cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

someone got into my ebay sellers account and used my on file credit card

Hello--- I went to check my credit card purchases on line and found a charge that I did not make.  It shows up as an ebay purchase  from an ebay seller and the purchase was made through  my seller account and uses  my on file seller credit card to charge me over $ 300.00. I have lifelock but that did not catch this I guess because it went through as an ebay purchase. How can I notify ebay that someone got into my ebay account and used my online credit card ? Needless to say that card has been voided.  I am now concerned about having my checking account and credit card on file  here. 

Message 1 of 11
latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

Re: someone got into my ebay sellers account and used my on file credit card

SCARY.  Following. 

Message 2 of 11
latest reply

@boscobosco22 wrote:

Hello--- I went to check my credit card purchases on line and found a charge that I did not make.  It shows up as an ebay purchase  from an ebay seller and the purchase was made through  my seller account and uses  my on file seller credit card to charge me over $ 300.00. I have lifelock but that did not catch this I guess because it went through as an ebay purchase. How can I notify ebay that someone got into my ebay account and used my online credit card ? Needless to say that card has been voided.  I am now concerned about having my checking account and credit card on file  here. 

Make sure you change your password immediately. 

Account hijacking like this is almost always due to being phished and making a mistake by accidentally giving away your password.

Message 3 of 11
latest reply

eBay doesn't employ people who can grasp complex problems, as that would cost too much and the CEO's putting in a pool. You'll have to dispute the charge with your credit card issuer.

Message 4 of 11
latest reply

On your ebay page click "account" and then on your account page repace the old credit card with a new one.

Message 5 of 11
latest reply

@boscobosco22 wrote:

https://www.ebay.com/help/account/protecting-account/get-help-hacked-account?id=4196

From what you posted it's not clear that your eBay account has been hacked, it's just as likely that your credit card has been compromised and there are dozens of ways that could happen that have nothing to do with eBay.

If someone had access to your eBay account and bought something you would have either received notification when they made the purchase OR your email address on eBay would have been changed (this would also trigger a notification to the previous email address).

Message 6 of 11
latest reply

Go to MY EBAY and look at purchases.  Do you see any purchases there that you did not do? What was the item (s)?  IS it possible that your kid or spouse made the purchase?  Anyway, report this to your credit card company. Get a new account #.  Change your ebay password, paypal, email and device passwords.  NONE of these should be the same.

Do you share a computer at work and possibly left the ebay page on and a co-worker bought something?  They might have had the item shipped elsewhere?   Maybe your spam blocker blocked the ebay notifications.

Message 7 of 11
latest reply

Hi @boscobosco22 

You have not used that credit card anywhere else?  There is no way to tell HOW a credit card has been compromised ... even if it was during use for an online or a local purchase.  I strongly doubt that it was compromised merely by being on file in an eBay account.  [A stranger would not likely use a card they accessed illegally on eBay to buy something on eBay.  Someone you know is more likely to do that.]

You notify eBay through their Security Center (link at bottom of screen).  

You notify your credit card company to cancel the card and be issued a new one.

Message 8 of 11
latest reply

That would require someone to breach your account.  Someone got ahold of your password.  Hopefully you have changed that.

As to your Credit Card.  No one would have been able to see that information as it is encrypted.  You can't even see your full CC info.  Ebay security doesn't allow it.  

So it is likely that the purchase was done by someone you know that either saw you type in your password or got it by other means.

For your own sanity, go and look at your bank account info and the such on your account.  You will find out you can't see the full information on ANY financial record like that.  Ebay has it encrypted, even from the seller.

Your problem is highly likely whomever got ahold of your password, so I encourage you to change it immediately and be more cautious as to who you share it with or who sees you type it in.

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 9 of 11
latest reply

@tools* wrote:

eBay doesn't employ people who can grasp complex problems, as that would cost too much and the CEO's putting in a pool. You'll have to dispute the charge with your credit card issuer.

That is a ridiculous statement.

The OP's problem is not likely a result of ANYTHING Ebay did or didn't do.

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 10 of 11
latest reply

@tools* wrote:

That is how it is always suppose to be done. As far as if anyone hacked the OP's account, they need to change the password, notify Ebay, and change credit card on file in their settings. There is not much of anything else Ebay needs to do other than possibly eliminate the hacker.

Message 11 of 11
latest reply