cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

sales tax

Can someone answer this question, please?

Will we have to do anything about reporting sales tax collected at the end of the year? I live in MI I have always reported my sales taxes, which ebay collected, and I sent the money to the state. Will ebay send my collected MI sales tax to MI, or do I have to send it to the state?

Message 1 of 10
latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

sales tax

It MI is a marketplace facilitator state aka eBay collects the tax not you the seller. If this is the case, eBay will remit the tax to the state. You may have to report how much tax was collected and apply it as a credit but it depends on how your state handles sales tax. I would talk to a CPA to make sure of what your state requires you, the seller, to do.

Message 2 of 10
latest reply

sales tax

The taxes have already been collected and paid by eBay as a marketplace, but you will still need to file with your state as a matter of record.  It's best to check with your own state for details.

“The most common way people give up their power is by thinking they don’t have any.”
— Alice Walker

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 3 of 10
latest reply

sales tax

EBAY will start collecting Sales Tax on JANUARY 1, 2020 for State of Michigan.   You would be responsible Sales Tax before January 1, 2020.

Once EBAY starts collecting Sales Tax that will be send directly to your State.   I would check with your State officials to find out if you need to report Sales Tax  in the future.

Message 4 of 10
latest reply

sales tax

Free advice is worth every penny you pay for it.

Phone your state representative. Her office should be able to give you the correct information, or at least the phone number of the office which can answer your questions.

Message 5 of 10
latest reply

sales tax

I am in MI too

Be sure to make a note of what tax ebay collected whether it was through paypal or managed payments and i mean all states they collected for not just MI.

That is not your income but it will show on your 1099 in with gross receipts. You probably dealt with this last year for non MI states but same as me had to file MI sales tax separately

Message 6 of 10
latest reply

sales tax

Do you make more than $20,000 on Ebay?

If you don't, then you don't need to do anything here. The tax is already collected and your done as far as ebay sales.

If you do, then there is a lot for you to do, and that is another story.  

Message 7 of 10
latest reply

sales tax

@sugarnspice777 wrote:

If you don't, then you don't need to do anything here.

Please don't perpetuate this incorrect view of not having  to pay income tax on 'less than $20,000 in sales'. 

As far as the actual topic of sales tax, others have provided the best answer already.

Message 8 of 10
latest reply

sales tax

@sugarnspice777 wrote:

If you don't, then you don't need to do anything here. The tax is already collected and your done as far as ebay sales.

If you do, then there is a lot for you to do, and that is another story.  

I think you're confusing state and federal income tax.  The two have little to do with each other. 

“The most common way people give up their power is by thinking they don’t have any.”
— Alice Walker

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 9 of 10
latest reply

sales tax

You don't need to call anyone -

https://www.michigan.gov/taxes/  will have everything you need. 

— Alice Walker

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 10 of 10
latest reply