cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

shipping overage?

I have some vintage dinner plates listed for sale individually. Today someone bought 5 of them [yay!], but they didn't wait for an invoice with combined shipping, which I mentioned in my listing that I would be willing to provide.

They are located in the same state and shipping is going to cost me $30 less than what they paid. I feel bad about keeping that much, but have no idea how to issue a refund for shipping.

Is that individual preferance? Could it back-fire? Do I wait until the package is delivered and then offer it? Or should I not offer it at all?

Thoughts? What would you do?

Message 1 of 52
latest reply
51 REPLIES 51

Re: shipping overage?

d-k_treasures wrote: ... I haven't done one in a few months or so, so I don't know the outcome of this new edict.

What new edict? Trinton cited the fall 2015 seller update.

Message 46 of 52
latest reply

@lookng2015 wrote:
Yes, and isn't that oh-so-convenient?

Nothing like being blindsided out of left field (or sucker punched)

Well, we can give ebay 5 stars for that!

@partial*eclipse wrote:

d-k_treasures wrote: ... I haven't done one in a few months or so, so I don't know the outcome of this new edict.

What new edict? Trinton cited the fall 2015 seller update.

Not for partial shipping refunds(unless is is more than one item in the group).

That 2015 seller slamming was for issuing a full refund without any corresponding ebay message.

And that's the policy that Trinton cited in the post that was linked upthread.  Where is the alleged new policy about partial refunds officially explained?

Message 49 of 52
latest reply

And that's the policy that Trinton cited in the post that was linked upthread.  Where is the alleged new policy about partial refunds officially explained?

It was officially explained in the topic linked ^^^, and in a prior topic that eBay locked (link to it is in the topic linked ^^^).

Obviously the 2015 Update the eBay employee cited for the justification is bogus.  That policy was implemented for items that the seller never shipped, and a shipping refund clearly proves the item was shipped. 

Anyhow, the official eBay employee cited the 2015 Update, and the Knowledge Base, as the official explanation.  And I would consider this far more official than a call to eBay CS, who has far less reliability and official capacity both.

As for the defect, vs. a "secret defect"... I'm not sure where the secret defect part came in.  But the officials cited herein said a defect could be avoided, if a note was sent to the buyer through eBay Messages (not on the PayPal refund) explaining it was for shipping cost reimbursement. 

The Floggings Will Continue Until Morale Improves.
Message 50 of 52
latest reply

And I would consider this far more official than a call to eBay CS, who has far less reliability and official capacity both.

Me too!

As for the defect, vs. a "secret defect"... I'm not sure where the secret defect part came in.

Bubbleman?

But the officials cited herein said a defect could be avoided, if a note was sent to the buyer through eBay Messages (not on the PayPal refund) explaining it was for shipping cost reimbursement. 

This is the part I'd like clarified. What is the note timeframe requirement? Before the refund? Within x minutes of the refund? Or it doesn't matter because the note is outside of the autobot portion of the system and only need be there for CS to look at after the bots issue a defect and the seller calls CS for defect removal?  (or TRS reinstatement  after it is taken away because CS can't remove the defects along the way?)

Message 51 of 52
latest reply

@ted_200 wrote:

It was officially explained in the topic linked ^^^, and in a prior topic that eBay locked (link to it is in the topic linked ^^^).

Obviously the 2015 Update the eBay employee cited for the justification is bogus. .... 

I am saying that Trinton, Griff and the bullet in the knowledge base are wrong.  None of them are "official policies".  

The only official policy that has been quoted is the 2105 seller update which specifically refers to full refunds (because they imply a transaction cancellation).  I have never seen any evidence of anybody ever getting a defect for issuing a partial refund, whereas there are many posts from sellers who have issued partial refunds (without special messages) without getting defects.  

Message 52 of 52
latest reply