cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

starting up ebay

Hi everyone, my name is Mariam and i want to start selling products on Ebay but have no experience on how to go about it, i will be grateful if someone can guide/give me tips on the do's and dont's please thank you.

Message 1 of 7
latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

starting up ebay

@msecka00 wrote:

Hi everyone, my name is Mariam and i want to start selling products on Ebay but have no experience on how to go about it, i will be grateful if someone can guide/give me tips on the do's and dont's please thank you.

Well, after reading ALL of the ebay policies, rules, regs, as well as the User Agreement AND Terms of Service - and understanding them to the best of your ability - ALWAYS remember to come to the boards FIRST to ask what questions you may then have.

You may not always like the answers, or they may not be what you expect, but you will get more reliable info than any place else.

Good Luck!

Not saying 'NO' doesn't mean 'YES'.

The foolishness of one's actions or words is determined by the number of witnesses.

Perhaps if Brains were described as an APP, many people would use them more often.

Respect, like money, is only of 'worth' when it is earned - with all due respect, it can not be ordained, legislated or coerced. Anonymous
Message 2 of 7
latest reply

starting up ebay

@msecka00 wrote:

IMHO success or failure on eBay depends almost entirely on what you are selling and how much you are selling it for. In other words, doing research and having a plan.

Do you know what you want to sell? Do you know how competition you have on eBay (and elsewhere)? Do you know what your profit margin will be? Does your plan include an allowance for returns, fraud, and damage? If a competitor comes along and undercuts your prices, do you have a plan for how to deal with your inventory and/or changing product lines?

Message 3 of 7
latest reply

starting up ebay

Congrats on your decision!  I hope you have great success.

Just a couple pointers for the new seller

• You will have limits on how many items and total dollar amount for those items for short time frame (90 days I think?).  This is to ensure you are handling your business according to the user agreement you agree to when you started selling.
  • Additionally you might have holds on your funds for up to 21 days to ensure delivery is happening and buyers are satisfied.  These holds will go away in time as you prove your actions.
  • Without an eBay store you will have 50 free insertions per month ( your selling limits might be lower than this at first).  Do not get a store while you are on these small limits.
  • Start out by selling extra stuff around your house until you get the hang of the entire process.  Stay away from higher priced items until you get completely comfortable with everything.

You want get familiar with some of the eBay policies that can come up with each transaction.  You might know them as a buyer but they are different for sellers.  Here are a few links that might be helpful.

2019 Spring Seller Update  -  Click Here      eBay Seller Center  -  Click Here

Money Back Guarantee  -  Click Here       eBay Seller Protection  -  Click Here

How to sell on eBay  -  Click Here            Best listing Practices  -  Click Here               

eBay Managed Payments  -  Click Here       eBay Return Requests  -  Click Here

eBay User Agreement  -  Click Here

Good Luck Selling!

Message 4 of 7
latest reply

starting up ebay

Before you become a business, just sell what you have around the house that you no longer need.  That way you learn how to set up listings, print labels, ship items, manage payments, do research, etc. without getting stuck with a bunch of inventory and without paying any money up front.  There are a few rules and processes you will need to learn so learn before you earn.

Message 5 of 7
latest reply

starting up ebay

Hi Mariam one tip be careful with your shipping policy make sure you block certain countries because some of them will scam new sellers. I recommend starting with $10-$60 items at start and build your feedback. Learn the platform use seller HUB. Do clear photos of your products. Don't use caps in titles, make sure your spelling is correct. Factor in your cost so that your making profit. Keep listing something every day the bigger size store you have in the long run the more chance of sales. Know your competition. Know that new sellers can get payment holds on sales till they have gained trust with eBay and PayPal. Read all threads about known scams on here. If you want someone to help advise you then send me a direct message, I will glad check your listings and advise further.

Message 6 of 7
latest reply

starting up ebay

@msecka00 wrote:

Mariam as another poster already said selling "successfully" on eBay really depends on the products you are offering and how much you can sell them for. What do you plan on selling and what kind of pricing can you offer?

Good luck to ALL the small sellers out there!
Message 7 of 7
latest reply