The buyer also has to prove that the item is not as described by showing evidence..

No they do not. 

you can provide the information to eBay to confirm that the hat is in fact a Medium 

Not any more.  eBay USED TO consider a seller's information.  Those days are apparently over. 

Message 13 of 16
latest reply

@kooky_on_fashion wrote:

Thank you for support! I still hope and will continue to fight. The example of those who have won in similar situations is inspiring.

Don't get too inspired ..........

Message 14 of 16
latest reply

"eBay looks into these cases seriously because of the impact it has on your business if the buyer is lying and abusing returns"

They very rarely do, if at all.  eBay is well-known for stonewalling and ignoring their own stated policies.  You seem to have a relatively idyllic experience with eBay support which is not the norm by any means.

@kooky_on_fashion 

" based on the headwear sizing charts available on Google"

Did you use Gucci's actual sizing charts?  Or just random charts you found?

Message 15 of 16
latest reply