cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

where did all the customers go and why - you tell me?

want to hear your take on it, go

Message 1 of 86
latest reply
85 REPLIES 85

Re: where did all the customers go and why - you tell me?

As the world of online retail grew, online buyers moved out to fill all the spaces, so to speak.

Think of a group of people given one room to occupy.   And then another room is opened to them, and then another.   They are able to spread out into three rooms, all offering them a reason to walk around and take a look at everything the three rooms have to offer.

And then a fourth and fifth and sixth room is opened to the group, and it really becomes interesting and fruitful for them to explore all those rooms and see what they find, and then more and more people want to come in and look around too.

And picture that happening on and on and on, spreading out beyond as far as the eye can see, with more and more and more people joining the group!

That original first room is really sharing the looks and interest of the masses with a whole world of other possible rooms for them to enjoy.

Ebay is no longer the only little room, and the buyers have spread out to shop all over the place.   These days, you only hope to catch their eyes, and if you do... you want to entice them with the best listings so they don't move on somewhere else.  

We read complaints here all the time about what eBay is doing to try to bring buyers to look over that first little room, and we read about the importance of listing correctly to be seen.  

Message 16 of 86
latest reply

i can tell you about my last online purchase. i was looking for a cuisinart slow cooker psc 350 NEW. i started with a google search. that gave me some options. i then came to ebay and did a search. ebays system said their top pick was 72.99. that weird product display thing. but there were many more listed for around 59.99 with free shipping. as to why ebays top pick was 72.99 i have no clue but i left fast. then went to amaz.. found it but not as low a price. then went to wal...and found it for 58.99 with  free 2 day shipping with free returns.  ordered it from wal... and got it next day. amazing new in box got next day. wow. i cant say enough. i feel very confident buying there, not very much buying here. 

its sad because i used to buy everything here. but thats when i could sell something here too. 

sorry ebay. 

Message 17 of 86
latest reply

@percgrabbe-0wrote:

If the buyer wants refund they have to take delivery on the item and return it. I wouldnt suggest handling it any other way.  

So I wouldnt refund until they return it. Worse they can do is file a SNAD. 

Again, having the buyer ship the item back voids the insurance the seller purchased to protect himself in cases just like this.  No carrier is going to pay out after it's sent back.  None.  Granted most of them are reluctant to honor claims especially for this large an amount.  But the chances are about 50/50 that they will take responsibility since it sounds like they did in fact damage it.

So why reduce the chance of getting the money back to zero?

Joe

Message 18 of 86
latest reply

I think the Tepco stuff that brings in the most money is the stuff that has old restaurant logos.

Message 19 of 86
latest reply

@lloydsteventaylorwrote:

i can tell you about my last online purchase. i was looking for a cuisinart slow cooker psc 350 NEW. i started with a google search. that gave me some options. i then came to ebay and did a search. ebays system said their top pick was 72.99. that weird product display thing. but there were many more listed for around 59.99 with free shipping. as to why ebays top pick was 72.99 i have no clue but i left fast. then went to amaz.. found it but not as low a price. then went to wal...and found it for 58.99 with  free 2 day shipping with free returns. 

This story illustrates eBay's point exactly.   People are wondering about eBay's current efforts/suggestions to get people to lower their prices.   Many sellers resist, as is their right!

But your story perfectly portrays how many people shop (who has the lowest price for what I want?) and what happens when the buyer finds his desired item AT that lowest price (he buys).....  

We read regularly on the discussion board some seller reactions to eBay's attempts, new policies and/or requirements as well as the "my sales are tanking" posts.   And it's sad, and it's hard, but our truth is about the same as it was years ago in our B & M shops, and it is that price point is of interest to buyers and is a major driving force in successful competition.  

Message 20 of 86
latest reply

Well because if Fedex deny the claim the seller has to refund $1400 and lose his item too?

Message 21 of 86
latest reply

EBay USED to be the first site I went to for everything
Patricia
eBay member for 25 years
Message 22 of 86
latest reply

@mistwomandancingwrote:

@lloydsteventaylorwrote:

i can tell you about my last online purchase. i was looking for a cuisinart slow cooker psc 350 NEW. i started with a google search. that gave me some options. i then came to ebay and did a search. ebays system said their top pick was 72.99. that weird product display thing. but there were many more listed for around 59.99 with free shipping. as to why ebays top pick was 72.99 i have no clue but i left fast. then went to amaz.. found it but not as low a price. then went to wal...and found it for 58.99 with  free 2 day shipping with free returns. 

This story illustrates eBay's point exactly.   People are wondering about eBay's current efforts/suggestions to get people to lower their prices.   Many sellers resist, as is their right!

