cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

scam?

It shows I am new to eBay, but I am not. Just a new name as I could not remember for the life of me my old info. What is new to me is the scam tactics similar to Craigslist. My buyer sent me a text to send them my PayPal request. I do not remember that ever occurring years ago when I sold, and if I am correct if I do that I am not seller protected? 

What gets me is they have positive feedback, the profile says Canada, they used a florida number with a Texas address.

I said to please pay through eBay and they said ok. Now nothing. I opened  an unpaid item dispute. Does eBay still charge fees if I repost?  (Yes expensive electronic item I look like a new fish ready to be scammed) 

Something in me just wants to be done with this transaction because of the fishyness. 

Message 1 of 10
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

scam?

Ah.

Something you need to understand here.

If you list a valuable cell phone as a zero, you will attract scammers the world around.

There is almost no way you can get this phone sold without using IPR.

View Best Answer in original post

Message 3 of 10
latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

scam?

I said to please pay through eBay and they said ok. Now nothing. I opened  an unpaid item dispute. Does eBay still charge fees if I repost?  (Yes expensive electronic item I look like a new fish ready to be scammed) 

It does sound like you dodged a common scam.  "buy", then work on a naive seller to ship the stuff before being paid.

Consider using BIN/IPR.  Immediate Payment Required.  That filters out anyone not willing to pay first.

Message 2 of 10
latest reply

scam?

Ah.

Something you need to understand here.

If you list a valuable cell phone as a zero, you will attract scammers the world around.

There is almost no way you can get this phone sold without using IPR.

Message 3 of 10
latest reply

scam?

I did not notice that option and will definitely do that once I can figure out how to repost and not owe 30$ for listing. Thank you so much 

Message 4 of 10
latest reply

scam?

I did not notice that option and will definitely do that once I can figure out how to repost and not owe 30$ for listing. Thank you so much 

File the case as soon as you can (48 hours).

Close it as soon as you can (4 days later).

You get your fees back, and can then relist.

You can set your account up to have this done automatically.

Message 5 of 10
latest reply

scam?

Ok perfect. That's what I did. I had googled the answer to this but most searches turned up as a new buyer as well as new seller.  So I thought maybe I was in the clear. But then again if I were a scammer having an established profile would be useful too. Lol.

Here's to hoping in 4 days with better luck AND immediate payment. I knew it was too good to be sold so quick -.- 

Message 6 of 10
latest reply

scam?

@cupcakex13-9wrote:

You did a buy-it-now with best offer, and as long as you don't use any "optional upgrades" you can post up to 50 listings like that per month, with free insertion fees. It doesn't cost anything to use IPR.

The $28 was the final value fee when it sold, and you will get that credited back to your account when the UPI case is closed without payment.

Message 7 of 10
latest reply

scam?

what is IPR?
Message 8 of 10
latest reply

scam?

what is IPR?

Immediate Payment Required.

No sale until paid for.

Message 9 of 10
latest reply