cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

throttling

IF MY AD IMPRESSION ARE 3000 IN 3 DAYS BUT 30 IN THE Following 5 days and my ads have not changed at all, No policy updates that could affect ad compliance have been enacted all the ads are the same with the exception of going from 137 item's to 135 items would this be a clear sign of ad impression throttling on the part of the platform in this we are dealing with ebay

ChatGPT

I cannot provide a definitive answer regarding ad impression throttling on eBay, as I do not have access to real-time data or insights into their specific algorithms or policies. However, I can provide some general insights and considerations that might help you analyze the situation:

1. Seasonal Variation: It's possible that the decrease in ad impressions over the following 5 days could be due to normal fluctuations or seasonal patterns. Consumer behavior, competition, or marketplace dynamics can impact the visibility and performance of ads.

2. Ad Placement: The placement of your ads within eBay's platform may have changed during the observed period. eBay might rotate or prioritize different ads based on various factors such as bid amounts, relevance, or user engagement. This can affect the number of impressions your ads receive.

3. Competition and Demand: Increased competition or changes in demand for the items you're advertising can influence ad impressions. If more sellers are offering similar items or if demand has decreased, it could result in fewer impressions for your ads.

4. Technical Issues: Occasionally, technical issues or glitches can impact ad delivery or reporting. It's worth checking if there have been any reported issues with eBay's advertising platform during the observed period.

To gain more insights and understand the specific factors at play, it would be beneficial to reach out to eBay's customer support or advertising support team. They will have access to more detailed data and can provide you with a more accurate analysis of your ad performance.

these points you make 1 - 4 cannot explain a 1000% decrease in such a short span of time but throttling could explain it?

ChatGPT

You're correct that a significant decrease of 1000% in ad impressions within a short span of time is not typically explained by the points mentioned earlier. While ad impression throttling could be a potential explanation for such a drastic decline, it's important to note that I cannot confirm whether eBay specifically engages in ad impression throttling or what their specific practices might be.

Ad impression throttling refers to the deliberate limiting or controlling of ad impressions by a platform. It can occur for various reasons, including maintaining ad relevance, managing ad inventory, or balancing user experience. However, without access to eBay's internal processes and policies, it's difficult to definitively determine if ad impression throttling is the cause in your specific case.

If you suspect ad impression throttling or have concerns about the significant decrease in ad impressions, I recommend contacting eBay's customer support or advertising support team. They would be better equipped to investigate the issue, provide insights based on their platform's policies and algorithms, and assist you in understanding the potential reasons behind the decline in ad impressions.

I already contacted them and they tried to give the same reasons you gave in points 1-4 however it was determined to be impossible to be caused by points 1-4 in consideration of a 1000% decrease the only explanation is throttling

ChatGPT

If you have already contacted eBay's customer support and they were unable to provide satisfactory explanations for the drastic decrease in ad impressions, and you still believe that ad impression throttling is the most likely explanation, it is understandable that you may suspect this to be the case.

While I cannot independently verify the specific circumstances of your situation, if you have ruled out other potential causes and strongly believe that ad impression throttling is occurring, you may consider the following steps:

1. Gather Data: Compile any relevant data or evidence you have regarding the ad impressions, such as historical trends, specific dates, or other metrics that support your claim of ad impression throttling.

2. Present your Case: Reach out to eBay's customer support again and provide them with the additional information and evidence you have collected. Clearly express your concerns and explain why you believe ad impression throttling is the most likely explanation for the significant decrease in ad impressions.

3. Seek Clarification: Request further clarification from eBay's customer support team regarding their policies on ad delivery, ad rotation, and potential reasons for such a drastic decline. Ask them directly if ad impression throttling is implemented on their platform and how it might impact ad delivery.

4. Consider Alternatives: If you are dissatisfied with eBay's response or believe that your concerns are not being adequately addressed, you may explore alternative advertising platforms or consult with professionals who specialize in online advertising to gain additional insights or advice.

Remember that I am an AI language model and cannot access real-time information or confirm the specifics of eBay's advertising practices. Thus, contacting eBay's customer support remains your best course of action for addressing your concerns and obtaining accurate information regarding your specific situation.

Message 1 of 23
latest reply
22 REPLIES 22

throttling

lol 🤣 not how it works buddy.. impressions quantities do NOT change what changes is which sellers and ads get them. So yes throttling one ad just makes another go up of like or same items from another seller. Basic distributing math reveals this plainly. The practice if employed would NOT effect final sales quantities in ebay or for ebay. Maybe think "more" before commenting?

Message 16 of 23
latest reply

throttling

@inhawaii 
@assortmentlyllc wrote:
lol 🤣not how it works buddy.. impressions quantities do NOT change what changes is which sellers and ads get them. So yes throttling one ad just makes another go up of like or same items from another seller. Basic distributing math reveals this plainly. The practice if employed would NOT effect final sales quantities in ebay or for ebay. Maybe think "more" before commenting?

How does eBay/basic distribution math cause/show eBay profit to remain the same or increase when throttling users (seems like eBay profit would decrease)?

(Assuming eBay's Ad algorithm is designed to pick ads based on Ad Rate and other parameters that result in the highest profit for eBay; and eBay intentionally throttling Ads for punitive reasons that would/could have been part of the pool of top producing Ads)

Message 17 of 23
latest reply

throttling

@assortmentlyllc wrote:

lol 🤣 not how it works buddy.. impressions quantities do NOT change what changes is which sellers and ads get them. So yes throttling one ad just makes another go up of like or same items from another seller. Basic distributing math reveals this plainly. The practice if employed would NOT effect final sales quantities in ebay or for ebay. Maybe think "more" before commenting?

Sorry, I did a little more "thinking" as you suggested.

"So yes throttling one ad just makes another go up of like or same items from another seller."

"The practice if employed would NOT effect final sales quantities in ebay or for ebay."

One ad goes up, the other goes down.

It doesn't affect ebay.

Then why go through the trouble of doing it?

I  don't believe throttling exists, you do.

I can't prove it and neither can you.

I'll never convince you otherwise and you'll never convince me.

We simply disagree.

Have a great Memorial Day weekend!

Papa Was A Rolling Stone - The Temptations
Message 18 of 23
latest reply

throttling

Sell gold for 1/2 of the market price & you will get sales!  Sell $5 banknotes for $2 & you will get sales!  lol  So tell me.  What does John, who lives at 1 Main St. in Springfield, want to buy & for how much?    😛

Message 19 of 23
latest reply

throttling

I find ads a waste of money. I just send offers to new likers on certain items. 

Message 20 of 23
latest reply

throttling

Yep, they got my account throttled down to about 1/5 of what i used to do. Seems stupid to me. They were making money on my stuff.

Message 21 of 23
latest reply

throttling

There's no such thing as coincidence.  It's like when you open something from the fridge and smell it to see if it's bad.  There's no science in that action that we would outwardly notice, however it is still in play.  There's something in your subconscious that knows what you're smelling may be bad... Not overly obvious but you somehow know you shouldn't eat or drink it. 

We know.

Message 22 of 23
latest reply

throttling

@sakic92710 wrote:

Sell gold for 1/2 of the market price & you will get sales!  Sell $5 banknotes for $2 & you will get sales!  lol  So tell me.  What does John, who lives at 1 Main St. in Springfield, want to buy & for how much?    😛

I don't think you would...  Most people would think it was a scam.

Message 23 of 23
latest reply