cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

what photo app do you use?

I have a mac and have been using Picassa for years.  Not sure that is is going to be available much longer.  I may have to switch to something else (hate learning how to do things again!).

I see that there is google pictures or something like that.

Adobe app for sale for $99 and some others -

What works for you all to store and edit pictures?

Thank you.

Message 1 of 19
latest reply
18 REPLIES 18

@fairmargo

None, I use a 1990's Sony Mavica.

No need to do any photo editing.

It's old school, but a dang good camera.

Message 2 of 19
latest reply

@fairmargowrote:

I have a mac and have been using Picassa for years.  Not sure that is is going to be available much longer.  I may have to switch to something else (hate learning how to do things again!).

I see that there is google pictures or something like that.

Adobe app for sale for $99 and some others -

Thank you.

I am a photography nut/junkie. So because of that affliction I purchase both new equipment as well as different software packages, just for sake of trying them out and playing with them.

With that said for a basic nuts and bolts photo editing software package I highly recommend:

Pixby's Photo Prep

http://pixby.com/

It is a very easy to use photo editing software package that is set up and geared specifically for online sellers.

Pixby offers a 30 day free trial, and then a ONE time purchase fee of $29.95, with no other recurring service fees or subscription fees. That is a big plus.

I also use other software suites like Shutter Stream Product Photography and 360 Product Photography Software by Iconasays as well as TruView 360/3D Image Stitching Software by Ortery, but unlike Photo Prep by Pixby these two photo editing software packages have considerably higher entry price points, as well as recurring subscription fees.

Pixby's Photo Prep has a very short learning curve. Once I became proficent with using it, I was able to edit 12 photos in about 4 minutes on average that were ready to be used for a listing. It does have some limitations/cons, like no batch editing features, no back ground removal tools, no photo stitching capabilities, BUT it only cost $30.00. You should check it out. Its free to try. I promise that you will not be disappointed.

Message 3 of 19
latest reply

@fairmargo

I use SnagIt.   Technically, it's billed as "Screen Capture Software" because it does make it very easy to grab/edit shots of anything you may see on your screen from any source, but it also gives you the ability to edit, correct, crop, manipulate, etc. photos or other visual media you've captured or imported.  I just store the final images in a folder or series of folders on my computer and upload to eBay as needed.

It's pretty intuitive -- didn't take me long to figure it out.  It works on either a Mac or PC.  It's also only $50 and they have a Free Trial so you can take it for a spin and see what you think.   More info here: https://www.techsmith.com/screen-capture.html

Message 4 of 19
latest reply

I use windows 10 operating system, it comes with all the photo programs I need.
Message 5 of 19
latest reply

Adobe Photoshop... an old version, but it does what I want, runs great on my Windows 7 box, and I’m familiar with it. I’m no expert by any stretch of the imagination.

I'm ̶p̶r̶e̶t̶t̶y̶ ̶s̶u̶r̶e̶ certain the lunatics have taken over the asylum.
Message 6 of 19
latest reply

Corel for photo's, silverfast as my scanner software

Message 7 of 19
latest reply

I use an old Kodak digital for shooting and Irfanview for editing photos of clothes and dishes. I scan books with my HP Envy printer scanner, and if they don"t scan perfectly, I edit them with Irfanview.

Message 8 of 19
latest reply

Another vote for Irfanview. Was pretty easy to learn. I'm pretty fast with it now, and it's free.

I have an older, relatively inexpensive Nikon Coolpix that still works just fine. I think it cost about $120 new and I've been using it for 5+ years now.

Déjà Moo: The strange feeling that I've heard this bull before...
Message 9 of 19
latest reply

I was going to mention Irfanview as well as it is free. I don't use it all the time as I also use

a very old version of Corel Paint Shop Pro. 

Message 10 of 19
latest reply

It looks like the web albums support ends on May 1 but shouldn't you still be able to use the editing part of the program yourself?

Message 11 of 19
latest reply

thank you all for the replies.  I am not sure what the problem was.  I couldn't upload some photos to Inkfrog and they never could figure out what the problem was. 

I had never used the Ebay listing tool, but decided to try it.  The same photos uploaded with no problem.

I had read that Picasa was discontinued a while ago, so I thought maybe that was the problem.

I guess I will keep using it as long as it works, but have made note of the helpful suggestions.

Message 12 of 19
latest reply

looks great - but not for a mac.

Message 13 of 19
latest reply

@fairmargowrote:

Photoshop 5.5 - purchased in the summer of 1999 for a Windows 97 machine and still going strong in Windows 7. 

Message 14 of 19
latest reply

@fairmargowrote:

looks great - but not for a mac.

OOPS! Sorry about that. I had never even noticed that Photo Prep is a Windows PC exclusive program. I suppose that is because all of my computers are Windows PCs. Go figure.

That is a shame though. As I stated earlier in this thread the developers that created Photo Prep created this photo editing software specifically for online sellers. It is designed and built for speed. Which is the key feature that I was looking for at the time.

I edited photos for almost 3 years using Adobe Photoshop, which is a great program. I am still using the latest version of it to this day, for other things, but not for editing product photography. Photoshop has a ton of bells and whistles, which is fantastic but all of those features make it really slow and very clunky. Even after I became proficient using Photoshop it would still take anywhere from 1 to 3 minutes to edit each photo, depending on what I was tring to accomplish. If you are utilizing all of eBay's allowable 12 photos per listing, then this can equate to 12 to 36 minutes per listing just to edit. In the beginning I was OK with that but by the end of the second year and tens of thousands of edited photos under my belt that had become WAY TO SLOW for my tastes, and began looking for software that could produce the same results but speed up the process considerably.  .

Editing with Photo Prep QuickStep Feature = 10 seconds per photo

Using QuickStep I only need to perform 2 steps to edit each photo:

1. CROP - Creates the "Perfect Square" every time. Important for search result pages.

2. Quick Step - Its a button with all of your settings that are preset by you and applies those settings to each and every photo with the click of one button.

QuickStep applies steps 1 through 6 all at the same time.

1. Contrast
  2. Exposure (Brightness, Gama, etc.)
  3. Color Balance (Saturation, Temperature, etc.)
  4. Resize – to eBay recommended size 1600 pixels x 1600 pixels
  5. Sharpen
  6. Add Text or Watermark - If desired.

Total :  3 mouse clicks and about 10 seconds per image

If you continue to shop for a Mac compatible photo editing software suite, I strongly recommend that you look for companies that offer a free trial period, so that you get an opportunity to play with it for a short while before you spend any sum of money. That way you can determine if it has all of the features that you need and want, but not bloated and overloaded with features that you are never going to use. That's my 2 cents.

Message 15 of 19
latest reply