But your story perfectly portrays how many people shop (who has the lowest price for what I want?) and what happens when the buyer finds his desired item AT that lowest price (he buys).....  

We read regularly on the discussion board some seller reactions to eBay's attempts, new policies and/or requirements as well as the "my sales are tanking" posts.   And it's sad, and it's hard, but our truth is about the same as it was years ago in our B & M shops, and it is that price point is of interest to buyers and is a major driving force in successful competition.  

But that is the whole problem.....If I want to buy deparment store items at department store prices - I will go to the department store.  I would never think to go to ebay for that, unless it is a narrowly marketed hard to find item.  Rare, not common items are what should do well here.

ebay has attempted to convert itself into a department store mall, and that is something that big box can afford, but small sellers can not get the merchandise at the prices that big box can.   Small sellers can not afford to cut their prices and compete with big box if they are paying as.  So they either have to give up the NIB segment of their business and find something else to sell or just accept the realities of ebay.

If all ebay has to offer is the common stuff that buyers can find anywhere else, there is very little to bring an honest buyer to ebay.

(*Bleep*)
Message 23 of 86
latest reply

the question is, does the % of sales match the number of offered items.   

There is no question that the volume of buying has not kept pace with the number of listings. But the level of buying is growing; so that means that "all the buyers" have not gone. They have just changed. 

And most of it is the same merchandise.

That is also true for vintage sellers. My favorite music artist has about 6,000 items when I search.  The vast majority of them are the same items from the same sellers that were here two years ago. One record I regularly search for has only I copy on eBay - it is a $5 record with writing on the label that has been listed by the same seller continuously for 5 years. 

Search is one of the top 3 reasons buyers are leaving.

IMHO the top reason peopel are leaving is because the marketpalce has fundamentally changed, especially for "vintage" and "used" and "collectible" (however you define those). 

In the early days, eBay was like the California gold rush. It started with a trickle and grew to a torrent as eBay "prospectors" staked out their claims, rummaging through attics, basements, thrift stores, and garage sales looking for something they could flip. 

But now, 20 years later, there are no more wagon trains bringing new prospectors.  The attics and pawn shops are mostly depleted, with only the occasional nugget turning up.  Every record store owner I know - and I know quite a few - sells his best stuff on eBay, not to prospectors digging in the bins. They just get the tailings. 

eBay is now ubiquitous, and has infiltrated every collector niche out there. There is no frontier left, so the only ones getting the steady gold these days are just doing math calculations based on surveys. 

IMHO "search" is not the primary issue, and it pales when compared to the fundamental change in the landscape. 

Message 24 of 86
latest reply

@luckythewinnerwrote:

the question is, does the % of sales match the number of offered items.   

There is no question that the volume of buying has not kept pace with the number of listings. But the level of buying is growing; so that means that "all the buyers" have not gone. They have just changed. 

And most of it is the same merchandise.

That is also true for vintage sellers. My favorite music artist has about 6,000 items when I search.  The vast majority of them are the same items from the same sellers that were here two years ago. One record I regularly search for has only I copy on eBay - it is a $5 record with writing on the label that has been listed by the same seller continuously for 5 years. 

Search is one of the top 3 reasons buyers are leaving.

IMHO the top reason peopel are leaving is because the marketpalce has fundamentally changed, especially for "vintage" and "used" and "collectible" (however you define those). 

In the early days, eBay was like the California gold rush. It started with a trickle and grew to a torrent as eBay "prospectors" staked out their claims, rummaging through attics, basements, thrift stores, and garage sales looking for something they could flip. 

But now, 20 years later, there are no more wagon trains bringing new prospectors.  The attics and pawn shops are mostly depleted, with only the occasional nugget turning up.  Every record store owner I know - and I know quite a few - sells his best stuff on eBay, not to prospectors digging in the bins. They just get the tailings. 

eBay is now ubiquitous, and has infiltrated every collector niche out there. There is no frontier left, so the only ones getting the steady gold these days are just doing math calculations based on surveys. 

IMHO "search" is not the primary issue, and it pales when compared to the fundamental change in the landscape. 

As far as seeing the same merchandise when you search for your favorite rtist - could it be that it isn't the same merchandise - but that there isn't any more merchandise for you to buy that is the problem.  If there is a limited quantity of merchandise and there are buyers for it,  it makes sense to keep it available until someone buys it.  If I want to buy all the appearances of my favorite actor, eventually I am going to run out of media to buy.

But when I say search is the problem - it is the manipulated search results that ebay presents buyers that may be driving them off ebay eventually. 

I have put in the name of a tv show and ebay shows me very few - even when a search days later shows me thousands.  And mixed in with the few are hundreds of other titles that do not even include all of the nouns in the title.

