cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

selling

Is everyone having lower than average sales?? Am I doing something wrong? The postage charges are going out of sight.

Message 1 of 7
latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

selling

I think the responses will vary from person to person, but it's definitely a bit slower than average on my end. I mentioned this recently on another thread, but no sales days are becoming more common. This used to be an extremely rare occurrence for me. Just had another one today as a matter of fact. Also, I'm down 45% when compared to Q4 last year.

I consider myself an optimist, but the armor is starting to show some cracks as of late.

I am going continue to grind out listings everyday, keep prices competitive and ride this out.  That's all we can do. 

Message 2 of 7
latest reply

selling

I understand USPS has raised its prices just in time for the holiday season. Too bad President Biden didn't get rid of DeJoy whose plan is to destroy the USPS in favour of private couriers, the ones he has his fortune invested in.

Personally, I have learned over the years that November to Dec 25 are a slow to dead period for me. Some years I just closed down entirely.

Then on Boxing Day this start to bounce and stay strong until April or so. This is based on selling here since 1998 in various collectible categories.

You've been selling since 2006? How were your sales in October /November 2019? 2018? The pandemic surge in online selling was very strong in 2020 and 2021, so the comps from those years have to be taken with a grain of salt. While eBay as a company is still profitable, AZ is back to its normal money losing status.

I can understand why during the holiday season you would want to use the fastest possible shipping services, but for the record, from a Canadian, it should not be necessary to use Priority International to get tracking and fast delivery. Have you looked at First Class Parcel International which is also tracked but at the bottom of the list of services ? Would that cheaper service fill your needs? https://postcalc.usps.com/?country=10440

Message 3 of 7
latest reply

selling

You have an interesting assortment of collectibles at "great prices".   Only thing I would suggest not ship heavy item by Priority Mail (FedEx and USPS have cheaper options). 

Message 4 of 7
latest reply

selling

Hi,

Yes, i have been selling on E-bay for more than 15 years and my sales for this November vs last November are down 50% which is significant since my busiest time period is October thru March...I sell books and Christmas items like Hallmark ornaments. I also agree that shipping costs are going up every year PLUS the surcharge the Post Office is imposing during the holiday period. Bottom line, i'm beginning to wonder if Amazon has so eclipsed E-bay that most people are no longer shopping here..and with the continued fee increases from E-bay ( not to mention pushing free shipping and including the shipping costs in determining final seller fees ), more and more sellers are leaving every month....If E-bay management doesn't do something soon, i fear E-bay will become like the tired old strip mall, half empty and populated by venders selling next to nothing or junk.

Message 5 of 7
latest reply

selling

My sales are down too.  In the past I have put my account on time away before Christmas until the new year.  I don't want to worry about some high expectations for getting the item as a gift and it is running late.

evry1nositswindy  •  seller since 2013
Volunteer Community Mentor

Message 6 of 7
latest reply

selling

@siberbunny wrote:

Is everyone having lower than average sales?? Am I doing something wrong? The postage charges are going out of sight.

This selling ID is down but that is because I've only listed a dozen or so items since Sept., so what I have here is just what hasn't sold. Of the things I have listed here since Sept I've sold 90%. My other ID, where I have been listing stuff, is selling pretty much per normal. 

Even if postage rates double, they would be doubling for all platforms as well as online companies, I don't see that effecting the consumer all that much.  On this ID I will, after the holidays, be listing a bunch of vintage electronics in the $50 to $500 range. Which I do most years over the Christmas to New years week, and thru January. They are listed with Calculated Shipping during the USPS "Holiday Surcharge" and into the following "Annual Rate Increase".  Evey year I sell out by March, so if past is prologue the increase this year won't change things. If they want it, they'll buy it. Just as $5 gas didn't slow anything down. 

Message 7 of 7
latest reply