Now the new catalog set up might help - but having failed to be able to list using catalog 10 times more than succeeded, I don't have much faith that ebay will be capable of getting it right.

And when a buyer is searching for a vintage item using 4 keywords - ebay should not be showing buyers tons of new garbage whose title only contains maybe 2 keywords.  If a buyer gets those results 19 times out of 20, they are going to give up and put ebay farther and farther behind in their quest for exciting stuff to add to their collections.

(*Bleep*)
Message 25 of 86
latest reply

January 2018 sales up 62% over January 2017
February 2018 sales up 82% over January 2017

March is on a pace to better last march 2017 by 30-40% at this time

I retired from working full time last May. So I have more time to sit in front of the computer
and make new listings, Cull out the dead listings, and monitor the listings that are running. I'm sure that has a large bearing on my sales.

I watch what my competition is doing and believe me, There are way more sellers today than there were when I started selling on EBAY in 2000

I read what EBAY recommends I do and I take what they say seriously. I think about it without dismissing it out of hand.

Back when EBAY wanted me to take PayPal, I listened and have never for one second regretted that decision. I've NEVER had a Paypal issue, Never.

When ebay wanted me to offer free shipping? I did that.

When ebay wanted me to sell to international buyers? I did that.

When ebay wanted me to offer returns? I did that.

When ebay wanted me to pay for returns? I did that. I don't get returns, So why not offer to accept them?

When ebay wanted me to offer 60 day free returns? I did that. See above, I don't get returns.

NONE of those things has hurt my ebay sales.

Now I sell vintage stamps. Once in a while I'll offer other items I've taken on a consignment, But stamps are my bread and butter.

Very competitive, Many sellers offering the same stuff.

I suppose if I were selling bread makers or Electronics my outlook would be different.
Message 26 of 86
latest reply

@retrose1wrote:

But that is the whole problem.....If I want to buy deparment store items at department store prices - I will go to the department store.  I would never think to go to ebay for that, unless it is a narrowly marketed hard to find item.  Rare, not common items are what should do well here.

ebay has attempted to convert itself into a department store mall, and that is something that big box can afford, but small sellers can not get the merchandise at the prices that big box can.   Small sellers can not afford to cut their prices and compete with big box if they are paying as.  So they either have to give up the NIB segment of their business and find something else to sell or just accept the realities of ebay.

I think that was his point, about the department store prices.   He didn't want to pay department store prices, so he shopped around to see where he could buy the new item, at the best price.   He found it at WalMart.  

And smaller sellers having trouble competing with larger retailers who can buy quantity at lower wholesale prices has been the sad story forever, as true now online as it previously was in real B & M retail business.   As we've always said here, over and over, you have to be able to acquire inventory at a good and low price in order to sell it well and still profit.   It isn't easy.   But the story isn't a new one.

I think especially with new merchandise, overall price is a strong, strong motivator for a buyer to make his purchase one place over another.   Dealing in pre-owned and OOAK, condition and appearance then weigh in strongly and can sometimes/often enough override price alone.   But right now, eBay seems to be fiddling with the *new* segment of this market platform.

Message 27 of 86
latest reply

I have said repeatedly that for ebay to grow and better serve it's customers is to divide and segregate new merchandise from the used/vintage/antique/ooak merchandise.

I will never look for new merchandise on ebay and get pretty tired of seeing it when I search for something 40 years old. Since there are other sites specializing in older merchandise and then there are specialized FB groups selling, ebay is going to lose that buyer share and the new stuff is not enough to draw buyers away from places like Amazon or dept store sites.

And yes, I remember ebay express and remember that ebay did less advertising and promotion for it than they are doing for their site now.  But hey, if express was a failure, why did ebay specnd years trying to convert their site over to it anyway. 

(*Bleep*)
Message 28 of 86
latest reply

Funny because I no longer see any of the best stuff here. It just doesn't realize anywhere near it's value. All I see are tons and tons of random overproduced trinkets.

The vintage and collectibles market seems to have moved on.  eBay is page after page of oyster cocktail glasses marketed to a buyer that doesn't even know what an oyster cocktail is.

"Believe in something, even if it means sacrificing everything" Colin Kaepernick the new face of NIKE
Message 29 of 86
latest reply

I'm another seller who would love to see this overlap dealt with somehow more easily than it is right now.   Yes, I know you can click the USED option when searching, and that should pretty much be all anyone needs to separate all the mass into two piles, but in reality...  it doesn't seem to work as well as it should that way.   Although, I guess if I was searching for some dinnerware pattern that was still being manufactured, it would be a hassle to have to run a search under new and than another separate search under used in order to view everything listed.  

Message 30 of 86
latest reply